• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Chards Sale Now On!

Please don't take my comments as "mindless moaning", and I do so very much admire your marketing initiatives and the efforts Chards put in to "getting the word out" about the various promotions that you run - but since you ask...…

As with your previous sale/promotion, there is once again nothing listed in the Spring Sale that has me reaching for my wallet; whilst I have to say that you have a very good selection of coins on offer (several of which I would love to own!), the prices you are asking are not exactly what one might call "exciting", are they?

Take a look at the amount of interest generated and the volumes of business done by both Harrington & Byrne and The Buckingham Collection when these two companies recently offered the 2019 uncirculated Sovereign for sale at prices that were just too good to ignore - the Silver Forum was buzzing with members reporting how many they had purchased, etc.

Take a long, hard look at your prices and then you will make sales :)

3 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

imo the 'reduced to 4%' on the 1972 set is a bit misleading.

at the current spot won't melt on 1.5 toz gold + 2 toz silver

equate to ~£1500? (this is more than 4% away from the

£1850+ price?)

HH 

£1,543.44

(Exc. VAT)

4 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Fastnick  what might not be right for you may be right for some.

There are some nice coins in the sale.

Absolutely agree @HelpingHands - there are some cracking coins that I would also be keen to acquire!

My comments refer to the "sale" prices, rather than at the coins themselves; personally, I would have expected/hoped for much more keenly priced coins in such a much-publicised sale.

Not sure if it was your spring sale last year but I HAD to buy the Mexico libertad and proof Australia sovereign should have bought the IOM sov too, but this sale I’ve skimmed over and nothing jumps out at all.  I think you’re a great company but need something in the sale to get me reaching for my wallet

6 hours ago, Fastnick said:

Please don't take my comments as "mindless moaning", and I do so very much admire your marketing initiatives and the efforts Chards put in to "getting the word out" about the various promotions that you run - but since you ask...…

As with your previous sale/promotion, there is once again nothing listed in the Spring Sale that has me reaching for my wallet; whilst I have to say that you have a very good selection of coins on offer (several of which I would love to own!), the prices you are asking are not exactly what one might call "exciting", are they?

Take a look at the amount of interest generated and the volumes of business done by both Harrington & Byrne and The Buckingham Collection when these two companies recently offered the 2019 uncirculated Sovereign for sale at prices that were just too good to ignore - the Silver Forum was buzzing with members reporting how many they had purchased, etc.

Take a long, hard look at your prices and then you will make sales :)

you are absolutely right, for example their pre 2013 Britannia 1oz coins that they are selling for £1024, I bought them from sharps Pixley for the same price and they didn't even have a sale going on, it was just their normal price, don't forget chards are base in Blackpool whereas sharps Pixley are located in the heart of London and paying heavy rent and rates yet their prices are way cheaper than chards.

Morning,

Yes our sale items are a pick and mix of products that we accumulate so they will change and at times will suit some people more than others, that said plenty of items are going out so it must just be our pick this time not suiting your fancy @Fastnick. Out of curiosity what is it your interested in and when I am going through stock I will try and make a note for future promotions. 

Regarding H&B and Buckingham Collection and their promotions one has to be careful as they can be misleading. The initial advert is often a good deal as was the case for the recent sovereign but it is likely this was a loss leader to get you on their mailing lists with new GDPR requirements. H&B are very much a fan of up selling products after registering an interest to flog them more expensive over priced coins like the proof sovereign - we already know this is their ploy but it was also reported here on the forum.  We refrain from this type of marketing  and aim to sell coins in an honest way, so if the deal seems too good to be true do ask yourself why first.....

@Nick1368Just went to check the price at Sharespixley as we do like to be very competitive on Britannia's, and I can only find this product for "pre-2013 Brits" selling from £1019 - https://www.sharpspixley.com/pre-owned-1oz-gold-britannia-mixed-dates. If you have a link please pass it over.

Our comparative products are our newly minted Brit (last 5 years) are from £1016 and secondary market brits from £1005.... links at the bottom. Dated coins will attract a higher premium than a pick and mix if this answers your question.......

Thanks, Ian 

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-britannia-coin/1oz-gold-britannia/bullion/1047

https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-britannia-1-ounce-coin/britannia-bullion-coin-pre-owned/2759

2 hours ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Out of curiosity what is it your interested in and when I am going through stock I will try and make a note for future promotions. 

Many thanks for coming back on the points raised/comments, Ian - PM sent ;)

3 hours ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Regarding H&B and Buckingham Collection and their promotions one has to be careful as they can be misleading. The initial advert is often a good deal as was the case for the recent sovereign but it is likely this was a loss leader to get you on their mailing lists with new GDPR requirements. H&B are very much a fan of up selling products after registering an interest to flog them more expensive over priced coins like the proof sovereign - we already know this is their ploy but it was also reported here on the forum.  We refrain from this type of marketing  and aim to sell coins in an honest way, so if the deal seems too good to be true do ask yourself why first.....

We refrain from this type of marketing  and aim to sell coins in an honest way, so if the deal seems too good to be true do ask yourself why first.....

Must of written this comment a few times now but kept deleting  because  reading back it seemed harsh but I have to be honest, what you say in those above quotes has triggered me.

You refrain from that ( Type ) = aggressive?

Some might find dealers signing up to a PM forum to advertise just as aggressive, not to mention bad mouthing other companies and attempting to shame their marketing tactics because their own prices during a sale are getting called out.

As H&B are willing to take a loss to gain possible new customers they are selling coins in a dishonest way? Some of your "sale" items are cheaper other places without a "sale",  does this mean you are also selling coins in a dishonest way?

H&B were selling sovereigns at a great price, so long as it did not involve conning you out of more money with hidden fees or anything shady I think it is totally unreasonable to defend your own short comings when it comes to prices by attempting to bad mouth another company.

As for the mailing list argument and up selling, you can remove yourself from a mailing list and ultimately you never have to buy from then again unless you want to.

I honestly do not mean to cause offence here  but it really has triggered me. I hope the sale goes well for you and I genuinely am grateful for you posting sales in the forum its a great way to find possible deals.

Appreciate your comments, it is not a reaction at all to any discussion here and its not an attempt to bad mouth anyone as I have pointed out the original sovereign ad was in fact a good deal. Aggressive marketing is just not our thing but each to their own .... respectively we don't use pushy tactics and price competitively on many products where we can.

Ian 

43 minutes ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Appreciate your comments, it is not a reaction at all to any discussion here and its not an attempt to bad mouth anyone as I have pointed out the original sovereign ad was in fact a good deal. Aggressive marketing is just not our thing but each to their own .... respectively we don't use pushy tactics and price competitively on many products where we can.

Ian 

It absolutely was a reaction to the to the post by @Fastnick when he mentioned other sales by other companies. 

This is 100% bad mouthing another company for their marketing tactics and over priced products as stated by you in that quote, "Loss leader", "get you on their mailing list after GDPR", "Fan of up selling", "flog them more expensive over priced coins", "their ploy", "we refrain from this type of marketing and aim to sell in an (honest) way" and finally (paraphrasing)their deal is so good you must be getting had in some way.

respectively we don't use pushy tactics and price competitively on many products where we can

So you dont sign up to forums and post your sales on them, you dont use your own mailing list and you never sell over priced coins?

Sorry but I just do not agree, you should of just gone with:

We post the best prices we can to keep our business going, sometimes we come in cheaper than others, other times we are a little higher but overall we try our best to price competitive.

What you did was try to justify your prices by bad mouthing those mentioned giving better sales.

1 minute ago, ChardsCoinandBullionDealer said:

Ok apologies my comments took the conversation this way it wasn't intended at the outset. The points made have been taken on board for the future. 

Ian 

I apologise too,  totally come across as a **** in my posts but as I say it just triggered me and I could not let it go. Once again though, I really am grateful you post deals and sales here when you have them.

Now how many thousands do I need to spend to make it up to you? seriously though thank you again and best of luck with the sale some really nice coins there.

It's not easy to apologise when one has maybe sometimes gone a little bit further than might have been originally intended when pursuing an argument or a point of view.....

But to do so online, in full view of everyone else on the Internet, takes a not insubstantial amount of "testicular capacity"

Well done to all.

41 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

Tough crowd.

I think this short statement concludes this thread succinctly and with economy. For this reason I was hesitant to reply, but here's my two- penneth. 

The Thread started by promoting the Sale and asking the question 'tell us what you think'- I guess Chards have been told!

Surely, it's very convenient to be spoon fed offers on Gold and Silver.  It takes up a little bit more energy than swatting a Gnat to click on the provided link and scroll through two pages of items that are offered in this sale.  There was no big promise of massive reductions if you travelled to their shop in Blackpool to get a 'never to be missed' opportunity to buy some cheap Gold and Silver- that would have cost time and effort and left people out of pocket-I could understand criticism in that scenario.  

For me- there are a couple of coins of interest- the 2016 Sovereign was a very low mintage and I'm surprised they discounted this coin and those 1973 Isle of Man coins Half, 2 Pound and 5 Pound appear to be very good value- and interesting as they would fill a gap for someone collecting Sovereigns from that era as there weren't any produced by the RM that year as is pointed out by Chards.  The 1oz Britannia coins are priced ok as well- for specific year dates- but non of these coins are at the top of my collecting list- but here's hoping that I will be in a fortunate position to 'require' these coins in the years to come. 

I digress and here's my point-  If a dealer or private individual prices something up- wherever that might be- here on the Forum, eBay, in their shop or from their own website and no-one thinks it's a good deal, then the item simply won't sell.  Surely it should be left at that.  Chards must appeal to a demographic somewhere- they have been trading for almost 6 decades. 

I don't see any complaints from Forum members from last years Autumn Sale when Chards essentially- and this is my opinion- 'gave away'- some beautiful Proof Australian Sovereigns for around £230 each including postage and from memory- they had some very competitively priced French Roosters.  Also, I think Chards offer a year round good buy back price on Sovereigns- never sold to them- but the buy price they advertise looks remarkably good.

The best thing about Chards for me though, is the detailed information they provide about coins- particularly Sovereigns- using this free resource has saved my bacon a few times in terms of mintage figures, background information and advice- here's an example, this about Red Spot- http://taxfreegold.co.uk/redspotsongoldcoins.html and this about coin sets- https://taxfreegold.co.uk/goldsetsinfo.html but have a dig around on their 'old site' it really is a great free resource.  

I have no alegiance to Chards- I have only bought from them once- when they 'gave' me a couple of their Australian Sovereigns last year, and I do like to use their website to check out all sorts of info surrounding Sovereigns and other coins.     

13 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

The best thing about Chards for me though, is the detailed information they provide about coins- particularly Sovereigns- using this free resource has saved my bacon a few times in terms of mintage figures, background information and advice- here's an example, this about Red Spot- http://taxfreegold.co.uk/redspotsongoldcoins.html and this about coin sets- https://taxfreegold.co.uk/goldsetsinfo.html but have a dig around on their 'old site' it really is a great free resource.  

Could not agree more

I’m glad to see @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer here nice to think that a company are interested in our forum.  I’m with @richatthecroft about their mintages sight but prefer the old one to the new one for sovereigns.     But to be fair Ian from chards came on and asked for opinions so that’s what has been given.   Hope you stick around with some more posts, used to enjoy when Lizzie posted too

1 hour ago, richatthecroft said:

The best thing about Chards for me though, is the detailed information they provide about coins- particularly Sovereigns- using this free resource has saved my bacon a few times in terms of mintage figures, background information and advice-

but have a dig around on their 'old site' it really is a great free resource.

I have gained a load of knowledge from reading the various old Chards websites over the years and have been very grateful that they (? Lawrence) have taken the time and effort to produce such valuable resources. I guess along with the old Marsh books, goldsovereigns.co.uk was my go to resource for sovereign info.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I've never bought from Chards. I tried to once via a local friend in that I would make payment and my friend would collect and post down to me with some other stuff, thus saving me postage and making it cheaper than elsewhere, but for some reason they wouldn't allow it (it wasn't a big purchase) which I found baffling, but all businesses seem to have baffling policies and rules these days. I don't hold it against Chards - I just went somewhere else for that purchase. In fact in this case I can see why Chards might have a blanket policy against someone paying and then someone else collecting (although as any/all authorisation was offered it should have been allowed imvho) - it makes it a tight ship. My own purchase might have been small but where do you draw the line?

Anyway!

@Fastnick brought up Harrington & Byrne, so I think it was absolutely fair for Ian to reply, and in my limited experience he was spot on. I bought 3 bullion Sovs from them and the chap phoned me up to tell me I was basically stupid to buy bullion and that I was missing thousands of pounds of profits from not buying their proofs each time (at 30% plus of recent Mint issue prices - £1500 for a Gruffalo, almost double). He kept me on the phone for an hour with his nonsense (OK I could have ended at any time but I was interested to see the 'tactics').

Since then, and despite opting out of all marketing when I made my internet order, Harrington & Byrne have been bombarding me with daily letters and emails offering me coins I don't want at astronomical prices. A loss leader indeed.

I feel (from friends) with Chards what you see is probably what you get. I might be wrong as I haven't had anything from them. Harrington & Byrne though are extremely aggressive in their upselling, it's becoming a pain here to get their daily post spam every day, and if someone brings up their prices on just one coin (which is undoubtedly a loss leader indeed) in reply to Chards I think it's only right that Chards comment.

Someone thinks that making a topic advertising a price drop on certain coins on here is as aggressive as spamming someone's physical postbox and email account daily with 'fake' claims about coins and potential? They are already selling them to you at (up to) almost twice the issue price, and will tell you on the phone you will make a profit on them? So anyone want to buy my Peter Rabbit 2019 for the £1500 they reckon it's worth and are trying to sell me another one of? Thought not! 🤣

With you there @kimchi and also agree with Chards, they (H&B) do have pretty aggressive marketing however I was expecting the onslaught! I get a few letters a week even though like yourself I opted out (I’ve tried opting in now see what I get!). I just use them to start the log burner! When I can be bothered I’ll send back one of their prepaid envelopes but you never know they might actually send an offer in advance again like the £229 sovs. They’re basically wasting more money on top of the loss leader sending me this rubbish

Archived