• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Getting there brit by brit

DarkChameleon

42 minutes ago, Lucylucy said:

I recently bought cheaply a few silver britannias which completed my date run. Included in these was a 1997 Britannia - is there something different about this coin - is it included in a complete run?

Thanks

it's a proof. no bullion coins that year and it had an earlier portrait than the following year's coins.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, Coolsmp said:

I started creating a Britannia list last month. See link! Ive got most of them only missing the mule, sheep privy & dog privy.

After looking at the list I think I'll start collecting sand off the beach instead....anyone got a south sea island yellow grain?....lol.

Wow, very nice collection of Britts there.  I was on my way to doing the same thing, until I had to suddenly liquidate my entire stack/collection.  I had all the Queen's Beasts, too.  But I'm not going down that same road again, at least not right now.  I'm now focused more on Mexican mintage, American 90 percent silver, and fractional gold.  The current plan is to have a complete collection of silver Libertads, as the "fun" part of rebuilding the stack.

2 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

Wow, very nice collection of Britts there.  I was on my way to doing the same thing, until I had to suddenly liquidate my entire stack/collection.  I had all the Queen's Beasts, too.  But I'm not going down that same road again, at least not right now.  I'm now focused more on Mexican mintage, American 90 percent silver, and fractional gold.  The current plan is to have a complete collection of Libertads, as the "fun" part of rebuilding the stack.

Good for you, it's sad to have to sell, we'd all prefer to sell when we want, so we can buy some more of the same or some higher value coins but it is still something that has a use of selling pretty quickly when you need to if something comes up...when I first started out I just bought generics to get some coins, some poured, some animal based, then spread out on the animal based ones and when the prices rise a little more I'll sell my generics to buy more animals and complete some sets....im not a great fan of fractionals as the cost is a high premium compared to higher priced non fractionals but see why it's a good route when you don't have $1400 to drop on a one ounce coin...what I also did wa to buy ink jewelry, 14k gold, it's still gold, it can be kept without semi precious stones dragging the gold weight down as a person engage of th overall weight but you can also get salable items that can be sold by themselves and 100% not scrap later on...and thinking about buying items like 5 of 14k in a wedding ring will get you some pure gold for $125 or slightly above...very little premium and if you play it we you can find some jewelry for less then spot and they don't have a et price easily looked up like cetajn coins have.

3 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Good for you, it's sad to have to sell, we'd all prefer to sell when we want, so we can buy some more of the same or some higher value coins but it is still something that has a use of selling pretty quickly when you need to if something comes up...when I first started out I just bought generics to get some coins, some poured, some animal based, then spread out on the animal based ones and when the prices rise a little more I'll sell my generics to buy more animals and complete some sets....im not a great fan of fractionals as the cost is a high premium compared to higher priced non fractionals but see why it's a good route when you don't have $1400 to drop on a one ounce coin...what I also did wa to buy ink jewelry, 14k gold, it's still gold, it can be kept without semi precious stones dragging the gold weight down as a person engage of th overall weight but you can also get salable items that can be sold by themselves and 100% not scrap later on...and thinking about buying items like 5 of 14k in a wedding ring will get you some pure gold for $125 or slightly above...very little premium and if you play it we you can find some jewelry for less then spot and they don't have a et price easily looked up like cetajn coins have.

I only buy fractional gold when I find it for a low premium, like 5% or less.  Otherwise, yeah you're just paying too much.  I like the 1/10 gold Eagles and used to buy them, but I could never find them for a reasonable premium. So I had to back away from those.  I can never find good deals on them.  Or on any Eagles, gold, silver, non-fractional, doesn't matter.

What is the animal stuff you mentioned?  As in animal figures made of silver?  Good point about the gold jewelry.  You can find some really good deals if you look out for them.

4 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

I only buy fractional gold when I find it for a low premium, like 5% or less.  Otherwise, yeah you're just paying too much.  I like the 1/10 gold Eagles and used to buy them, but I could never find them for a reasonable premium. So I had to back away from those.  I can never find good deals on them.  Or on any Eagles, gold, silver, non-fractional, doesn't matter.

What is the animal stuff you mentioned?  As in animal figures made of silver?  Good point about the gold jewelry.  You can find some really good deals if you look out for them.

They were 1 ounce coins with animals on tbem, like predators, koalas, kookaburras, horses, snakes etc...so it meant I completes the lunar 2 by accident of just getting the animals on them...I also have all the qb's so far...then you have to decide if you want to collect coins and get more quicker or collect a collection and have wider gaps in your fixes and those missing pieces don't come by as frequently...when I was on a gold binge I started buying Alaska gold, the dust, pickers and nuggets, thought it would be unusual but gold in its rawest form...not something you can really collect by date. .lol...it's easier being a stacker only trying to find low premium coins and bars then it is to find a certain coin from,a certain metal of a certain year and quality, possibly cheaper to build a prepper paradise and flood it with food and guns to protect your generic silver for the end of times...lol.

3 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

They were 1 ounce coins with animals on tbem, like predators, koalas, kookaburras, horses, snakes etc...so it meant I completes the lunar 2 by accident of just getting the animals on them...I also have all the qb's so far...then you have to decide if you want to collect coins and get more quicker or collect a collection and have wider gaps in your fixes and those missing pieces don't come by as frequently...when I was on a gold binge I started buying Alaska gold, the dust, pickers and nuggets, thought it would be unusual but gold in its rawest form...not something you can really collect by date. .lol...it's easier being a stacker only trying to find low premium coins and bars then it is to find a certain coin from,a certain metal of a certain year and quality, possibly cheaper to build a prepper paradise and flood it with food and guns to protect your generic silver for the end of times...lol.

Ah, gotcha, coins with animals on them.  That's a pretty broad theme; seems like it would be a nightmare trying to complete.  😣

Yep, the Libertad collection is going to be completed by me buying only (relatively) low premiums.  So it'll be slow going, but that's OK; it's part of the fun of collecting, while also adding to the stack.  Otherwise, I'm more concerned with good cost per ounces.

5 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

Ah, gotcha, coins with animals on them.  That's a pretty broad theme; seems like it would be a nightmare trying to complete.  😣

Yep, the Libertad collection is going to be completed by me buying only (relatively) low premiums.  So it'll be slow going, but that's OK; it's part of the fun of collecting, while also adding to the stack.  Otherwise, I'm more concerned with good cost per ounces.

Can't knock that...when you have to sell your stash it doesn't tend to leave you enough to build close to what you had or you'd have only sold 1/3 your stash...mind you, second time around you don't have that learning curve again, no silly purchases cos the write up sounds great...I learnt quickly to measure weight, diameter, thickness, magnatism, quic, learn which I'm sure you use to,avoid the learners pitfalls.

2 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

Can't knock that...when you have to sell your stash it doesn't tend to leave you enough to build close to what you had or you'd have only sold 1/3 your stash...mind you, second time around you don't have that learning curve again, no silly purchases cos the write up sounds great...I learnt quickly to measure weight, diameter, thickness, magnatism, quic, learn which I'm sure you use to,avoid the learners pitfalls.

Good point about starting over.  I certainly have a bit of a different approach this time.  I still have to pry myself away from the occasional tempting pretty thing, with the high premiums.  I mean coins, too.

But this time I'm gonna stay focused...cost per ounce...cost per ounce...have to stay focused...

3 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

Good point about starting over.  I certainly have a bit of a different approach this time.  I still have to pry myself away from the occasional tempting pretty thing, with the high premiums.  I mean coins, too.

But this time I'm gonna stay focused...cost per ounce...cost per ounce...have to stay focused...

I'll but high premium coins like the sun, moon and earth set but I'm still a suckered for low premium coins, got a 20 oz set of 1 oz bars for under spot when my cc cash back and the ebay bucks kicked in..my next ebucks was enough to get me another sovereign...from that purchase and a few others...those 8% and 10% deals ae right for the dealing we do..we get 10% back on the next deal we were going to do anyways....and those gold nuggets were great to set up my metal detector, two birds and one stone..lol.

4 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

I'll but high premium coins like the sun, moon and earth set but I'm still a suckered for low premium coins, got a 20 oz set of 1 oz bars for under spot when my cc cash back and the ebay bucks kicked in..my next ebucks was enough to get me another sovereign...from that purchase and a few others...those 8% and 10% deals ae right for the dealing we do..we get 10% back on the next deal we were going to do anyways....and those gold nuggets were great to set up my metal detector, two birds and one stone..lol.

Wow, good job on getting those ebay deals.  I seem to miss those when they come around.

On 24/02/2019 at 07:33, DarkChameleon said:

I still need a few but hey, a starts a start, got another four to the set coming, thankfully didn't break the bank on the early ones.20180907_200835.thumb.jpg.3c2dd5e47f6e389ea32005cc66b2ec00.jpg

as you're from US, you can order from JM Bullion or Provident or another dealers what you need for a good price. Try searching there and it will show you price comparisons and best prices.

11 hours ago, RacerCool said:

Wow, good job on getting those ebay deals.  I seem to miss those when they come around.

Theres one on right now for today only...go there and check it out, 10% ebay bucks.

Added 0 minutes later...
8 hours ago, Frost said:

as you're from US, you can order from JM Bullion or Provident or another dealers what you need for a good price. Try searching there and it will show you price comparisons and best prices.

I have bought from both of them and a few other dealers.

Archived