• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Mute/Silent posts/threads of no interest

I would find it helpful if I could mute/silence a post/thread that after reading I have no interest in and no longer want to see in my timeline next time I open the forum. 

Too often I find dozens of posts/threads where members are going back and forth on and it takes me a long time to filter out the ‘noise’. 

The mute/silent switch would make filtering much quicker for me. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

But isn’t that only if I am already following a topic? If I don’t choose to follow in the first place I wouldn’t need to unfollow would I? 

3 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

But isn’t that only if I am already following a topic? If I don’t choose to follow in the first place I wouldn’t need to unfollow would I? 

If you comment or like a post in a topic I believe your automatically following from there on, I could be wrong regarding liking a post.

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

1 hour ago, StackSellRepeat said:

If you comment or like a post in a topic I believe your automatically following from there on, I could be wrong regarding liking a post.

Yep. But if you just open and read I don’t think you’re automatically following. 

4 hours ago, KitboyE17 said:

I would find it helpful if I could mute/silence a post/thread that after reading I have no interest in and no longer want to see in my timeline next time I open the forum. 

Too often I find dozens of posts/threads where members are going back and forth on and it takes me a long time to filter out the ‘noise’. 

The mute/silent switch would make filtering much quicker for me. 

I think what @KitboyE17 is saying is that,..if you don’t want to ever see a thread again, then can you have it blocked from your view like you can for block a members comments.This I think is an excellent idea!

For example..last week.. if you had no interest in the Gruffalo coins, you would not want to see hundreds of updates dominating the forum. If you could filter out that thread, it would clean up and improve the quality stream.

Not sure how easy /costly it would be to write the code for this, but I for one (plus KiyboyE17)  would welcome it.

3 hours ago, StackSellRepeat said:

Not for me on a PC, I have to manually use the 'follow' tab (surely this is its function?).

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Not for me on a PC, I have to manually use the 'follow' tab (surely this is its function?).

Hmmm I’m always using my iPad when I’m on the forum or occasionally my Iphone, If I comment on a post I’m automatically following the topic & get regular updates 🧐 

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

11 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:
4 hours ago, KitboyE17 said:

I think what @KitboyE17 is saying is that,..if you don’t want to ever see a thread again, then can you have it blocked from your view like you can for block a members comments.This I think is a excellent idea!

Thanx for translating for me! That’s exactly what I mean. 

22 minutes ago, StackSellRepeat said:

Hmmm I’m always using my iPad when I’m on the forum or occasionally my Iphone, If I comment on a post I’m automatically following the topic & get regular updates 🧐 

Maybe it's your forum/notification settings?

@ChrisSIlver?

• Founder & Administrator

By default it is set to follow topics that you comment in, you should be able to disable the default setting in your notification settings. You don’t follow topics you read, only ones you reply in or ones you press the follow botton. You can also unfollow a topic (on desktop mode) at the top right of the topic.

Alrerntivly when you go to comment on a post make sure you deselect the button to notify you of replies to the topic. (See screenshot below)

If you are still not sure after reviewing your notification settings, and require help still pleas let me know and I can private message you when I am free to do so.

63021DF2-2A58-493D-9624-9B606F184510.jpeg

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hi @ChrisSIlver

This should help @StackSellRepeat but does not address the idea raised by @KitboyE17.

What we really would like, is to have the facility to not see a particular thread at all..this is a separate issue to notifications.

For example, I might have no interest in ever looking at the kookaburra photo thread, but at the moment I will see the thread, and updates irrespective of whether I have viewed or commented on the thread at all...does that make sense!

PM me if required.

Many thanks.

• Founder & Administrator
On 01/03/2019 at 19:55, Kookaburracollector said:

but does not address the idea raised by @KitboyE17.

It isn't possible to hide topics form view on the main forum pages. You can minimise specific forum sections by pressing the mimosa error on the right side, but it isn't possible to hide a topic from view.

You can however make custom activity feeds and only include in the feed the topics you are following, to create a custom activity feed see this page: https://thesilverforum.com/discover/?do=create

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

2 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

isn't possible to hide topics form view on the main forum pages. You can minimise specific forum sections by pressing the mimosa error on the right side, but it isn't possible to hide a topic from vie

Thanx for 👀 ng into it. 

Archived