• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Vehicle Safes

Hi everyone I hope you don't mind this noob asking what my be daft question !

I am looking for some advice on what Car Safe to get to place in my vehicle when transporting coins and bars . 

couple of questions 

Firstly  - do you use a safe in your vehicles  ?

Secondly - what car safe do you recommend to get and place in my car ?

Thanks in advance

Jaggy

(Craig) 

Can't help sorry as I don't leave silver/gold sitting in my car, and I doubt many do. If I have so much gold or silver in my car that it might need a safe it means I am taking it to a specific place for a specific purpose and would not leave it in the car.

I imagine a locked boot, with the items hidden under the removable boot base would hide it well from the vast majority of opportunistic thieves.

Dont take this the wrong way but why would anyone tell you where, if at all, they would put a safe in a car ? You could be a car thief for all anyone knows. I am sure you are not but it is a very strange question. Welcome to SF by the way

7 hours ago, JaggyThistle said:

I am looking for some advice on what Car Safe to get to place in my vehicle when transporting coins and bars . 

couple of questions 

Thanks in advance

Jaggy

(Craig) 

Truthfully I wouldn't waste your time with this...I would suspect most coins/bars will be delivered to your normal address, I would spend your cash on a safe for your house.

Suspect if you got pulled by cops they would be very interested in why you had one!

Welcome btw - I work in the land of the weegie during week but live down in South Ayrshire.

My dad used to be an accountant for a manufacturing jeweler.

The cars were all reinforced before even considering a safe.

By all accounts is caused no end of fun and games when a sales rep locked his keys in the boot.

For normal domestic quantities it's not worth it, your car will be worth more than the contents.

So I would be more inclined to have a vehicle safe for my guns, not my PMs.

I haven’t gone down the vehicle safe path yet for my guns, since it is illegal to take firearms onto certain compounds and running the risk of accidentally having any in the vehicle.

The US market has a plethora of options...just google vehicle gun safes. 

12 hours ago, JaggyThistle said:

couple of questions 

Thanks in advance

Jaggy

(Craig) 

I'm curious exactly who or what the safe is going to protect the coins against?

Are you worried about being hijacked and robbed while you are driving?

Do you want to leave the coins in the car while you go for a coffee or an overnight stop?

The first is extremely unlikely unless you are transporting a very large value stack and someone knows about it.

As regards the second; don't leave the coins in the car. If you are then worried about being robbed at the service station; again, very unlikely but possible I suppose.

The chances of having the car stolen are much, much higher than a personal assault, so a car safe in an unoccupied car is pretty much a waste of time.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, Oldun said:

Dont take this the wrong way but why would anyone tell you where, if at all, they would put a safe in a car ? You could be a car thief for all anyone knows. I am sure you are not but it is a very strange question. Welcome to SF by the way

@OldunThanks for the welcome. It's not a strange question in my head in the house you /I have a safe I didn't ask where the safe was. If I'm. Traveling with coins, bullion I want it just as safe. Again I didn't ask nor want to know where you place it I am just simply looking for a recommendation on what safe to get for myself

10 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I'm curious exactly who or what the safe is going to protect the coins against?

Are you worried about being hijacked and robbed while you are driving?

Do you want to leave the coins in the car while you go for a coffee or an overnight stop?

The first is extremely unlikely unless you are transporting a very large value stack and someone knows about it.

As regards the second; don't leave the coins in the car. If you are then worried about being robbed at the service station; again, very unlikely but possible I suppose.

The chances of having the car stolen are much, much higher than a personal assault, so a car safe in an unoccupied car is pretty much a waste of time.

Hi thanks for the reply @sovereignsteve firstly I'm. No that daft to leave anything valuable in in my car... As for bring hijacked that is a possibility but not concerns me as 12 years in the Royal Marine commandos did teach me a few thing on how to deal with that

To stimulate your curiosity here's a question. Have you ever been in a car accident caused by another driver and had to be cut out the car by the emergency services?  A number of years ago it happened to me, not nice, and to anyone I hope it never happens to you... So having valuable coins in a safe when traveling in a vehicle would be something I would want. Thanks again for your reply 

10 hours ago, TheBeast said:

Maybe you could fix this system in your car. This is how they smuggle drugs here from The Netherlands to Belgium and Germany.

Just get a diplomatic passport and you can take anything in or out of more or less any country without any checks whatsoever.

45 minutes ago, JaggyThistle said:

To stimulate your curiosity here's a question. Have you ever been in a car accident caused by another driver and had to be cut out the car by the emergency services?  A number of years ago it happened to me, not nice, and to anyone I hope it never happens to you... So having valuable coins in a safe when traveling in a vehicle would be something I would want. Thanks again for your reply 

I understand. I did consider that but didn't want to mention such a possibiilty😊

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, JaggyThistle said:

Hi thanks for the reply @sovereignsteve firstly I'm. No that daft to leave anything valuable in in my car... As for bring hijacked that is a possibility but not concerns me as 12 years in the Royal Marine commandos did teach me a few thing on how to deal with that

How often are you planning to transport coins in your car?

What are the odds of 1) having an accident that you need cutting out from.  Ok, you have been unfortunate enough to and I’m sorry to hear that, so 2) of being in a second acccident that you need cutting out from. And 3) carrying any coins whilst being in an accident that you need cutting out from.

The chances of number 3 happening have got to be so remote it just doesn’t seem worth the effort and expense “just in case”.

However if you want to go full belt and braces, there are lots of portable and vehicle safes to choose from.  Here are some examples - https://www.safe.co.uk/Categories/vehicle-safes/1.html

10 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Ho

What are the odds of 1) having an accident that you need cutting out from.  Ok, you have been unfortunate enough to and I’m sorry to hear that, so 2) of being in a second acccident that you need cutting out from. And 3) carrying any coins whilst being in an accident that you need cutting out from.

The chances of number 3 happening have got to be so remote it just doesn’t seem worth the effort and expense “just in case”.

However if you want to go full belt and braces, there are lots of portable and vehicle safes to choose from.  Here are some examples - https://www.safe.co.uk/Categories/vehicle-safes/1.html

Hi and many thanks for the link. I will check it out

Of course the chance are rare but you have vehicle insurance to cover the possibilities of being in an accident but here's the thing I am not 100% sure if my insurance would cover the coin and bars dependent on the value if an accident happened especially if not secured properly I don't know about you but I would want all my bases covered and more hay but that's just me but thanks again for the link 

I might start from a different perspective- that is identify a vehicle safe to travel in/crash!, low street appeal without keyless entry and with a good imobiliser/ alarm maybe a high quality disc lock with plenty of odd spaces where you could hide PM or indeed safe.

I'd rather transport stuff in a big old tank of a Volvo than a flash BMW/Audi and find somewhere to bolt into the bodywork a good quality discrete steel padlocked box - maybe with an intumescent spray covering.    Not a recomendation just a thought

I had £15k of photographic gear secured in a tool safe in the boot of my car, it didn’t survive a back end shunt from a lorry. Bullion would survive better than very expensive glass.

Driving with a radioactive isotope in the car boot would have raised a few questions with the police.

10 hours ago, UKStacker said:

For normal domestic quantities it's not worth it, your car will be worth more than the contents.

What i was thinking.

4 hours ago, JaggyThistle said:

I think the safest place might be in your pocket :ph34r: 

But other than that, seems some sort of secure tool box is best option.  Or a easy access, concealed compartment in a panel, speakers for example, probably only good for small volumes though.  Trouble is cars aren't particularly tough and a "safe" could be easily removed, so i'd reckon you are looking for concealment. 

Yes I can keep them in. My pocket or stash them. In glove compartment or so other hidden place but and it's a big but... If something happens and you or the car gets smashed up would my coins be insured if they were not in a safe ? Again I presume that will depend on value of coins and type of safe... So to cover all my bases I would like to purchase a safe to place in my vehicle that would allow valuable items to continue to be insured while traveling in my car 

16 hours ago, JaggyThistle said:

Yes I can keep them in. My pocket or stash them. In glove compartment or so other hidden place but and it's a big but... If something happens and you or the car gets smashed up would my coins be insured if they were not in a safe ? Again I presume that will depend on value of coins and type of safe... So to cover all my bases I would like to purchase a safe to place in my vehicle that would allow valuable items to continue to be insured while traveling in my car 

Are we talking about the 2019 Simpson coins here?

Archived