• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Keeping track of your stack value

Butler106

Guys,

apologies if this is a stupid Q or has been asked a million times before.

do you all keep a track / spreadsheet of every items you buy and how much you paid?

i have read about CGT and wondered if I should start making a note of all the prices I’ve paid for my coins.?

or is this just for really big stackers? I’ve only just started and lucky if I have 10oz yet. 🤣🙈

seen this picture on a for sale thread that prompted my question.

thanks 👍

285376C0-A623-4B49-BB4C-85A44BC23C07.png

Definitely do it, I just use my  MacBook's Numbers app, I keep the following information:

Name and weight of the coin

purchase price

Spot price at the time of purchase

Date of purchase 

Premium price

premium percentage

Name of dealer/Seller

Mint year of the coin

Total price paid for the whole stack

Total weight  of the whole stack

Total number of the coins

Total premium paid over spot price for the whole stack

Every time I look at my spread sheet, it gives me a clear idea of what I have been doing so far and what I should be doing next.

And I also have a different spread sheet for the coins that I sold, so I know how much profit or loss I made on a coin and in total as well, so I know which coins to avoid in the future and opposite.

Similar to Nick, I use a spreadsheet with as much detail as I am willing to type in. But I try to add at least the Purchase price, Seller, Spot price at the time and any other costs (postage, VAT, currency exchange rate etc). Premium is calculated based on all costs that were involved in a specific purchase. I plan on labelling all my items with a reference number to that sheet as well, just so I know what came from where, in case I have similar coins bought from different sources.

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.” – Mark Twain

1 minute ago, ram64 said:

Similar to Nick, I use a spreadsheet with as much detail as I am willing to type in. But I try to add at least the Purchase price, Seller, Spot price at the time and any other costs (postage, VAT, currency exchange rate etc). Premium is calculated based on all costs that were involved in a specific purchase. I plan on labelling all my items with a reference number to that sheet as well, just so I know what came from where, in case I have similar coins bought from different sources.

The reference number is a brilliant idea that I didn't think about before, I'm gonna do it from now, that's why I love this forum, here you keep learning everyday.

Same. I use the Numbers spreadsheet on my Mac which allows me to access on the go via iPad and iPhone. The ledger lists every oz of PM bought at what price (which includes all taxes, postal costs etc). Also has a formula to calculate the current value by entering the spot price which in turn calculates my average spend per oz. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

2 hours ago, Nick1368 said:

The reference number is a brilliant idea that I didn't think about before, I'm gonna do it from now, that's why I love this forum, here you keep learning everyday.

Totally agree nick. The depth of knowledge and helpfulness of this forum is awesome 👍

thanks for the replys guys, I don’t think Iam going to be a big time stacker but defo going to get a spreadsheet set up with some of the details you guys mentioned above. I better starting off right rather than trying to backtrack at a later date. 

XLS spreadsheet. Gold, Platinum & Palladium have all been good to me. Silver, I am in the red (hence it is my least preferred, specially because of the large footprint). :ph34r:

I use a spreadsheet

Tracks each metal, price paid, value against spot.

Also has a summary page with total value, profit and loss of each and all and how much of the stack is each metal by percentage

Pen and note book to record sale and how much I paid. Don't keep a tally of how much I have however. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Pretty much the same as everyone's else's, i track what I paid and details of where so I can locate the invoice. I also add in things like certificate number and ngc/pcgs numbers too. It's useful for insurance as you have a full list of items. I also label my containers so I can locate a coin easily if I'm selling one for instance.

Different tabs in the spreadsheet group items together so sovs have their own section, then it's proof gold , bullion gold, proof silver, bullion silver and then other. The bullion ones are pretty simple and list most things in bulk.

I also track their current location so if its out being graded or in the post etc.

Because all my receipts are electronic/scanned they are set as links to entries on the ledger. So if I click on a 5oz Scottsdale Prey bar bought on 12th March etc I immediately get the pdf pop-up. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

6 hours ago, Mcgrimes said:

I use a spreadsheet but only track weight of stack and total value using spot price. I assume, worst case, that I'll only get spot /scrap value.

I Don't track what I've paid, though I think I have all my receipts. 

Similar for me, just that I don't have a spread sheet. I keep all receipts and as the stack grows, I will make an inventory list soon.

I don't care where or when I bought it as I don't plan on selling anytime soon and the information is still in the receipts anyway. When the time comes for selling, inflation will have made a direct comparison between the price at the time of purchase and the time of selling, straight out of a spread sheet, impossible and also official inflation rates are not necessarily accurate. Thus, to get an accurate picture I would need to calculate the exact real inflation. I know there is a site called  shadow stats for the US Dollar but I never came across a £ or Euro version.

I roughly know what the value of my stack is but when I calculate a concrete figure, I assume it's less, so for example a 1 ounce silver coin is worth £10 in my head, so that the figure at the end is lower and I can't get a negative suprise in case I should be forced to sell in the near future. A bullion Sovereign I calculate in  with a  value of £200, a one ounce gold coin with £900 (not that I would have many yet)

It behooves us to keep notes/documents/list/information on our collection/stack/properties/assets. It will be a very important/useful information for those we leave them to, so they know what the true value of our legacy is (should they decide to/have to liquidate).

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 09:45, trozau said:

It behooves us to keep notes/documents/list/information on our collection/stack/properties/assets. It will be a very important/useful information for those we leave them to, so they know what the true value of our legacy is (should they decide to/have to liquidate).

On 07/04/2019 at 09:45, trozau said:

i completely agree !

I keep track of every buy and use my spreadsheet to help track dollar cost avg. I also track which bullion I am getting the best price at and what levels of each type I have. Below is a screenshot of my sheet. Just a great way to keep track of everything and keep you moving towards your goals. Without this I would be 100% lost when it comes time to sell.. 

SilverStack.JPG

I always used a spreadsheet but only kept tabs on date of purchase, weight, price paid and cost of postage, which gave me a cost average. However, more recently I've been keeping tabs on where I bought it from, and spot price at time of purchase too.

• 2 months later...

Like others, I keep pretty detailed records of what I own and associated cost.  I print that every few months and keep it with the stack in case of my untimely demise.

Equally as important in my view, I also have a letter with it that details to the lucky recipient what they now have.  And if they desire, instructions on how and where to liquidate.  Basically a playbook on how not to get ripped off.  

6 hours ago, AlL said:

hey @Guybrush the link didnt work http://hiddenpath.co.uk/ It would be interesting  to see how it works.

Haha sods law, I took this off line a couple of weeks ago simply because the only person using it was me.  It was just a web UI to keep track of prices (Premiums) and your stack with price paid and profit/loss per coin.  It would seem the consensus is to use a spread sheet though.

I took it down because I am not buying PMS at the min (Looking at building more whiskey bottles up ATM) so its not required to be running, honestly as I was the only one using it I dont know when or it I will put it live to the open internet again.

Archived