• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What's a good resource to learn about individual coins?

YearOfTheDragon2014

I want to learn more about coins than just which different ones there are. Stuff like the history, the significance and subtleties of the designs, the differences in the minting process, what makes one more valuable than another, how to spot a fake etc. I'm not sure where to find the info that's accessible to a beginner.

Any recommendations?

It will answer a few (but by no means all) of your questions; the "In Focus Friday" videos that Backyard Buliion produces for his YouTube Channel are a very good place to learn a bit more about quite a few coins.

23 minutes ago, Fastnick said:

It will answer a few (but by no means all) of your questions; the "In Focus Friday" videos that Backyard Buliion produces for his YouTube Channel are a very good place to learn a bit more about quite a few coins.

I'd watched a couple of them. I'll give them another go but I sometimes find the format a bit difficult to digest. Not that that's BYB's fault. I have ADHD so 10 minutes of the same shot with off-the-cuff style narrative is very difficult for me to stay focused on. I like his videos for background, learn-by-osmosis type of thing but I personally need something a little more structured. I've noticed most of the silver people on YouTube take this format. Wouldn't surprise me if this is a hobby that appeals more to people with that kind of learning style. In which case I'll just have to persevere.

The monthly Coin News magazine is a good source of information.

Maybe do a search on eBay for coin books.

Join a numismatic society.

And as already been mentioned, a Google search will identify a lot of material.

3 minutes ago, Schnitzel said:

Many of us forum members normally have a high interest in coins and then especially our own currency. I'm fairly well versed in Swedish coins and may answer at least some questions. 

The thing is that it's not really specific questions at the moment. I'm more looking to beef up my knowledge generally. I feel like the most relevant question I could ask just now is "So... tell me about this coin". I think that might get old quickly for most of you. My thinking is that I would concentrate on whatever coin takes my fancy (currently quite taken with the Libertad's) and do a deep dive on it then move on to the next coin that takes my fancy.

I haven't looked at any Swedish coins but I'd be glad to hear anything you have to say about them. In other words: So... tell me about Swedish coins.

Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way. How have other people come to gain the knowledge they have on the subject?

I would think your best bet might be to pick one country and find the best literature that has been produced on its coins. You mention Libertads - if they specifically were my interest I would start by absorbing all the info that could be found through Google then checking to see if there is any reference literature about them or the mint that produces them in general. My interest is Canadian silver coins. I've personally found books produced by the Charlton Press to be good reference books for Canadian coins - in particular I try to have an updated copy of Canadian Coins Vol. 2 - Collector & Maple Leaf.

I think focusing like this will not only be very educational for you but give you tools needed when buying to avoid counterfeits. The more you learn specifically about a countries coins or a specific coin series the better decisions you'll be able to make as a buyer.

1 hour ago, YearOfTheDragon2014 said:

The thing is that it's not really specific questions at the moment. I'm more looking to beef up my knowledge generally. I feel like the most relevant question I could ask just now is "So... tell me about this coin". I think that might get old quickly for most of you. My thinking is that I would concentrate on whatever coin takes my fancy (currently quite taken with the Libertad's) and do a deep dive on it then move on to the next coin that takes my fancy.

I haven't looked at any Swedish coins but I'd be glad to hear anything you have to say about them. In other words: So... tell me about Swedish coins.

Maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way. How have other people come to gain the knowledge they have on the subject?

I might counter with "what do you want to know" as there is loads to know :P Mostly silver until 1965-1968, later cupronickel. Joined in monetary union with Denmark and later Norway in 1873 when the nordic countried all got kronor and ören. :) Ask away! 

However, Numista got mentioned by @999magnum. That is a very good page. Most coins have some explanation on them that helps with googleing :)

16 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

I might counter with "what do you want to know" as there is loads to know :P Mostly silver until 1965-1968, later cupronickel. Joined in monetary union with Denmark and later Norway in 1873 when the nordic countried all got kronor and ören. :) Ask away! 

However, Numista got mentioned by @999magnum. That is a very good page. Most coins have some explanation on them that helps with googleing :)

Okay, I'll start with a very simple question: Which Swedish coin is prettiest?

My best friend is Swedish and once gave me 20 kronor as a keepsake. I was very broke though and ended up having to exchange it into pounds to pay for a bus home one day. He found this hilarious.

5 hours ago, YearOfTheDragon2014 said:

Okay, I'll start with a very simple question: Which Swedish coin is prettiest?

My best friend is Swedish and once gave me 20 kronor as a keepsake. I was very broke though and ended up having to exchange it into pounds to pay for a bus home one day. He found this hilarious.

Ohh... Difficult difficult! By far must be the 20 kr gold coin from 1874 in my own collections :)

But from the circulating coins.. I do like the 1 and 2 kr coin from 1875/766 until 1907 the most I think. King Oskar II. Also the 25/50 Öre from the same years and monarch :)

Sad to hear about the 20 kr note! If you don't mind a not mint condition one I can send you one if you like :) They are not legal tender anymore but I have a few in the collection :)

20 hours ago, Schnitzel said:

Ohh... Difficult difficult! By far must be the 20 kr gold coin from 1874 in my own collections :)

But from the circulating coins.. I do like the 1 and 2 kr coin from 1875/766 until 1907 the most I think. King Oskar II. Also the 25/50 Öre from the same years and monarch :)

Sad to hear about the 20 kr note! If you don't mind a not mint condition one I can send you one if you like :) They are not legal tender anymore but I have a few in the collection :)

That would be great actually! I'll PM you.

On 17/02/2019 at 12:19, CosmikDebris said:

Yo, there are somewhat better resources for US coins – the Red Book and Blue Book of US Coins. They come out every year. Example: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0794845673/

Archived