• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Recommended Posts

Two articles at the bottom of that webpage from the Guardian also 

"People don't carry cash nowadays and are adapting to a cashless world" 19th Feb 2019

"Eight in ten Britons rely on cash for everday payments" 7th March 2019

 

They can't both be right and appear to be at odds with each other - so whats the actual truth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

Two articles at the bottom of that webpage from the Guardian also 

"People don't carry cash nowadays and are adapting to a cashless world" 19th Feb 2019

"Eight in ten Britons rely on cash for everday payments" 7th March 2019

 

They can't both be right and appear to be at odds with each other - so whats the actual truth?

The second title is misleading. The article talks about paying window cleaners and peeps like that. Just poor click bait journalism as per usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are trying to make it so difficult that people will be queuing up - nay begging - for their microchips so they can even buy food.

It doesn't even have to get that stage - I have friend who spent a couple of years and a lot of money turning his home totally 'smart'. I asked him what would happen if there was a power outage or his phone network went down (or he lost his phone). His eyes glazed over and he couldn't answer - this is a civil servant who is quite high up in 'looking after' our road network, allocating millions each year (of our tax) to private companies.

Sod the old folk - what do they contribute (their lifetime tax contributions have already been spent)? Who cares if they can't work out how to pay the bills and whatnot once the cashless society is in full flow (and we are not far away now). Not many, the breakdown of communities has been full steam ahead now for many decades (thanks Thatcher for starting it, and Blair for finishing it off).

I will bet everything I own that not a single story about a pensioner dying due to cold or lack of cooking ability or food ever reaches the lying, controlled mainstream media.

Edited by kimchi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, kimchi said:

They are trying to make it so difficult that people will be queuing up - nay begging - for their microchips so they can even buy food.

It doesn't even have to get that stage - I have friend who spent a couple of years and a lot of money turning his home totally 'smart'. I asked him what would happen if there was a power outage or his phone network went down (or he lost his phone). His eyes glazed over and he couldn't answer - this is a civil servant who is quite high up in 'looking after' our road network, allocating millions each year (of our tax) to private companies.

Sod the old folk - what do they contribute (their lifetime tax contributions have already been spent)? Who cares if they can't work out how to pay the bills and whatnot once the cashless society is in full flow (and we are not far away now). Not many, the breakdown of communities has been in full flow now for many decades (thanks Thatcher, and Blair for finishing it off).

I will bet everything I own that not a single story about a pensioner dying due to cold or lack of cooking ability or food ever reaches the lying, controlled mainstream media.

That bet is too easy. try again and be better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was fortunate to be treated by a good friend to a visit to the Royal Mint the other week, and chatting to a few of the staff who took us around the Mint who explained that with the decline of cash usage in society they are having to change their traditional business model and diversify.

This diversification includes producing coinage for other countries and going down a few other business avenues, but perhaps most interesting for me was the comment that the Royal Mint see one of the easiest and most attractive opportunities to increase revenue is to "grow demand" for special edition coins and then to produce more coins that will appeal to coin collectors and numismatists.

Expect to see significantly more sets, special releases, and limited editions coming out of the gates at Llantrisant ;)

Edited by Fastnick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a group of individuals we need to push cash back into society by using notes and coins more often. Food Shopping, purchases in-store etc. 

Ideally use cash whenever and wherever you can. I'm finding more and more independent businesses are shying away from cash aswell which is a real shame.

Grab on to them wods of cash & Cling on to them coins for life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scuzzle said:

Two articles at the bottom of that webpage from the Guardian also 

"People don't carry cash nowadays and are adapting to a cashless world" 19th Feb 2019

"Eight in ten Britons rely on cash for everday payments" 7th March 2019

 

They can't both be right and appear to be at odds with each other - so whats the actual truth?

Newspapers attempt to tell you what to think not how to think, don't trust them. Personally, I don't know anyone who has completely given up using cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

As a group of individuals we need to push cash back into society by using notes and coins more often. Food Shopping, purchases in-store etc. 

Ideally use cash whenever and wherever you can. I'm finding more and more independent businesses are shying away from cash aswell which is a real shame.

Grab on to them wods of cash & Cling on to them coins for life.

Great point. I do this anyway but work is extensively in cash. Ironically about the only thing I use my plastic for is to buy bullion online.This is wishful thinking but I would love to see people reject credit altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AgCoyote said:

Great point. I do this anyway but work is extensively in cash. Ironically about the only thing I use my plastic for is to buy bullion online.This is wishful thinking but I would love to see people reject credit altogether.

I’m the complete opposite.  Carry a few notes round with me just in case or for a rare night out but other than that I barely use cash.  Suits me and happy that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sixgun said:

i have said before, the drugs business is a cash business. The biggest criminals are the governments and banks. Sanctions are busted by the criminal banks using cash. i can't buy my bags of gears from my dealer with a card.

No you actually can now or so im told, my brother was telling me the other week giy he knows who sells weed takes bank transfers now 😂 not sure if he has a card machine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

I use my Nectar points linked Amex card as often as possible but pay it off straight away.  I’ve already had a few free sovereigns from the Nectar points.  You don’t get that from using cash!

Free sovereigns, eh?

You can't argue with that, can you! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrGeorge said:

No you actually can now or so im told, my brother was telling me the other week giy he knows who sells weed takes bank transfers now 😂 not sure if he has a card machine 

i just can't see the scallies in the park taking Visa and Mastercard for a bag of smack and none of the escorts i have ever known wanted plastic, it was always cash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i just can't see the scallies in the park taking Visa and Mastercard for a bag of smack and none of the escorts i have ever known wanted plastic, it was always cash.

But if you ever did secure the services of a lady who accepted cards, you could also earn yourself some extra Nectar Points :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hookers and drugs aside I no longer think it is possible to go 100% cashless even with the implementation of crypto, all digital is not a sustainable or reliable as a system. There are too many vulnerabilities.

The HSBC attack a couple of years ago demonstrated its a non starter. All it would take is a couple of days of outage from one of many areas, power/internet/GPS/banking software, ect. Imagine no cash and no banking services even for a couple of days. People would suffer, especially the vulnerable. There would be casualties. Cash would have to come back after that, or an alternative barter system would fill the void naturally. Likely precious metal based. 

Perhaps we should go 100% cashless then just turn the power off for a week. Speed up this thought process a bit. I sometimes think this would solve many problems, expose people to what they are asking for so they don't want it anymore. Get Corbyn in to put the UK off socialism for a couple of generations for example. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Public transport has been trying to make their ticket machines only accept chips and cards for ages over here - then they reintroduced bill and coin slots... 😏

The larger percentage wants cash over here, I am feeling safe at the moment...

I pay everything in cash, except on the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone told me he when he applied for a mortgage, the bank mentioned the amount he paid for alcohol in pubs as he always pays with card, there. That was in a bar, while we were ordering beer. He with his card, I with cash, waving with a tenner - "easy to avoid such a situation".

 

I have seen a street artist in London a few months back, who had his card device going around in the crowd, after the performance. Most people in the supermarkets pay with cards, in the UK. I think every single one of them is a complete i...t.

Edited by silenceissilver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.