• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which sovereign to buy old or new??

Downs523

So if you had the choice to buy...

2019 gold sovereigns £229

Older style sovereigns from circa. 1900 £245

For long term investment which would you buy and why? I like the look of the old sovereigns but are they worth the extra £15? 👍

I vote 2019 gold sovereigns £229 but in my entire stack both gold and silver everything is new (the oldest coins I have 2012 1 oz Silver Rwanda Hippo). I am not very sentimental to the history of the older generation of coins. Depends if you have an affinity towards history and you have enough experience to ensure what you are buying is geniune (easier to achieve IMHO with the newer minted uncirculated coins).

As for when to buy I am also waiting for lower $ gold spot price before buying some 1 oz Gold Yales.

Personally i would get the older sovereign. For the difference in price i will get what i want. The new sovereigns looks like a copper coin - they don't look right to me. So you pay more for what on this forum at least is almost universally accepted as the better looking coin - why wouldn't you be able to recoup that money on sale? If you plan to sell to a dealer then perhaps you won't but if you plan to sell to private individuals then i think you will.

The USD has been strengthening - this makes gold more expensive in GBP terms. There may be some strengthening of Sterling which will make your coin cheaper. You might say a bit but i think a regular purchase of coins means you gradually build up a stack and iron out the bumps in price.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

35 minutes ago, Toshunya86 said:

Why don't the mints simply restrike the old gold coins and turn it into bullion ? I'd love a brand new 20 franc napoleon.

they do sometimes. The 2002 sovereign is an example of an old bullion design. 

Dukats are mostly restrikes  - and look awesome. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

it poses a real problem as per which one is the most liquid. if people start to buy the new ones , the old ones will just move into the numismatic category more than the bullion one (even if at the end of the day it 's gold). In the perspective of a resale  , i'd go for the new ones but i am no expert.

4 hours ago, Toshunya86 said:

Why don't the mints simply restrike the old gold coins and turn it into bullion ? I'd love a brand new 20 franc napoleon.

I'd love clear restricts of the old hammered silver, not much weight but nice strike without the thousands of pounds to buy.

39 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

I'd love clear restricts of the old hammered silver, not much weight but nice strike without the thousands of pounds to buy.

You mean like these? A contact in the US makes them in exactly the same way as they used to. All in 999 silver.

9EDE53D3-3EFD-4A32-AB0D-29E59ADA16CE.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

7 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

You mean like these? A contact in the US makes them in exactly the same way as they used to. All in 999 silver.

9EDE53D3-3EFD-4A32-AB0D-29E59ADA16CE.jpeg

Does he make the british royals shillings like Elizabeth 1st, Charles 1st etc?...would save me spending $100 a time for a half decent one..lol.

5 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Does he make the british royals shillings like Elizabeth 1st, Charles 1st etc?...would save me spending $100 a time for a half decent one..lol.

depends on if he has the dies to make the stamps. He is on Facebook: Alpha Officium

Archived