• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sheffield plate worth anything?

universalcurrency

I was browsing the local charity shops and came across what looked liked a sweet bowl by James Dixon labelled marked as Sheffield plate.  My question is are there any makers of Sheffield plate that are worth more that the melt value, eg for the craftmanship, collector value etc?

The thought did cross my mind that many charity shops or junkshops might overlook the collector value just because it is not real silver hence a potential flipping opportunity?

Sadly I didnt take a picture of the sweet bowl as an example, it didnt have any hallmarks I recognised, just a few letter stamps and a company crest soldered to the base.

I may be wrong, however I thought there was a difference between electroplate and sheffield plate in the means of application, the former electro-chemical and the latter mechanical?

Eg this example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Fine-18thC-Old-Sheffield-Plate-Wine-Ewer-Wine-Jug-c1790/312366316009?hash=item48ba7bb9e9:g:FVAAAOSwdytayI8V

Answers on  a postcard to the usual address....

You can’t really assign a melt value to plated items.  You have no way of knowing how thick the plating is so no way to tell the silver content.  It will be extremely thin in either case and to extract it would likely cost more in time and materials than the value of silver reclaimed.

According to Phoebe Phillips 'Collectors Encyclopedia of Antiques' the golden years for sheffield plate were from around 1750-1840.  It died out in the 1850's due to advances in electroplating.

Sheffield plate "is a method by which a thin sheet of sterling silver is fused to a core of copper."  Early examples only one side was plated, however from 1763 double plating was perfected.

Apparently sheffield plate rose in popularity due to the duty of 6 pence per Oz imposed on silverware and that the same sheffield platers were also skilled at silversmithing leading to some high quality pieces.

That's about the sum total of my knowledge, however I anyone knows of any particular makers to look out for I'd be interested to hear more....

Archived