• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD DEALS - (UK & Europe) See a deal, post it here

ChrisSilver
Message added by ChrisSilver,

Please do not use this section to share affiliate links, this is against forum rules. We do not want the forum to become full of spam links. Please note the announcement here, which explains in more detail

30 minutes ago, Nick1368 said:

I ordered 6 of them last night and just received a call from Hatton Garden Metals saying that this was a mistake and they are not able to send the coins and have given me a refund.

I told them if you keep doing this people wouldn't buy from you anymore, I told them sharps Pixley made a similar mistake but they still sent the items to the buyers.

I received my call- I thought it was handled very well by the lady who rang- 'glitch on the system' and lots of apologies and explanation of what went wrong their end and she explained that HGM could get a supply but 'not at that price' but asked if I wanted the quantity I ordered at their supply price per coin- which was £1250- I declined.   She promised to send cash straight back to me.  'Glitches' happen I guess.  

Edited by richatthecroft

Do retailers have to honour pricing mistakes? I would understand coins not available and it was a computer glitch (in my case last year) but this situation is different. Had a price on their website and now that what to charge higher price? Can you force the retailer to honour original price?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10602641/Price-glitches-Do-retailers-have-to-honour-pricing-mistakes.html

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

I dont mind mistakes, but not the "glitch in the system" pony.  It was priced around same as Britannia's and other 1oz, they realised they they could get more when dozens of orders came in. 

Perhaps you are right- maybe it wasn't a 'glitch', but they do happen to online retailers- recently with Sharps Pixley for example, @Bullionbilly I think? and I can testify to this personally, I remember buying a ridiculously cheap flat screen television years ago, when flat screen TV's were extremely expensive (now in the techno graveyard of course!) from an online retailer who honoured the order. 

I guess we'll never know- but if it wasn't a 'glitch', and the coins actually exist in stock, then I guess they will list them at the high premium this coin typically achieves- but this would be extremely cynical of them to do so in the next several days-  I guess the cynics could, their time permitting monitor the HGM site.  

I am certainly not defending HGM, I have no allegience to them and buy very little from them.   My post above was to point out that the staff at this organisation took the time to get on the phone and point out their error (if it was an error) and the lady that handled the call did so professionally and I believe, sincerely, if it were my business I would be proud of the way the staff handled the call.  She did offer me the same coins for the 'same price I can source them for'- I would add that the price she offered the coins for was, in my opinion, reasonable given the prices other dealers are currently charging- I declined the Lions at her offer price,  but I did negotiate a fantastic deal with her on another coin-  customer service at its best.  

My experience of HGM's customer service was refreshing and a scarce commodity nowadays

Edited by richatthecroft
Poor grammar- likely still is very poor. I wish I had taken notice at school

43 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

recently with Sharps Pixley for example, @Bullionbilly I think? and I can testify to this personally, 

Yep, thats right. Me and a few others got lucky. I paid £412 for a Sharps Pixley 1kg bar. It was a new system they had had done and it worked out it had not applied the VAT. They honoured tbe purchaces. 

*Not sure how good a deal*

Phone up the royal mint just now and ask to speak to the historic department they have 1 1989 proof half sovereign. £500. As i say not sure how good a deal that is but think thats a decent price. 

Edit: checked prices maybe not a good price lol

Edited by JosephM

1 minute ago, whitesands1 said:

May I say, I just viewed your post, it is very well written and reasoned.  It was a pleasure to read it.

Fivers in the post!

Seriously though, these things happen, even to the best of us/companies- but it’s how companies deal with ****-ups that count. 

Whilst I was ordering, my 17 year old son said ‘Dad, if something’s too good to be true, it usually is’- I wonder where he heard that before! 

5 hours ago, Abyss said:

Do retailers have to honour pricing mistakes? I would understand coins not available and it was a computer glitch (in my case last year) but this situation is different. Had a price on their website and now that what to charge higher price? Can you force the retailer to honour original price?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/money-saving-tips/10602641/Price-glitches-Do-retailers-have-to-honour-pricing-mistakes.html

Not if their T&Cs cover it.  It depends when a contract is formed and most online sellers state the contract is not formed until they have dispatched your order.  Right up to that point they can cancel for any reason they like.

10 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Not if their T&Cs cover it.  It depends when a contract is formed and most online sellers state the contract is not formed until they have dispatched your order.  Right up to that point they can cancel for any reason they like.

True. The Royal Mint are slow to cancel orders they take on popular releases, a couple of Forum members, myself included have experienced this recently. They take a firm hold on the cash in your bank until they do so. 

@Bullionaire@ogb777@MANJSK

I have messaged them with the following 

Could you please clarify that the units found here are grams and not grains?

I do apologise but that sum seems a bit too good to be true, would you be willing to guarantee the authenticity of the metal as being composed of .999 fine gold?

Lets see if I get a reply