• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

South Korea Chiwoo Series - Is it dead or should I continue this series

NorthEast

Morning Guys - 

Saw provident metals yesterday put up a flash sale and they were offering Britannia's, Australian Koala and South Kores ZI:SIN Canis rounds. I only had one BU Canis and when I saw them at $17.45/Per round I had to get 5. Two hours later all the Britannia's are sold out and the Koala's are sold out as well. The Canis round had only moved 100 rounds where as the other two sold hundreds in hours. Since the start I have been into the Komsco stuff buying at least 1 of every release they have. The privy's, the 10 oz'ers, the gold etc... 

If no one cares about this series though I don't want to continue to pump my hard earned money into this series. I fear when I go to sell in 20 years the premium will be nothing and I will have taken a huge hit. 

What are your guys thoughts on these series? Does anyone collect them or am I pissing money away continuing to collect this series.. Do you think the premiums will rise or will this series die a horrible death and be worth nothing more than a generic round? I feel the amount of variations and different releases they are doing is watering down their brand and it might really end up hurting them.. Too greedy to cash in the on the initial success perhaps? 

Thanks!

I liked the look of the series, then all these variants started coming out and it put me right off. I sold what I had and invested in other things, but that was also as I wanted to invest in something I could display. 

The series looked promising and there are great designs in the series, but was too much for me when 3 different Scrofa's appeared. 

I am still collecting the series - but mainly because i like the visual designs more than any faith in these becoming hidden semi-numismatic gems! 

I agree that its odd to go from a simple ZiSIN annual design to the 3 variants of the Scrofa in 2019.  Gotta love the Scrofa Ghost though. At that pace it will become unattractive pretty quickly. Still - the Cheonwang series is also running in parallel, again with a strong design in the series (so far).  

Are these a better bet (as investment) than Engelhard or Scottsdale Reserve rounds? I doubt it.  One nice thing for the KOMSCO series is the matt finish to them, which makes it less likely to show spotting and imperfections.   

3 minutes ago, Lindeman said:

One nice thing for the KOMSCO series is the matt finish to them, which makes it less likely to show spotting and imperfections.   

I agree, the matte finish is very nice. Almost pearlescent in the right light 👌

Dont get me wrong I love the rounds and the designs. Ghost is an awesome round for sure. They just dont help the avg cost bottom line. Esp the $379 10 oz zi:sin’s.. the collector in me loves them though even if my calculations dont haha

• 11 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but figured better then creating a new one. Anyone have any information on the Zi:Sin series when you go to the Komsoc website it still has the Scrofa listed as “New”. This was one of the few series I am still collecting along with QB 2oz and Congo Gorillas so hope it is not discontinued perhaps just an effect from the virus. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure this thread is U.S. or U.K. 

Just my opinion.. I started selling these because I saw great potential. 

As most of you mentioned, the designs and quality are top notch. 

One thing I want to add. As collectors, you're not bound by the variants. I do carry all of them, but only because different people have different styles. My personal collection does not include the variants. I do have the main designs though. The beauty of these series is that the variants aren't missed. You still have a strong collection of you stick with the basic designs and sizes. 

Check my threads for prices (shameless plug). They're not out of reach yet. The first Chiwoo is up there in price now, and the 2017 is also starting to climb. To me, that's a good sign. 

Anyway, just my thoughts. Thanks for reading. 

🚩 Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/StackingUK . More content coming. Please Like & Subscribe.
Please be sure to FOLLOW me on The Silver Forum to not miss great deals or to just find that coin that got away. 

Archived