• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2008 2 Sovereign Proof Collection

JamesMason59

Hi, this is my first post, so apologies if this is not the right place.

I'm thinking about purchasing a 2008 Sovereign and half sovereign proof collection. I'm aware that 2008 isn't a particularly special year but the price I was offered 3 days ago was £450. Is this  a reasonable premium for such a set? I tend to stick to bullion stuff so this is my first different purchase. They are second hand and were originally purchased by a gold enthusiast and then sold on to a jeweler with the original box and certificate and (according to the jeweler) have not been out of the capsules or handled. From inspecting them there appears to be no visible marks and seems to agree with not being touched. I don't currently have any photos but I'll try and get some later. It's the same collection as shown here https://www.bleyerbullion.co.uk/uk-gold-proof-sovereign-two-coin-collection-2008 .

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Just to point out: the Pistrucci St George slaying a dragon design was fully re-engraved for 2007 and this carried on to 2008. To most, this version of the Pistrucci design is least liked.

@Augustus1 thanks for the advice, I had looked at ebay but didn't check closely enough for what the actual sale price was.

@trozau  thanks for the info, I didn't know that since this I'm not into this kind of collecting.

I decided to go ahead and get them since the price from what I can gather is more or less fair. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, JamesMason59 said:

@Augustus1 thanks for the advice, I had looked at ebay but didn't check closely enough for what the actual sale price was.

@trozau  thanks for the info, I didn't know that since this I'm not into this kind of collecting.

I decided to go ahead and get them since the price from what I can gather is more or less fair. Thanks again.

Good decision! Hope you enjoy them! 

Archived