• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

So, who got a grufallo?

lightjaw

You could be right Mr Diamond! If you can afford to hold one or more and have multiples it may not be a bad idea. Really we are in uncharted waters imvho, so I'm just saying really that for those who might be new and bought these to flip for profit the only guarantee is as of now. (Kew was different as it's a circulation coin which has received years of continual hype in the press etc, Peter Rabbit was the first, and one and only as Chesney Hawks predicted!).

The Snowman was the knockout for me, and the difference I see between that and this is that it has recurring seasonal and cross-generational appeal and significance. Is a second release possible for the Gruff? I don't know as I don't know the books, that could be key imo.

However I do not wish to get Grumpy Dave even grumpier, I am only saying what I would do if I had a few in hand already! I think it's a lovely coin indeed, very special, and really hope I can get hold of one at a resonable price for my personal collection :) These coloured silver proofs are not my thing at all but I fell in love with the Snowman and the Gruff looks great too!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is surprising me, is that most of the gold proofs for sale have no detailed photographs of the actual coin. There is just a picture of the box, COA etc but not one close up of the coin.

If I were about to spend a grand on a gold Proof, I would like to know what condition the coin was in. I have a hunch that many these coins may not be going to discerning coin collectors..surely you would want a close up picture or two!

Mine will be kept, happy with risk/reward long term and coin condition appears excellent.

On 20/02/2019 at 10:56, Mike said:

Just logged into my RM account to see that my gold proof and 2 silver proof order has been cancelled! 

I have an email confirmation with the order number, but thought it was odd that I hadn’t received a confirmation to say it had been dispatched!

Gutted - what a fiasco 

Welcome to the Royal Mint, I bought a Trial of The Phynx last month, gave all my details and Credit Card, lady went off sick the next day and didnt place the order, I lost it, had to make a stink and the reaction was very poor from Royal Mint, not the first time, the Customer service is very hit and miss, unfortunitly as many misses as hits.

2 hours ago, Scotty1511 said:

Welcome to the Royal Mint, I bought a Trial of The Phynx last month, gave all my details and Credit Card, lady went off sick the next day and didnt place the order, I lost it, had to make a stink and the reaction was very poor from Royal Mint, not the first time, the Customer service is very hit and miss, unfortunitly as many misses as hits.

To be fair, royal mint came good. My account manager had anticipated that I would want one, so put one on my account  anyway for me.  The one I bought online was cancelled under the one per household rule, very happy, I have a special delivery to collect from sorting office later 😎

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:14, GrahamDiamond said:

Highest Sale was £150 , Now average sale price is £90 Coinsters !!  This is the Frenzy, wait until later in the year, then you can Judge the Gruffalo Silver Proof 50p. 

On eBay I've just seen a silver proof go for just over £72 and there are six "Buy it nows" at £75 or under.  Has the bubble burst already?

3 minutes ago, Zhorro said:

On eBay I've just seen a silver proof go for just over £72 and there are six "Buy it nows" at £75 or under.  Has the bubble burst already?

Bubble was always going to burst pretty quick. Just look at how many are listed & people don't want to get stuck with them so undercut the other sellers. 

4 minutes ago, GrahamDiamond said:

Average price is around £80 with postage, £1 selling fees on EBay has every one Selling at the Moment, it is a wait and see I think.

I think the 25k/30k mintage was to high,and they will either stay at these prices or drop even lower.Having said that,it's still a nice coin and maybe only being allowed to buy two will end up being a good thing hehe 🙂

Archived