• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

200th Anniversary of Birth of Queen Vic Royal Mint Series (ere we go again)

Oldun

Here we go again......most noticeable is that it seems the sotd sovereign has now become a “thing” designed to celebrate any old thing......full retard...matte finish, sotd, 650 mintage, Viccy’s royal cypher mark from back in the day....HOUSE ! Do I win a free car ? Someone is so desperate to make a “first” coin, they are screwing the pooch...swerve big time from me..but to those who buy, enjoy. I do like the double portrait design but not at those prices.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/queen-victoria/

The RM are trying to constantly create “firsts” with the sovs recently but a 200th anniversary of someone being born is not a strong reason in my opinion and they know it. Hence, they have chucked in a royal cypher mark and the cheaper matte finish as hooks to sell em.....no price on these sovs yet...

650 is high for a pointless anniversary but diehard gotta have it to keep up collectors will cough up the money.

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

The RM are trying to constantly create “firsts” with the sovs recently but a 200th anniversary of someone being born is not a strong reason in my opinion and they know it. Hence, they have chucked in a royal cypher mark and the cheaper matte finish as hooks to sell em.....no price on these sovs yet...

650 is high for a pointless anniversary but diehard gotta have it to keep up collectors will cough up the money.

Spoke to the mint today - looks like £500 for this SOTD

Not for me. I have 2 x 2017 sotd plain edges msdpl70s. I cannot see this 200th anniversary doing better than those and personally would prefer to spend £500 bones on a couple of low premium bullion sovs at this stage in the game to rebalance my numismatic and bullion percentages. For others, it will be different :) 

2 hours ago, Oldun said:

Here we go again......most noticeable is that it seems the sotd sovereign has now become a “thing” designed to celebrate any old thing......full retard...matte finish, sotd, 650 mintage, Viccy’s royal cypher mark from back in the day....HOUSE ! Do I win a free car ? Someone is so desperate to make a “first” coin, they are screwing the pooch...swerve big time from me..but to those who buy, enjoy. I do like the double portrait design but not at those prices.

https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/events/queen-victoria/

This just highlights why I think the Royal Mint should issue at the start of the year a list of all their forthcoming releases.

The regular Matt proof sovereign has a max mintage of 25,000 at £365 per coin, whereas this SOTD Matt proof has a maximum mintage of 650 at about £500 a coin.  If we had this information at the start of the year I bet a lot of people would just go for the SOTD coin.  Perhaps this is why the Royal Mint refuses to publish a comprehensive list of forthcoming releases.

Blimey...the Mint surpass themselves yet again...:blink:

8 hours ago, Oldun said:

matte finish, sotd, 650 mintage, Viccy’s royal cypher mark from back in the day....HOUSE ! Do I win a free car ?

You missed plain edge! :P

It does look a nice coin in the matt finish. The Royal Mint say its a special matt finish so what makes the finish different to any other matt finish sovereign??

vc19std-the-200th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-queen-victoria-celbration-sovereign-obverse.jpg.bd4cc43f46911b2cfa9a822b09ed0fab.jpg                vc19std-the-200th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-queen-victoria-celebration-sovereign-reverse-detail.jpg.2eddd68a98397f20db825ad7e2a72de0.jpg

3 hours ago, Wolves said:

It does look a nice coin in the matt finish. The Royal Mint say its a special matt finish so what makes the finish different to any other matt finish sovereign??

vc19std-the-200th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-queen-victoria-celbration-sovereign-obverse.jpg.bd4cc43f46911b2cfa9a822b09ed0fab.jpg                vc19std-the-200th-anniversary-of-the-birth-of-queen-victoria-celebration-sovereign-reverse-detail.jpg.2eddd68a98397f20db825ad7e2a72de0.jpg

Maybe this one is finished by a guy called Matt? That would be another historical, groundbreaking first for a Sovereign - yes, another matt finish, but this time actually done by Matt!

Archived