• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shipping Gold Coins from Finland

Fathallazf

Hello forum 

As i am new in Finland, (used to live in the UK). I went to our local post to send a gold coin but i was told that it is forbidden to send gold through post. I tried to tell him that it is a collectable coin but still he refused..  

Anyone in Finland or anyone with a similar experience who can advice me on how can i send the coin? I checked DHL and i also read that gold cannot be shipped. 

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Thanks 

Strange. Because Posti (finnish post) sells insured international letters and mentions example metals in description.

Remember this because it was expensive and thought that how i ever can sell in this forum/internet when Posti takes something like 40€(?) for shipping in EU.

Few years ago R-Kioski teamed up with DHL. Was expensive too, dont know has it changed.

Edit; tell me correct prices if you get it shipped trough Posti 🙂

It's actually new to me they offer insured shipping for metals these days. Been a while since I last posted outside Finland and then it was mentioned in their terms, if I remember correctly, that sending metals is not allowed. I just sent registered mail knowing I will take a beating if something goes wrong.

Can imagine the 'new' insured service being expensive since these guys take something like 20-25€ for insured delivery within Finland, so perhaps 2-3 times that.

I think DHL did not insure metals last time I checked.

I will also be interested to hear what the Posti guys say and what the price is so please keep us updated.

I’m just as confused as everyone else because the Royal Mint Bullion regularly delivers bullion over £250 by DHL Express despite the carrier being prohibited from sending “bullion (of any precious metal)”. DHL is also prohibited from sending “commemorative coins and medals with an individual or total shipment value in excess of £2,000”.

2 minutes ago, Murph said:

Are wages and the cost of living high in Finland or do the postal service just overcharge?

Posti (postal service) been strugling with China ecommerce, i guess.

There is also lack of competition, poor management, not enough staff at ground level, expensive adventure to Russia and other mistakes. Now they try to make euros in other ways too, example last summer you could order postman to do gardening.

Living costs depend who you ask. I would say that those are high.

Hello, sorry i was busy lately! So ya i went to the post and asked about the insured postage for metals, he said that it is not allowed to send money or valuables “internationally” but it can be sent within finland otherwise. 

I told him ok can i just say that it is a collectible? He said that he cant say yes or no but no one can stop me from doing so..

i went today to send a coin and for some reason she didn't even ask what are the contents!  She just asked if i want it to be tracked or normal? Normal is 8.50 euros and tracked is 35 euros..  

So yea you can send gold and money inside finland but not elsewhere.

I hope this helps  

Archived