• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

sleonard

Birmingham Silver cross with pig head, ID help please

Well this is Birmingham Sterling silver - the anchor denotes Birmingham Sterling silver. The Lion Passant denotes English Sterling Silver.

The year mark is a bit confusing - the shape of the surround puts it in the 1849 - 1874 or 2000 - 2024 series. It is not the 1849 - 1874 series as the letter is lowercase - the earlier series was uppercase. i think the year mark is upside down when using the lion as the orientation reference, if you flip the year mark upside down it appears to be a lowercase a. This makes it a 2000 year piece.

925.gif2000-20xx.gif2000a.gif

becomes this

image.png.c8e7b4a427cfd946f42ceda3153e119c.png

i don't know what this maker mark is - it would have to be a millennium period maker to fit with the date mark - it appears to be H. N & Co. Maybe someone else here has an idea.

Edited by sixgun

Yes i suspect you are correct for three reasons - it basically looks the same - the beginning of that date series had a circular surround but then they played fast and loose and threw in the squares with chamfered corners, which became the surround for the end of the series. The other point is the orientation of the anchour - the last thing is the style of the piece which doesn't exactly shout out year 2000 - so i agree with you, this is 

1891-1899.gif1898y.gif  - and is 1898

Now that then helps with the marker mark.

We might be looking at this - this is given as Henry Nathan & Co, Fore Street, London EC - not a Birmingham maker but where i found this it says this is a list of makers who sent their pieces to the Birmingham Assay Office - so i think this will be it. http://www.chineseargent.com/home/birmingham-h-2

1.jpg

On another resource it would appear this makers mark came from a gold ring made in 1900 - so the period is correct.

I think you have a silver piece made by a London maker - Henry Nathan in 1898. Nice.

Edited by sixgun