• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Canadian Mint Gold Plated Silver Sovereign

SilverPanFan

I have been looking at the RCM's website recently and I noticed that they had produced a gold plated silver sovereigns to commemorate the one hundredth year anniversary of 1908 sovereign as it was released last year. Since most of your on the forum are from the United Kingdom I wanted to know what your thoughts are one the coin and what makes 1908 a special year. 

Here is the link to the coin:

https://www.mint.ca/store/coins/1-oz.-pure-silver-gold-plated-coin---the-1908-sovereign-110th-anniversary-of-the-royal-canadian-mint---mintage-5000-2018-prod3300011

P.S. I wish the US mint would allow customer to buy back dated special coins for a while instead of having them "sold out" like some other mints allow. I think the Royal mint does a fantastic job this by allowing the public to buy classic sovereigns with the assurance of obtaining real gold with fantastic designs.

There was another thread here where a member shared the gold plated silver proof as well as the solid gold version and the comments here weren't positive for it. I've done a couple searches but can't find the thread otherwise I would link you to it. 1908 is a "special" year in this case because it was when some Sovereigns were minted in Ottawa so this was meant as a 110 year celebration of that. If its a coin you like I would say get it but I don't personally think it will ever be worth what the RCM is selling it for on the secondary market. It has been out for a number of months now and the website isn't even giving an indication that there is limited stock left so they clearly haven't been selling well.

23 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

There was another thread here where a member shared the gold plated silver proof as well as the solid gold version and the comments here weren't positive for it. I've done a couple searches but can't find the thread otherwise I would link you to it. 1908 is a "special" year in this case because it was when some Sovereigns were minted in Ottawa so this was meant as a 110 year celebration of that. If its a coin you like I would say get it but I don't personally think it will ever be worth what the RCM is selling it for on the secondary market. It has been out for a number of months now and the website isn't even giving an indication that there is limited stock left so they clearly haven't been selling well.

Concur, not positive comments from folks here on TSF, as can be reviewed in the above posted link.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived