• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Coin Specifications & Errors When Blindly Copying

Pete

I recently purchased some 2oz silver Kookaburras from the forum and one coin did not have a capsule ( the seller made this clear ).
I have now started looking for a suitable clear capsule and my first instinct was to check the quoted diameters on various websites.
Nearly all websites show the 2 oz Kook diameter as 53.3mm whilst Apmex stated 50.3mm.

I therefore measured the true diameter of my coin ( and I have several from different years ) at 50.0mm
All my others rattled a tiny bit inside their original Perth Mint capsules and the cap inner diameter was measured at 50.3mm

I have therefore ordered some 50mm diameter capsules on eBay and hope ( expect ! ) the coin to fit.

My immediate conclusion is that most dealers never bother to check coin specifications before publishing on their websites and go to ( most probably ) "Wikipedia" for supposedly accurate data.
Exactly - Wiki stated the diameter as 53.3mm - so everyone almost appears to be copying and pasting data from Wiki - blindly.

I then, for the first time, discovered that I could simply edit Wikipedia so I have changed the diameter specification today to read 50.3mm

Two things came to mind - how easy it was to change something as important as a coin specification and how can you trust anything when trying to ensure you are not buying fakes when the data itself can be manipulated ? Just a thought !!

PS - I have an old copy of the World Coins catalogue by Krause ( the standard catalogue ) and for a 2 oz Kook the diameter is specified at 50 mm

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

I have some spare genuine 2 oz perth mint capsules but they didn't come cheap.

What are you asking to part with 1 please ?

Archived