• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Double Incuse Canadian Maple - what are your thoughts?

ProjectBullion

hey everyone......i recently picked up these unique double incuse maple leafs.   2018 was the only year (to date) these have been produced by the RCM and my local dealers haven't heard of any plans for 2019 or beyond.  I don't see any other mint producing an incuse coin let alone a double, mainly because its so difficult to do.  They are sold out everywhere with the exception of one dealer so glad i was able to acquire 10 myself.

Curious to know what you think? are these special or not?

20190225_155455.jpg

20190225_155308.jpg

20190225_155619.jpg

I am a fan of the standard 1oz Maples (and especially a big fan of the reverse proof privy coins) so adding some of these in to my stack was a no brainer. I ordered them from the European Mint via the group order and according to my spreadsheet they cost me £14.12 each so very reasonably priced for a "special" issue. My overall thoughts on them mirror what @BackyardBullion thought of them when he featured them in episode 90 of his In Focus Friday series . It is a nice coin but the incuse feature is a little underwhelmng.

I think the difference makes them special and if you were able to get them at a good price I don't see how you can lose really. I still have yet to see any mintage figures but it was released alongside the 30 year 2018 1oz silver maple which has a mintage of 150000 so hopefully the mintage is along these lines or less. Given that they were released alongside the 30 year 1oz silver maples as a celebration of that milestone I would think they were produced as a one off as opposed to the beginning of a series.

Sadly I've seen reports on The Silver Forum from folks who have bought these and said despite the MintShield tech that they have noticed some spotting. Hopefully these are exceptions and won't become the norm for these coins but it is something to be aware of. Overall I think these are great and well worth having.

Nice photos! I grabbed a couple of these among a bit other things I got last year. The mintage is fairly big I think, 250'000 I saw quoted on Agaunews, so in my opinion there's a lot of them in existence... TBH I think the RCM 30th anniversary ones have garnered more interest in resale ads on forums, at least for now. Just my two cents :) I think they are interesting and so far mine have not spotted (knock on wood).

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

thanks Applezippoandmetronone!

such a great response and full of info,  i will check out the BYB video as i've not seen that episode,  thanks.   i'd haveto agree my initial response to the incuse was underwhelmed.  That said,  they are unique so I'll roll with it,  lol. 

i was horrified about your milk spot comment so just checked them all again,  happy to report no spots (yet).  To be honest, none of the maples in my stack have issues yet so i'm really hoping mint shield does its thing!

Thanks again for the trul reply. 

thanks Jultorsk!!

ouch,  that's a large mintage for these.... was hoping they would've minted less than 100k. i looked everywhere for mintage numbers but Google failed me, really helpful,  thanks. 

glad to hear your coins are "spotless"!

I appreciate the response.......

Same here.....Maple Leafs were my first love 🤣...also collecting the reverse proof privy's.
I bought a tube of incuse ML and 30th anniversary upon release....up untill now, no spotting ! 

Upon release (only pictures, no real coins seen at that moment)....it was a big question if the incuse would only be on the Leafs' side...or also on the Queens' side....days of speculation 😀 .... and with the release it was confirmed that both sides are incused. Personally, the incusion could have been a bit more pronounced....but then the thickness of the coin would have increased (I suppose)....there still needs to be 1 oz of Ag in it...lol.

Archived