• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

BackyardBullion

I made a huge mistake - assay test failure!

Just now, Pipers said:

I am not insinuating anything. 

You are running a business.  You asked for comments I gave you my opinion.  

Kimchi  stated   =  Ofc it would be, but I didn't get the impression at all from the video that BYB has let the buyer take any loss whatsoever, in fact knowing (somewhat, after a lot of purchases) how he operates I would be astounded if he had..........

I asked him to ask you.  

BYB you have grown your business selling silver bars with the Edinburgh assay hallmarks on and good for you well done.   something goes wrong. I only asked if you were going to look after your customer, then Kimchi made a statement.  I replied to him, not you.  I insinuated nothing.     

IMO the customer has a bar that is below the quality what you usually sell because the Edinburgh Assay office would not stamp it.  If it was me i would of made the customer a offer of a small gift on top. 

I am not trying to start an argument.   

Fair enough, let's just move on from this then.

3 minutes ago, Pipers said:

I am not trying to start an argument.   

It seems to me like you are. No-one mentioned any loss to the customer except for you. You said (without evidence) that the losses were passed on to the buyer (and - imvho - insinuated more).

4 minutes ago, Pipers said:

I asked him to ask you.

I don't really feel I need to. Feel free to ask him yourself, we are all big boys here. I'm sure you are brave enough to ask BYB a question having already called his integrity into question (imho).

I've watched the video and if nothing else @BackyardBullion has been as honest as ever and even put it out there for people to see and know what has happened.

It is truly a brilliant bar and imo the buyer losses out on a hallmark but gains a pure gold bar and now they can say it has extra silver space dust included 😂.

So if anything the buyer has extra included in the bar with the free silver 

Just curious but if somehow you found out that the contamination only on the surface managed to get rid of if would the Edinburgh assay office be willing to re-test the same bar or do they have some rule once something fails it needs to be remelted? If you were to remelt it again would this not get rid of any contamination?

1 minute ago, Abyss said:

Just curious but if somehow you found out that the contamination only on the surface managed to get rid of if would the Edinburgh assay office be willing to re-test the same bar or do they have some rule once something fails it needs to be remelted? If you were to remelt it again would this not get rid of any contamination?

They would retest it happily enough. They were incredibly helpful in giving advice on ways to do this too. 

But, the ultimate decision was to not do it, nor melt it down.

Melting it down is bad for a few reasons. If the contamination is more than a few surface specs it wouldn't solve the problem.

Secondly, and in my opinion most importantly, this is my first ever stunning looking gold ripple bar. It now carries with it quite a story and provenance to it too. It just seems wrong to melt it down and be done with it.

Lr103 has just got himself bargain some very high valued premium gold :). I don't think you are going to be pouring gold anytime soon (until work out all the logistics) and this is the only gold bar in the world with your signature leaf. First ripple Gold bar with COA 001# with not one but two dedicated BYB videos.

BYB is in my view a GREAT and Honest guy. I know him and his family... (not just his wife) work hard on ensuring quality. He decided to put this video out to my relief and gratefulness, to show and highlight that 1) the Assay office does a heck of a job. 2) that simple mistakes are easy ( we see videos of people using other metals in the same molds for example ) 3) despite ALL his HARD work and efforts, a combination or a single act can cause a failure.

As someone who has Just passed my first batch of 22 items sent into the Edinburgh Assay Office (  Thank you BYB ) I can honestly say its a stressful wait. Although I have done everything in my power to ensure the Silver was .999+  And after sterilizing the work area for Silver pouring. I still had concerns. It was only when I received a text, then email and followed by a phone call within minutes of each other to pay the assay office that I was happy.

I take my hat off to BYB and to Lr103 whom both worked together on a NEW and exciting venture. I know and have learned ALOT by another's mistake. I have ZERO plans to pour anything but Silver for the foreseeable future. And I am again Grateful that BYB decided to share a mistake. This was painful, A lot of time and effort went into this. Forget costs which are nearly impossible to forget, but think of how deflated you would be. I know if I ever fail a assay test I will be very concerned. BYB is a TOP tier customer of the Edinburgh assay office (EAO)   I am at the bottom, and trust is earned. But make a mistake and you will know about it.

To @BackyardBullion you know your a inspiration to me, a humble hobbyist who pours silver to try to focus my mind from the my physical pain, as well as making the occasional pens. I would never have dreamed of doing anything without the help of you and others on this forum. I honestly could name loads of people including Chris the site owner. But you and your family have really helped me through tough times. And got me off my back side to either make a pen or to create a website etc. You provided a lot of motivation when I was really down. It doesn't show in my videos a lot, but I am always a supporter and fan of your dedication and assistance. I joked about you being the one to blame... the real message in this was you're the reason I was and am able to be motivated. Thank you.

Jon.

17 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Fair enough, let's just move on from this then.

Fine I agree.  

17 hours ago, kimchi said:

It seems to me like you are. No-one mentioned any loss to the customer except for you. You said (without evidence) that the losses were passed on to the buyer (and - imvho - insinuated more).

I don't really feel I need to. Feel free to ask him yourself, we are all big boys here. I'm sure you are brave enough to ask BYB a question having already called his integrity into question (imho).

I thought we had moved on.  

Sorry to hear this went wrong, when I saw the pouring video a few weeks ago I looked at this bar with envy and I still look at it with envy knowing that there is some silver in it as well as gold.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us anyways, that's why I love this forum, unlike the outside world this forum is filled with honest members.

Am I reading this right, call me devils advocate here. Someone has bought a bar of gold and paid spot price for the weight - plus a premium - and in return received a bar that isn't 999 fine and doesn't have a hallmark or way to easily prove authenticity or carat of the metal. At least the buyer is happy though I don't know why. 

How do you sell on a bar of gold like this? Is it now a collectors item? 

5 hours ago, KDave said:

Am I reading this right, call me devils advocate here. Someone has bought a bar of gold and paid spot price for the weight - plus a premium - and in return received a bar that isn't 999 fine and doesn't have a hallmark or way to easily prove authenticity or carat of the metal. At least the buyer is happy though I don't know why. 

Play devil's advocate all you like, but I have a happy customer (see above) and that's all that really matters.

7 hours ago, KDave said:

There is provenance, there is documented history, and in the end a customer that likes the bar for whatever it is. I would be happy to own it too despite the silver snafu. Fact is it was the first attempt, taken into account with the customer @Lr103 and eventually their opinion trumps. 

Think about it this way too, BYB normal silver bars are at significant premium, even at 999 - you can only sell them on to another BYB enthusiast or hand pour enthusiast. The gold will retain its value if you melt and refine (which can be done at a fairly low cost if you have the contacts) - but an art bar collector may be happy to have this bar with its proven provenance as is. 

That's an excellent sales pitch. The gold will retain its value if you melt and refine it? Another way of saying the metal is not worth what was paid. It's now a collectors item that can be sold to others who know/trust byb? Another description would be - an extremely limited market for resale. 

Let's be honest please all these sales pitches are too much. It's not an art bar it's a mistake, the thread title says it, the video says it. The customer is happy to take the hit on his gold. It seems everyone has different reasoning as to why. 

Thanks for sharing the video. I really enjoyed watching this. 

Just as an aside, I see people paying hundreds of pounds on eBay for 15th and 16th century silver coins where the date is hardly even visible. I am not comparing these two items, but I would suggest that the relationship between buyer and seller/producer is the most important and if there is trust and integrity, no issues should arise.