• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint - Strike Your Own Sovereign

JCBullionandCoins

I'd be curious to read if anyone who took either the gold or silver VIP tours thought it was worth the price. I did the standard tour this past November and it was ok - priced about right. The strike your own coin made it worth while though as the spares I did now sell quite well. A SYO Sovereign would be nice.

Oh gee! Please don’t fall so easily for a marketing gimmick guys.

There is literally nothing special about striking one’s own coin other than that it serves as a memento of one’s actual visit to the Royal Mint.

Maybe it is worth the little extra bit for that reason.

Otherwise there is literally no logical reason to pay extra for a coin struck by someone else simply to get a piece of paper that states this. 

Just my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Oh gee! Please don’t fall so easily for a marketing gimmick guys.

There is literally nothing special about striking one’s own coin other than that it serves as a memento of one’s actual visit to the Royal Mint.

Maybe it is worth the little extra bit for that reason.

Otherwise there is literally no logical reason to pay extra for a coin struck by someone else simply to get a piece of paper that states this. 

Just my thoughts. 

If you are doing the tour it isn't a bad thing to do and it is worth getting multiples for the resale value. I have no idea why these coins seem so in demand but they are  - just check completed listings on ebay for SYO coins. At the time I went in late November the SYO was the £5 Nutcracker. I seem to remember it costing just under £8 to strike (press the button) and you could buy three. I bought three. I have kept one and I have since sold the other two on for £35 each. The profit from which more than covers the cost of the coins, tour and travel to/from the mint.

I have no idea if the gold or silver coins you can potentially strike on these VIP tours have such good resale value but if so I wouldn't turn them down. If I can have a day out doing something that interests me for free or even with a small profit I'll take it.

11 hours ago, JCBullionandCoins said:

Apparently the Royal Mint has 2019 Matt BU Sovereign available as a 'SYO' if you go on the silver or gold VIP tour. I read somewhere that it is £395 in addition to the tour price itself. 

https://www.royalmint.com/the-royal-mint-experience/vip/

When I went for the VIP tour before Xmas:

Strike your own silver proof with gold plate was £165 in a nice frame with pic & cert

Strike your own piedfor sov was £825 in a nice frame with pic & cert

Also had a standard strike your own base metal £2 coin for me and my daugher that were freebies.

IMG_20181212_140929_resized_20181212_021020617.jpg

3 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

When I went for the VIP tour before Xmas:

Strike your own silver proof with gold plate was £165 in a nice frame with pic & cert

Strike your own piedfor sov was £825 in a nice frame with pic & cert

Also had a standard strike your own base metal £2 coin for me and my daugher that were freebies.

They just stole this idea, from whisky companies and their bottle your own whisky.It would make a nice gift for someone however :)

Thanks for posting that @mr-dead - I remember reading your original post but didn't connect that with this as I imagined your tour was different - something you were invited on versus something you could buy. One question - when you were in the museum part was it time limited or could you (within reason) take time to have a good look at the coins?

2 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Thanks for posting that @mr-dead - I remember reading your original post but didn't connect that with this as I imagined your tour was different - something you were invited on versus something you could buy. One question - when you were in the museum part was it time limited or could you (within reason) take time to have a good look at the coins?

We had plenty of time to look around and not rushed at all.

Had a good look at the coins up close and personal, they aren't even in capsules just sitting loose in trays.  Some were worth over £500k so touching was a no no as you would expect.

2 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

If you are doing the tour it isn't a bad thing to do and it is worth getting multiples for the resale value. I have no idea why these coins seem so in demand but they are  - just check completed listings on ebay for SYO coins. At the time I went in late November the SYO was the £5 Nutcracker. I seem to remember it costing just under £8 to strike (press the button) and you could buy three. I bought three. I have kept one and I have since sold the other two on for £35 each. The profit from which more than covers the cost of the coins, tour and travel to/from the mint.

I have no idea if the gold or silver coins you can potentially strike on these VIP tours have such good resale value but if so I wouldn't turn them down. If I can have a day out doing something that interests me for free or even with a small profit I'll take it.

That’s partly my point... why would anyone buy this coin from a flipper? Because the buyer in this case isn’t the one profiting. They need to do their homework that’s all. 

But I agree with you that if you visit, get a couple coins, and also find a few suckers to sell to at a neat profit, then that’s your good luck 😉 

I was just telling people here my opinion which is not to fall for a marketing gimmick. 

Thanks for the reply @mr-dead . I would find that incredibly fascinating and interesting so nice to know we wouldn't be rushed in looking over the coins

@westminstrel - I agree completely. I don't understand why anyone would pay such a massive premium for any cupro nickel coin at all. £35 isn't a massive amount of money but I've bought some very nice silver coins on the secondary market for that price or less. It is all completely lost on me. To make matters even more confusing for me is that you could buy the £5 Nutcracker coin from the Mint in Brilliant Uncirculated for I think it was £12 or £13. The coin was also included in all the sales The Mint did over the holiday period so could have been had for less than that. I know the SYO are struck 5 times versus the 2 times a BU coin is struck but does that difference really mean it is worth that much more? Its all completely lost on me but if people want to pay that I'll take their money 😂

13 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

@westminstrel - I agree completely. I don't understand why anyone would pay such a massive premium for any cupro nickel coin at all. £35 isn't a massive amount of money but I've bought some very nice silver coins on the secondary market for that price or less. It is all completely lost on me. To make matters even more confusing for me is that you could buy the £5 Nutcracker coin from the Mint in Brilliant Uncirculated for I think it was £12 or £13. The coin was also included in all the sales The Mint did over the holiday period so could have been had for less than that. I know the SYO are struck 5 times versus the 2 times a BU coin is struck but does that difference really mean it is worth that much more? Its all completely lost on me but if people want to pay that I'll take their money 😂

With £35 I could almost buy a roll of silver dimes ($65-ish), so nope, not gonna pay that much for a junk metal coin.

Also, an additional  £395 to press a button that stamps a coin? No! Your taxes already pay someone to do that. 

Archived