• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What to buy. ?

Pip

Dont know what to buy to pass on to family.

I need advice or suggestions on what to buy.

40 ounces of silver bulion.

or

2.5 ounces of gold bullion

or

A proof 4 coin gold sovereign set.

or anything else in precious metal.

11 minutes ago, Pip said:

Dont know what to buy to pass on to family.

I need advice or suggestions on what to buy.

40 ounces of silver bulion.

or

2.5 ounces of gol bullion

or

A proof 4 coin gold sovereign set.

or anything else in precious metal.

for the price your considering paying for the gold would get you around 170oz of silver bullion at current price, do you want a pile of 170oz, id buy gold if you are looking to invest all at once, and as HawkHybrid has said, fractional gold, sovereigns being the lower premium and probably the easiest to sell when needed.

With bullion you can get more bang for your buck then the proof set in the sense that you would be able to acquire more weight for the same amount of £. In regards to the gold or silver aspect if possible go for both 😎.

passing onto the family suggests its for the long term and im sure most of us on the forum are bullish for both Ag & Au in the long run. 

I'd say to get a mix of gold,silver and platinum at curent ratios that way your set to benefit from the swings of value in the future as are your kids...so I'd say to go for 1 oz gold, 1 1/2oz platinum and the rest in silver then try to keep to ratios as you add to it.

I would go for gold - fewer coins, more easily distributed amongst family who may not know the price of silver bullion but can easy through general knowledge understand the price of gold. Get sovereigns or fractionals. If you are intent on buying to leave to family, to save future arguments, I would buy exactly the same coins for each person including the year.

That's my tuppence worth.

Since you want to pass them to the familiy some day, and the risk is high that they don't apreciate them and gonna sell them I would suggest to buy PM without VAT , with low premium and high acceptance. So either standard bullions or bullion sovereigns...because collectors value would probably don't get realised when selling....

I would buy 10 bullion sovereigns, that's close to 2.5oz, unless the number of heirs would make it difficult to split them. So it would need to be one, two, five or ten of them, any other number might cause disputes about the split. One might want to keep it, another one might want to sell it. Half sovereigns might be an option as well, e.g. if it's 3 heirs, 21 one half sovereigns would be easy to split. Or 20 between 4 of them. I would also buy all of the same year (and condition) otherwise it might cause - again - a dispute.

"I want this lovely Jubilee Victoria"

"No, you take the old Lizzi"

3 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

I would buy 10 bullion sovereigns, that's close to 2.5oz, unless the number of heirs would make it difficult to split them. So it would need to be one, two, five or ten of them, any other number might cause disputes about the split. One might want to keep it, another one might want to sell it. Half sovereigns might be an option as well, e.g. if it's 3 heirs, 21 one half sovereigns would be easy to split. Or 20 between 4 of them. I would also buy all of the same year (and condition) otherwise it might cause - again - a dispute.

"I want this lovely Jubilee Victoria"

"No, you take the old Lizzi"

If it's a lizzie 1 I'll take it.

Archived