• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Mint Lunar 2 Monkey Fake?

RoughDog

I have my camera on charge now.  Try and post pics later, maybe tomorrow.  I would like to record the audio ping test so you can hear it for yourselves.  The maple has a ringing sound that sounds like "ting".  The lunar is high pitched clang.

I have mental health issues and took the hammer to the maple months ago (maybe 6 months) when I had a really awful day.

Strangely since then the maple is like a lucky coin to me, one of my favourite coins, one that I would never sell.

Nope.

Some facts about silver: - 

"Silver often plays second fiddle to another precious metal, gold, but this element has special properties that deserve a good look.

For example, of all the metals, pure silver is the best conductor of heat and electricity, according to the Jefferson National Linear Accelerator Laboratory. It's also the best reflector of visible light, which is why it is commonly used to make mirrors — though silver does tarnish and turn dark grey when exposed to air, requiring periodic polishing.

Pure silver is too soft for products like jewelry and tableware, so the family's finest forks and knives are most likely sterling silver, an alloy of 92.5 percent silver and 7.5 percent copper "

It's too soft for jewelry but I couldn't drill through the lunar with a Dewalt 18V hammer drill that has never failed me before.  This lunar is made out of some rock hard metal.

It would be ironic if your Maple is fake and all the Lunars are real....

Your statement that a DeWalt 18v hammer drill won't drill it is meaningless. Hammer drills won't drill through anything - the drill BIT is what counts, not the drill. 

To be honest OP it sounds like you are having a bad day. Maybe lay off the coins until you can test them with a recognised method that doesn't involve destroying them. I sincerely hope that your coins are silver. Good luck.

1 hour ago, RoughDog said:

I couldn't drill through the lunar with a Dewalt 18V hammer drill

have you tried putting a drill bit in the chuck?😉

sorry, couldn't resist. as you say, silver is pretty soft  and should be easy to drill through.

If this won't work, a magnet test should expose it quickly. The size will be wrong as well.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

My first piece of gold ever, a Jubilee Half Sovereign that I bought last summer, turned out to be fake. I had done gravity tests on all bullion Sovereigns I had bought till before Christmas. Just last week, I had a chance to have it X rayed at Baird & Co's when I bought Sovereigns there. It turned out to be 18K gold. My local dealer, who had no possibility to know for sure I gave him the coin back he had sold me, gave me a proof half Sovereign, 1996, as replacement. Before the X-raying, I was not sure if my gravity test was maybe not accurate enough for such small coins (it was my only bullion Half Sovereign, at the time). It turned out to be reliable. Back in December, I also tested a silver coin for trying out the testing method, a QB bullion coin. It was absolutely spot on what is should be. The point I'm trying to make - specific gravity tests do work. I doubt a dealer will take back coins based on the hammer test but it's more difficult to refuse to do so based on a gravity test.

10 hours ago, RoughDog said:

It's too soft for jewelry but I couldn't drill through the lunar with a Dewalt 18V hammer drill that has never failed me before.  This lunar is made out of some rock hard metal.

As noted already, drill bits do the drilling and suitable drill bit with a steady hand (and hammer off!) should go through steel well enough.  I doubt any exotic metals would end up in a fake.  Magnet test, measure of weight and diameter and thickness would give 99% confidence to me, i dont read any of these being done. 

11 hours ago, TeaTime said:

It would be ironic if your Maple is fake and all the Lunars are real....

Your statement that a DeWalt 18v hammer drill won't drill it is meaningless. Hammer drills won't drill through anything - the drill BIT is what counts, not the drill. 

To be honest OP it sounds like you are having a bad day. Maybe lay off the coins until you can test them with a recognised method that doesn't involve destroying them. I sincerely hope that your coins are silver. Good luck.

Almost new Dewalt metal drill bits.

I watched many ping test videos and the lunar does not sound right.  Just dropping the thing on a wooden desk hurts my ears, such a high pitched clang.  It's what Donnie Brasco calls a "fugazi".

Have you got a vice you can clamp half of it in and then hit the other half with a hammer to see if will bend or shatter? 

Also, have you checked your drill bits to make sure they're not blunt?

16 hours ago, Wackattak924 said:

I really hope it's not silver now that you gone to it with the most destructive testing you possibly could lol. 

Have you tried a neodymium magnet? 

As everyone else has said sg test?

But if smashing it with a hammer and drilling the s#*t out of it is your style then so be it. Would love to see some photos of the destruction 

I do however agree with some above about having the coin confirmed as a fake before naming the dealer. 

Yup evidence is the best way, video opening of parcel, photographs, invoices etc, something dont ring true about all of this.

Archived