• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Key year date gold Sovereigns from the Royal Mint

longplay

Had a bit of a random email from RM today, couldn't see anyone else mention it:

Among all the Gold Sovereigns minted during Her Majesty's lifetime there are a handful that stand out, and we have acquired a very small number of a key year date at a fanatastic [sic] price. Due to the small qunatities [sic] available, we are only able to offer this coin on a request basis.

Somewhat vague, but if you're a collector of Sovs, might be worth getting in touch.

Same here...for a very brief moment I had a bad feeling that the Queen had passed...and then saw it was just another randomly vague Royal Mint email trying to have me call them from the US and rack up a $15 phone call. 🙄

40 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

Apparently it’s the 1957 Sovereign. A lot of hype for nothing.

That was the first year date for Queen Elizabeth sovereigns, even though she became Queen in 1952. The big questions are what year will she appear on the sovereign for the final time and will there be 2 issues that year to include the new monarch?

Yes I know that. But the 1957 isn’t rare, and it’s being sold by the RM at £395. So the statement that they’ve acquired a key year date at an attractive price seems like marketing hype.

Regarding your other question... I would think it will depend on when HM passes and Charles crowned king. Of course he will accede to the throne immediately, but there is usually a one year “mourning” and “preparatory” period before the coronation of the next monarch. 

If HM passes before the following year’s Sovereigns are struck (they are usually struck around October/November), then there’s no reason why the RM would do two designs for the following.  They could, but probably there are laws that govern when a monarch’s effigy needs to be replaced.  I have no idea but would be a good research project, or maybe someone who knows people at the Mint can ask what the laws are or where we can find them. 

I replied to the email and then a phone call. All of the prices were to high. I was told they have the glorious 1989 sovereign that you must have. I said i already had it and paid 1100. She sounded shocked as she tried to offer me it for 1850. Both 2002 and 2005 were about 750. 2012 was 1350 if i remember correct. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/03/2019 at 03:48, westminstrel said:

Apparently it’s the 1957 Sovereign. A lot of hype for nothing.

I was going to reply and say its probably 1957s, they can be picked up now and then for very very low prices so not a big deal.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Archived