• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2016 Korean Chiwoo Disapointment.

Alphakaz

Just received a 1oz silver 2016 Chiwoo Cheonwang  BU medal in the post from a German website.. ( only EU coin I could find ) ,the listing gave the full description  and a picture of a coin in a capsule, turns out the picture was generic and the coin was in a waxed paper flip style envelope and not a capsule.

The coin has obvious toning to one face and rim,  the coin also has milk spotting and two tiny dings on the rim , I have been advised I cannot return the coin after all of the above was reported back to Aurinum dot de and the reason for not being able to do so was  " this is normal for older silver coins and a sign of genuine silver"

I know the coin is bullion and not proof, but I do not have one bullion coin or round in my collection with issues like this coin.

I will keep it , but I could have purchased a MS70 coin in a slab for not much more money, Huge note to self to ask more precise questions in future if  there are not enough pictures of the actual coin to back up its description.

Thanks for sharing that @Alphakaz  and frustrating to read.  I have been buying a few of these Korean medals from different buyers and there is one thing (at least...) i have noticed also about some of the European dealers on eBay. Its that some of them show on the first picture the proof coin ....but in fact they are selling the BU coin (which they show in later pictures). Sneaky tactics.  But your issue is a different one, I know. Personally I think its fair that here on the Forum you can name the particular seller so that the rest of us are aware who they were. Was the seller one of those listed in our “recommended mints “ list here? 

Lindeman

Sorry to hear your bad experience with this coin/round, and the response " this is normal for older silver coins and a sign of genuine silver" in my opinion is absolute rubbish. And I concur with the previous comment that it will be a good idea to "name and shame" the supplier, so other members are aware of the attitude shown when receiving a genuine complaint.

Rob

Rob6

Small scratches, dings etc, are pretty par for the course with some bullion coins.  More so if they aren't sent from the mint in capsules. The milk spots should probably have been mentioned though.

I haven't bought from that seller in a long time but in the past when they did make a mistake they offered to let me return the coin or buy the higher graded one again at a reduced price.

Not the worlds best service but far from the worst either.

Maybe a bit more pushing will result in a slight price reduction, unless it was cheap to start with?

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Small scratches, dings etc, are pretty par for the course with some bullion coins.  More so if they aren't sent from the mint in capsules. The milk spots should probably have been mentioned though.

I haven't bought from that seller in a long time but in the past when they did make a mistake they offered to let me return the coin or buy the higher graded one again at a reduced price.

Not the worlds best service but far from the worst either.

Maybe a bit more pushing will result in a slight price reduction, unless it was cheap to start with?

So scratches and dings are okay, but milk spotting is not? 😂 I take it that you're not familiar with this round. It's the most expensive of the series. It should have NO dings or sractches if not described as such.

It's bullion isn't it and it's not a new coin.  I take it that it sold for the same sort of price the 2018 and 2019 sell for new so not any dearer than many other bullion silver pieces sell for?

Was it misdescribed or misrepresented in some way?  If no condition is mentioned you can't assume any possibly secondhand coin will be perfect.

I have seen them but haven't paid any real attention to prices as I thought they were yet another passing fad and didn't find them particularly attractive.

When you're buying bullion you have to expect some marks unless you buy in person, see a picture of the coin or find a dealer that is willing to discuss and guarantee the condition.  It depends on how they come from the mint as well.  If they come in individual capsules like Perth mint coins you wouldn't expect damage (unless you're buying used coins where you have to make sure prior to buying.)

Who hasn't been bitten buying used coins that aren't pictured properly or at all.  I've had proofs with marks that have been sold at just under full price but unless they have been described as in perfect condition or generic pictures were misrepresented that's life.

I highly doubt he paid what the new Chiwoo rounds are selling for. The 2016 Chiwoo you are lucky to purchase a BU version for under $100 US. APMEX did have a ding and scratch version of the 2016 chiwoo up on their site but that still commanded $75 US.. 

11 hours ago, Murph said:

It's bullion isn't it and it's not a new coin.  I take it that it sold for the same sort of price the 2018 and 2019 sell for new so not any dearer than many other bullion silver pieces sell for?

Was it misdescribed or misrepresented in some way?  If no condition is mentioned you can't assume any possibly secondhand coin will be perfect.

I have seen them but haven't paid any real attention to prices as I thought they were yet another passing fad and didn't find them particularly attractive.

When you're buying bullion you have to expect some marks unless you buy in person, see a picture of the coin or find a dealer that is willing to discuss and guarantee the condition.  It depends on how they come from the mint as well.  If they come in individual capsules like Perth mint coins you wouldn't expect damage (unless you're buying used coins where you have to make sure prior to buying.)

Who hasn't been bitten buying used coins that aren't pictured properly or at all.  I've had proofs with marks that have been sold at just under full price but unless they have been described as in perfect condition or generic pictures were misrepresented that's life.

After reading this all I can say is that it must be real poopy trying to buy nice things in the UK. It's almost as if you already expect things to be poop before you get it. Now I understand why you people say "it's doesn't matter, it's just bullion".

Archived