• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

US 90%

gary

Hi--all---my name is Gary--retired joiner with plenty of time on my hands and fairly recently became interested in US const. silver along with some UK stuff as well--namely half crowns--silver threepences.  US coins are not really plentiful as far as I can see in the UK--correct me if I'm wrong--so I ordered a bag of $5 face pre 65 mixed which came back yesterday--just to test how easy it is to buy this stuff--it came from CANADA--through Silver/Bull UK-based in London--I was expecting a long wait if it came at all as I have heard of some non deliveries when buying from US and CANADA--but it came through my letterbox after 6 days--which surprised me (hence-$5 face as opposed to anything larger).One drawback was by the time you added the shipping and dreaded vat.you can forget spot or anything near it--but it has proved to me not to fear buying from the US or in this case Canada.I'm looking for supplier preferably in the UK--reliable and reasonably priced.There's a lot to learn about this---and I thought binoculars were a very deep subject--after many years of using and collecting these.--Eyes are going now -way past the dioptre adjustment on some of the models.--hope to speak to soon---regards Gary.

34 minutes ago, gary said:

Hi--all---my name is Gary--retired joiner with plenty of time on my hands and fairly recently became interested in US const. silver along with some UK stuff as well--namely half crowns--silver threepences.  US coins are not really plentiful as far as I can see in the UK--correct me if I'm wrong--so I ordered a bag of $5 face pre 65 mixed which came back yesterday--just to test how easy it is to buy this stuff--it came from CANADA--through Silver/Bull UK-based in London--I was expecting a long wait if it came at all as I have heard of some non deliveries when buying from US and CANADA--but it came through my letterbox after 6 days--which surprised me (hence-$5 face as opposed to anything larger).One drawback was by the time you added the shipping and dreaded vat.you can forget spot or anything near it--but it has proved to me not to fear buying from the US or in this case Canada.I'm looking for supplier preferably in the UK--reliable and reasonably priced.There's a lot to learn about this---and I thought binoculars were a very deep subject--after many years of using and collecting these.--Eyes are going now -way past the dioptre adjustment on some of the models.--hope to speak to soon---regards Gary.

I have some silver Pre47 silver .500 coins if your interested?

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

2 hours ago, StackSellRepeat said:

I have some silver Pre47 silver .500 coins if your interested?

Hi SSR---many thanks for your reply---sorry I'm late answering--I've just got back in--the wife doesn't seem to understand what retirement means--I only collect-halfcrowns or silver threepences in the UK coinage --but US anything barring commemorative and notes. What have you got-----Gary.

3 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Id suggest putting a wanted post in the trade section.

https://thesilverforum.com/forum/13-uk-europe/

Ive had them for spot occasionally on ebay too

HI---H.H--many thanks for your reply to my post this afternoon---I'll be trying what you advised and see what happens--let you know how I get on---regards  Gary

Depending on how much you want you may be interested in the 1kg lot that the European Mint sells. There will be postage on top but no extra VAT for the foreseeable future given where things stand with Brexit.

Barring anything that comes up for sale here on The Silver Forum this I believe is the cheapest I've seen this sort of US coinage available for UK purchase.

https://www.europeanmint.com/1-kilo-90-percent-junk-silver-coins/

I don't know if backyard Bullion is setting up another group order but that might be the way to go....here I  the states it's obviously easy to get junk silver but being an ex pat I know it's not so easy to come by british silver, and shipping is a night are which is why I order notes instead of weighty silver.

4 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Depending on how much you want you may be interested in the 1kg lot that the European Mint sells. There will be postage on top but no extra VAT for the foreseeable future given where things stand with Brexit.

Barring anything that comes up for sale here on The Silver Forum this I believe is the cheapest I've seen this sort of US coinage available for UK purchase.

https://www.europeanmint.com/1-kilo-90-percent-junk-silver-coins/

HI A,Z&M--many thanks for your reply to my post earlier--1kilo for 482.91 euros plus carriage--that seems pretty good to me--I will certainly be looking into that--it's great to receive some help on issues like this as I have struggled so far --information- wise and probably paid over the odds on some items I've purchased--but I suppose that's all part of the experience---once again I thank you for the information--hope to speak with you again sometime--best wishes and regards--Gary.

1 hour ago, gary said:

HI A,Z&M--many thanks for your reply to my post earlier--1kilo for 482.91 euros plus carriage--that seems pretty good to me--I will certainly be looking into that--it's great to receive some help on issues like this as I have struggled so far --information- wise and probably paid over the odds on some items I've purchased--but I suppose that's all part of the experience---once again I thank you for the information--hope to speak with you again sometime--best wishes and regards--Gary.

Happy to help. @BackyardBullion and mrs Backyardbullion have done some great vids sorting through the lot of these coins they bought from the European Mint. Gives you a chance to see the sort of thing you could get. I believe this is the first such video but there have been a few more. Well worth checking out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm_IcKF5-ok

@AppleZippoandMetronome thanks buddy, we have 5 videos done on these coins now, great fun and something Mrs BYB enjoys too.

Possibly our best video yet though is out this weekend.....our doggie gets involved!

Screenshot_20190411-214029.thumb.png.5dcb8f720c001d1c3dc8f23dbf0eb400.png

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

11 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

@gary, Welcome aboard The Silver Forum!

HI--CG--thanks for the welcome-hope to speak to you soon---still trying to negotiate the forum--retired and not 100% compatible with computers -so bear with me  --many thanks-Gary

16 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I don't know if backyard Bullion is setting up another group order but that might be the way to go....here I  the states it's obviously easy to get junk silver but being an ex pat I know it's not so easy to come by british silver, and shipping is a night are which is why I order notes instead of weighty silver.

I watch U tube regularly and enjoy people like--silver joker etc.nipping down to the local coin shop and having a look around--I say local but local in the US is probably a long drive relative to the UK--I really envy you guys out there--the shops seem to have buckets full of const: silver--but here in the UK there are very few actual coin shops-never mind US currency and most of my time is spent searching on line--I picked up a lovely walking liberty  half       recently on line--1943(no mint mark)--so I'm assuming it's a P minted coin.--really nice condition--12.48 grams so it looks genuine.they can be really; what I would class as expensive over here-the odd decent lot sometimes comes up on ebay-but you are competing with a lot of opposition-which normally means-high price---US coinage seems to be very popular in the UK --sorry for late reply and many thanks for the advice --regards  Gary.

You can always find a source you like and ask them to combine shipping from here to you then buy in bulk to what you can afford...I know I bought a coin from,britain and the shipping was about £11 to get here so the coin had to be a great deal...but if I'd bought a handful then figure the shipping being around the same for a small box with tracking then they work out to be more acceptable...you could buy a whitman book which is full or mostly and that could contain 20-30 coins from a die type then the shipping is a matter of 10p a coin...just like getting the kilo of constitutional from the eu...the shipping is tiny compared to the cost per coin.

8 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

You can always find a source you like and ask them to combine shipping from here to you then buy in bulk to what you can afford...I know I bought a coin from,britain and the shipping was about £11 to get here so the coin had to be a great deal...but if I'd bought a handful then figure the shipping being around the same for a small box with tracking then they work out to be more acceptable...you could buy a whitman book which is full or mostly and that could contain 20-30 coins from a die type then the shipping is a matter of 10p a coin...just like getting the kilo of constitutional from the eu...the shipping is tiny compared to the cost per coin.

8 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

HI DC. thanks for the reply--how reliable is the eu mint and how about delivery times--do you have to pay import charges to get anything in to the US- it can be a minefield importing into the UK.--which UK coins if any are you collecting -is there a specific denomination you prefer or is it aimed more towards the 925 content of pre 1920 coinage--regards Gary.

10 minutes ago, gary said:

HI DC. thanks for the reply--how reliable is the eu mint and how about delivery times--do you have to pay import charges to get anything in to the US- it can be a minefield importing into the UK.--which UK coins if any are you collecting -is there a specific denomination you prefer or is it aimed more towards the 925 content of pre 1920 coinage--regards Gary.

Backyard Bullion has some group orders he runs from the eu mint which I'm sure he will probably run another or two now the delay in brexit runs till october...I don't use the eu mint as I collect onky us mint pre 65 coins and now just historical type set (almost completed a capped bust set and then onto the next set...but if I orderred from the uk I'd make sure to get several coins in the set...ordering a consituational 1 kilo bag from the eu would make no sense as I can drive under 5 miles to my LCS and buy $1000 worth of 90% junk for no shipping at all.

If BYB does another order you could,advertise on here to get someone to share a bag or order one yourself and reduce the shipping costs...they are constitutional silver, BYB and Mrs BYB have their video of going through their bag ... im presently looking around thrt stores to find them some Whitman books as the cost over there can be silly.

3 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Backyard Bullion has some group orders he runs from the eu mint which I'm sure he will probably run another or two now the delay in brexit runs till october...I don't use the eu mint as I collect onky us mint pre 65 coins and now just historical type set (almost completed a capped bust set and then onto the next set...but if I orderred from the uk I'd make sure to get several coins in the set...ordering a consituational 1 kilo bag from the eu would make no sense as I can drive under 5 miles to my LCS and buy $1000 worth of 90% junk for no shipping at all.

If BYB does another order you could,advertise on here to get someone to share a bag or order one yourself and reduce the shipping costs...they are constitutional silver, BYB and Mrs BYB have their video of going through their bag ... im presently looking around thrt stores to find them some Whitman books as the cost over there can be silly.

Thanks--DC for your help--wasn't aware that BB did this and have not seen any of their videos yet --I'll search U tube and check these out--what you call thrift stores over there are known as charity shops in the UK.--I visit them regularly--but numismatic items are very rare in these places and they mostly contain furniture and general items.I will certainly go to the BB site have a look what's what there---many thanks once again--speak to you soon---G.

1 hour ago, gary said:

Thanks--DC for your help--wasn't aware that BB did this and have not seen any of their videos yet --I'll search U tube and check these out--what you call thrift stores over there are known as charity shops in the UK.--I visit them regularly--but numismatic items are very rare in these places and they mostly contain furniture and general items.I will certainly go to the BB site have a look what's what there---many thanks once again--speak to you soon---G.

I'm an ex pat so know Britain very well, didn't move over here till 2003...I found the best places for silver purchases tended to be the auction rooms...but you had to know your onions to avoid plate....sometimes local jewelry shops had coins but never really much...you had to save up and then have an away day to the big city and buy from there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder & Administrator

Welcome to The Silver Forum

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Archived