• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Problem With Coin Series

Silviam

I've decided to branch out a bit and try and complete collections as I believe it will add significant value if a coin set is completed, and will also quench my OCD. However I'm finding it incredibly difficult to actually find the information and work out where a series starts and finishes; surely the distributing mints would have that information on their website? I'm trying to figure out what the first coin of Austalian Lunar Series II is but I'm not having much luck. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me being imcompetent?

• Founder & Administrator

This should provide some help: 

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used mainly for sever status updates)

Billysilver's Detailed Trading Guide - great info and tips for new members trading on the forum. 

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Interested in Travelling?
Join our sister forum: The Travel Forum and share your journey.
The Travel Forum

• Founder & Administrator

The Australian Emu Palladium Bullion Coin Series 1996 - 1998

The Australian Koala Platinum Bullion Coin Series 1988 - 2000

The Australian Lunar Gold Bullion Series One 1996 - 2007

The Australian Lunar Silver Bullion Series One 1999 - 2010

The Australian Platinum Bullion Coin Series 2011 - 2018

The Australian Nugget Kangaroo Gold Bullion Coin Series 1987 - 2018

The Australian Kookaburra Silver Bullion Coin Series 1990 - 2018

The Australian Koala Silver Bullion Coin Series 2007 - 2017

The Australian Lunar Gold Bullion Series Two 2008 - 2018

The Australian Lunar Silver Bullion Series Two 2008 - 2018

Australian Bullion Privy Mark Coins 2011 - 2018

Perth Mint Bullion Other Sales 2013 - 2018

Source: https://www.perthmint.com/investment-bullion-bars-and-coins-mintages.aspx

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used mainly for sever status updates)

Billysilver's Detailed Trading Guide - great info and tips for new members trading on the forum. 

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Interested in Travelling?
Join our sister forum: The Travel Forum and share your journey.
The Travel Forum

Having looked at the mintages for the half ounce Lunars, I think I have more chance of meeting Moses than finishing this series...

P.S. If anyone has a 2008 year of the mouse half ounce silver coin they're willing to sell, let me know 🤣🤣

On 18/02/2019 at 05:14, RoughDog said:

Are you getting confused with 1/2 kg mouse?

https://www.perthmint.com/documents/Mintages/mintages3/The Australian Lunar Silver Bullion Series Two 2008 - 2018.pdf

1/2 oz is 17,114

I also thought fractional silver wasn't as popular so you may find one if you keep a look out.

The half oz lunar series was one of the most popular and mouse, ox, tiger sell for decent premiums. Seen pristine ones go for £100

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

7 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

The half oz lunar series was one of the most popular and mouse, ox, tiger sell for decent premiums. Seen pristine ones go for £100

The tiger is my favourite design from series II, followed by the horse.  I was tempted to try and get the whole collection in 1 oz but decided against it. 

On 17/02/2019 at 23:44, RoughDog said:

Are you getting confused with 1/2 kg mouse?

https://www.perthmint.com/documents/Mintages/mintages3/The Australian Lunar Silver Bullion Series Two 2008 - 2018.pdf

1/2 oz is 17,114

I also thought fractional silver wasn't as popular so you may find one if you keep a look out.

Yeah probably got mixed up, they made that many different weights it's hard seeing the right one, especially with my low attention span😂

Only going for the half ounces for the fun of it really, I've got a lot of 1 ounce coins so I thought it would make a nice addition to my stack having half ounces. Not too stressed about premiums

36 minutes ago, Silviam said:

Yeah probably got mixed up, they made that many different weights it's hard seeing the right one, especially with my low attention span😂

Only going for the half ounces for the fun of it really, I've got a lot of 1 ounce coins so I thought it would make a nice addition to my stack having half ounces. Not too stressed about premiums

I'm not too stressed about premiums either.  I recently changed my buying strategy from pure bullion, whole collections, random coins to -

only buying CGT exempt pure bullion or coins I really like.  When I say really like, I mean coins that look better than good.  Great.

I get the feeling the Perth Mint 1/2 ounce lunars look really nice. 

I may buy the 1/2 ounce tiger if I ever get the chance.

One observation collecting sets and / or date runs is you end up, most likely, being tempted into looking for a matching box.
I bought a couple of bespoke labelled wooden boxes that I hadn't realised were physically massive so safe storage then becomes a problem.
Then you fill a box e.g. silver Britannia date run with 20 coins and you need to start a second box; but it will take a further 18 years to complete - hoping the capsule size doesn't change half-way through the year run.
Oh joy !

4 hours ago, Pete said:

One observation collecting sets and / or date runs is you end up, most likely, being tempted into looking for a matching box.
I bought a couple of bespoke labelled wooden boxes that I hadn't realised were physically massive so safe storage then becomes a problem.
Then you fill a box e.g. silver Britannia date run with 20 coins and you need to start a second box; but it will take a further 18 years to complete - hoping the capsule size doesn't change half-way through the year run.
Oh joy !

I'm not too fussed about boxes to be honest, storage isn't too much of a problem for me (yet), but like RoughDog I only buy pure bullion now so the pre 2013 Britannias are off the cards for me due to them being .958. I used to buy a lot of mixed silver coinage, like .925 or half silver pre decimalised British coinage, or .800 Canadian coins but it became a bit too complicated for my strategy so I sold them all.

As with the capsule size change, couldn't you just switch capsules?

36 minutes ago, Silviam said:

I'm not too fussed about boxes to be honest, storage isn't too much of a problem for me (yet), but like RoughDog I only buy pure bullion now so the pre 2013 Britannias are off the cards for me due to them being .958. I used to buy a lot of mixed silver coinage, like .925 or half silver pre decimalised British coinage, or .800 Canadian coins but it became a bit too complicated for my strategy so I sold them all.

As with the capsule size change, couldn't you just switch capsules?

Close fitted capsules fit the coin and in good boxes the slot is generally a tight fit to the capsule so if the coin diameter changes by say 1mm either the capsule supplied with the coin doesn’t fit or is too loose in the box

Archived