• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

best for handling-light hearted topic

Stu66

Hi all, just a light hearted question, I have just started stacking with just half a dozen coins so far. I don't touch the silver and its all in capsules but I have a hankering  ( is that a word ) to jangle some about in my hands. So what's the best to jangle/rattle from hand to hand?... I fancy maybe some silver dollars or half dollars but never handled any ... half a dozen or so would seem about right.... more weight or less is best ?... now getting too technical. : ). ..  Any suggestions and comical replies welcome .

Cheers and good rattling

Get a few Eagles or Mexican Libertads for about £15 each and fondle them at your leisure.
American Eagles & Libertads seem to be more resistant to handling than many other coins that mark if you dare to breathe on them.
They have a satin finish that doesn't show fine lines compared to highly polished coins.

I have quite a few coins in capsules that I have never touched as I know that I am the first to own them.

But I have a couple of second hand full tubes, random year (all 2015, that is just what they're called on the site) philharmonics from Europeanmint.com and a tube of britannias that I got from this forum.

Both I got for an OK price and in both tubes most have milk spots, some severe some not that bad. But I handle them a lot, flick them up in the air, stack them in different piles and just jingle them around in my hand, I love it ☺️

One of the philharmonics even fell onto my tiled floor in the kitchen and has a small dent around the edge. 

I don't mind any damage like that though as the price I got them all for was good and can see the spot price most likely go up eventually to the price I got them for (1 year? 10 year? 20 year?) 

Also when I got my first tube it was another type of feeling. The first lot of coins I got were mostly all different, kookaburras, Perth mint rectangle dragons, pandas. Just got what I thought looked nice. But when I got my first tube of philharmonics, I dunno how to explain but there was 20 coins and they were all the same and just seeing the same design throughout, I imagined back to the days when silver was actually currency, dropping them in my hand and hearing them all jingle together. 

Haven't even been stacking for a year but this is just how I feel and I recommend you save up and get a second hand tube from the forum when one comes up, have 5-6 coins you keep on the top and have them to play with. 

You won't regret it 😉

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Get a few Eagles or Mexican Libertads for about £15 each and fondle them at your leisure.
American Eagles & Libertads seem to be more resistant to handling than many other coins that mark if you dare to breathe on them.
They have a satin finish that doesn't show fine lines compared to highly polished coins.

That's interesting about the silver eagles, will have to be my next tube 😊 see if the floor will dent them when I don't catch one flicking them in the air 🤣

14 hours ago, 999magnum said:

It doesn't matter. It's just bullion.

Added 0 minutes later...

right?

It may just be bullion but I’d want a coin to be in nice nick.

Archived