• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

I was recently told that Irish whiskey won't be able to keep up with demand in the next few years and it could be an opportunity to invest into it. I've had a look at a couple of sites on the internet and one has a minimum requirement of £5000 to be put down & offering average returns of 10-15% p/a.. Would this be a safe way to invest or is it a new way for scammers to fleece people? I don't know of anyone who has any knowledge of this type of investment.

The site below looks legit, however there maybe more than a couple of other websites out there that are probably too good to be true.

https://whiskeywealthclub.com/

I’ve looked briefly into similar £5k minimum whisky investments. It’s something im interested in too but I also have reservations about it being too good to be true. I asked one company to send more info but wasn’t impressed with the minimal info they sent

'Yet with Irish Whiskey, a €2,550
investment today in a single cask of
whiskey can (based on recent sales
from 2017), in just 24 years, command
a staggering €163,636.'

The above being one quote from the downloaded pdf. Along with this and the above image it says everything about the site. One to avoid!

Cheers @DaveWheat89 for the image search.

This happened to come up in The Times at the weekend. We're clearly in the wrong biz as whisky was the best performer over the last 10 years.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/raise-a-glass-to-whisky-the-smartest-place-for-your-money-x6wdkvbtx

That said, much of that demand was driven by new customers in China -- with a drop in their fortunes, will we also see a drop in demand?

As ever, past performance is no guarantee of future earnings.

Obviously you need to do your own research but if you have space to store you can invest in whiskey by the bottle.  I myself purchased the glenmorangie 25 year when I found out it was being discontinued some years ago and purchased a couple of glenmorangie midwinter dram to put away and several others.  I also purchased hibiki 12 and 17 but I ended up opening them and drinking :D

You can invest in whiskey without such a large outlay.  With all that said I am a whiskey drinker so the worst that can happen is I drink the whiskey so for me its a risk free investment.

Wine searcher is a good place to check whiskey prices by the bottle.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/glen+morangie+the+quarter+century+25+old+single+malt+scotch+whisky+highlands+scotland#t3

Edited by Guybrush

I don't drink, but still keep a small amount of the hard stuff in storage.  It doesn't really lose any value over time, so is a reasonable store of value.  I think if I was into that kind of thing I might look at it more seriously as an investment.  I would think that if I did that I would be reluctant to invest in paper, however, and more interested in investing in the actual commodity i.e. bottles of the stuff held in storage.  In a weird way stuff like that is almost like a collectable, because people have it in their mind that if its older it must be worth more, and there's probably something to pulling out a bottle you purchase 50 years ago and giving it to someone like it was a treasure, if for no other reason than its in an old bottle, even though once its in the bottle my understanding is that it doesn't "age" anymore.  I would never get into wines, etc, since they can go bad.  All that said, it's really something I'm just not that interested in ... to me it would be like storing away a closet full of running shoes in the off chance that 50 years down the line people might feel nostalgic for them.

It seems like this paper "opportunity" is a way for the manufacturers to recoup money on their warehousing expenses.

Edited by Lowlow

It's correct that once bottled it does not change.  That's why a whiskey bottled at 25 yo is still a 25yo whiskey in 100 years time.  For me my end game is always to sell or trade for more whiskey any spare bottles and drink one but I havent been strict with that :P

Collectables is more interesting to me because I've been collecting retro games since 2003.  Same thing really if price paid / hours played < the cost of a pint I can never loose :D

On a related note I've had massive success in flipping the many limited release games that have been coming out.

Edited by Guybrush