• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stephen Hawking 50p

h103efa

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like someone pulled the plug in the bath - if it were nice looking coin i might have been interested.

Crickey we've got the makings of a series here.

proxy.duckduckgo.comp.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Just now, sixgun said:

It looks like someone pulled the plug in the bath - if it were nice looking coin i might have been interested.

Crickey we've got the makings of a series here.

proxy.duckduckgo.comp.jpg

Maybe this  ^  Copied a black hole

1 minute ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Nope. Was only after the one. Was on train in the am so lost connection on my queue and it reset. 

I only got one of each otherwise I would have sold you the extra one.

I'm sure members will be selling them on here soon enough 🙂

just noticed the silver coins are in sterling not 999 according to the specs:

less chance of those pesky milk spots?

Denomination 50p
Maximum Coin Mintage 2500
Alloy .925 Sterling Silver
Weight 16.00g
Diameter 27.30mm
Reverse Designer Edwina Ellis
Obverse Designer Jody Clark
Quality Proof
Year 2019
Pure Metal Type Silver

8 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

just noticed the silver coins are in sterling not 999 according to the specs:

less chance of those pesky milk spots?

Denomination 50p
Maximum Coin Mintage 2500
Alloy .925 Sterling Silver
Weight 16.00g
Diameter 27.30mm
Reverse Designer Edwina Ellis
Obverse Designer Jody Clark
Quality Proof
Year 2019
Pure Metal Type Silver

I think all 50p's are Sterling 🙂

49 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I only got one of each otherwise I would have sold you the extra one.

I'm sure members will be selling them on here soon enough 🙂

Cheers bud - not to fussed to be honest - I thought it may be a good longer term investment, I dont collect them :)

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

2 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

not sure, dont buy that many silver coins these days.

Just presumed that since Britannias etc had gone over to 999 the other coins had too.

Should just stick to the yellow metal lol

Only  handful of coins from royal mint are 999. Brits, Beasts and some collectable ones like the £20 and £50 ones. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

4 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

My last comment on this..

As you got yours at cost price..why do you concern yourself with the aftermarket price..you are the winner here.

If they got a discount then good for them..not sure if you have ever run a business but I have..the overheads are expensive..

Each to their own as I said, but most people do understand a business needs to make a profit..(AOC supporters excluded) they may make what you consider to be an excess profit on this item ,but this may allow them to offer other things at a lower price..or even just stay in business.

Anyway..I genuinely hope you do get your full order, as I know the wait for the next few days is a long one..I went through it not long ago..

best wishes..

I am looking forward to someone like AOC to win the next presidential election. The debt will soar, jobs lost and my massive stockpile of PM's will skyrocket. Hail the "New Green Deal". 

6 hours ago, Sal said:

That is crazy. What coins did you want?

I was only after the Proof. Loved that guy, but I’ll get onto eBay once the hype dies down.

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

3 hours ago, kimchi said:

@mr-dead the silver always are (sterling), aren't they? Less chance yes but they can still spot (e.g. Peter Rabbit 2016) which is shocking really.

Thats annoying.  I've purchased 2 of each of the silver and already fleabayed the piedforts and a silver proof.  I only want 999 silver so I am not going to keep the silver proof I was going to keep for myself now.

5 hours ago, Marc said:

This is absolutely correct, why is it that people want to inflict negativity on others just because they want to turn a margin? You have the option of just not buying from them rather than bitching about it. This is what got that idiot Shortstacks banned since he was full of hate against many and went on a rampage (supported by a few of his merry minions) against people he did not agree with. If you do not like the price people are selling things for or if you do not like people offering services for financial gain, just ignore them rather than going on a hate campaign against them.

I am still new to this game, but even I understand the simple economics of this. If you want to build a collection or a stack you are surely looking to get the best possible deal in doing so - so why be surprised when others operating at different levels (dealing or otherwise) have similar intentions of making money etc.

For those who wanted a Stephen Hawking coin yesterday, the Royal Mint were selling them at an already very high premium. We are talking about 8gm of .925 sterling silver being sold for 55 British Pounds in the first place. If that is the starting point, why are people not getting upset at this?

Some simple math (and I repeat 'simple') but if you look at the margins the mint would have made on just the gold proof yesterday, this should put this firmly into context:

Gold Proof is 22K and 8gm. At the current price level this means the coin is worth about 230 British Pounds. It sold for 795.

Silver Proof is .925 Sterling Silver and 8gm. At the current price level this means the coin is worth about 2 British Pounds. It sold for 55.

I appreciate that there are overheads including design and packaging costs etc. As well as tax etc. I get this and don't want to turn this into too simple an issue, but the reality is that if you are going to buy one of these coins you should do so with your eyes open and appreciate that everyone is looking to make money.

If this is naive or stupid, please tell me - I am new to the forum and may have misunderstood the general economics of coin collecting and dealing!

I am primarily a half sovereign collector and silver stacker and not a Royal Mint commemorative collector so perhaps do not fully understand the concepts!!!

A.

1 minute ago, richatthecroft said:

Weight was 15.5g 22K Gold

Apologies. Of course it was! 

Thanks for pointing that out. The point remains though that the actual gold content of the coin amounts to less than 450 and the coin was selling at 795. I get that this is NOT bullion and a premium will always be applied, but I guess that is the actual point of my post - everyone applies a premium, right?

@Marc I think we agree on the specific coin selling issue. Everyone has to make money and I don't begrudge the Mint at all. My central point was that if someone is going to go batsh*t crazy about a dealer charging 100+ for the Hawking silver proof, they should first have a think about what the original cost was......

PS I am not going to be on youtube anytime soon, so no worries there!!

1 minute ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I guess that is the actual point of my post - everyone applies a premium, right?

I guess anyone who invests (in any commodity) has the motivation to do so to attempt to make profit at some point down the line.   Whether it be profiting by simply enjoying owning a coin, in terms of preserving wealth and saving for a rainy day, to cash out quickly and make a few quid in a short space of time, to pass wealth on to their children or collectors buying to sell on to further their collection - I guess I could go on, and on and on- there will be thousands of individual reasons why people hold/buy/sell coins.  Whatever floats their boat, each to their own and all that, I guess ultimately, any commodity is only worth what people are prepared to pay and coin collecting is no different to any other form of collecting/investment decisions- the only thing that is common is risk of losses is always present.    

Using the forum as the platform for the old hype and gouge.

"Look I have some coins left, only 100 quid more than they sold at mint if you are quick!". 

You say it's just business. Fair enough, at long as people know what's going on should they chose to pay such prices. Banning people for pointing out these practices doesn't do you or the forum any favours. Arguably neither does the practice.

We used to tell people to wait for things to die down and pick one up later at a discount, especially these mint offerings. 

7 hours ago, Marc said:

How do you know that? Once again another shortstack going on about how others mark up prices. If you do not agree just ignore them rather than belittle them for wanting to make a profit. Pardon me for wanting to run a business. It is telling who likes your post.

Well, as I am the only person who liked the post in question, you are obviously referring to me.

If you want to criticise me for my opinions, do it directly, without hiding behind replies to other posts or taking cheap shots from the safety of your sales threads.

My beef is not against genuine sellers who want to run a business, I have done it myself and I understand all that it entails.

My main criticism is reserved for the RM who sell these hyped up special editions with increasing regularity. They create mass hysteria, jam up their own website and fuel ebay profits. They know they will sell out each edition very quickly so why do they need to supply these coins to the dealers lucky enough to be on some preferred dealer list?

It is farcical that some of these dealers are selling them at inflated, gouged prices even before the RM has sold out!

Traditionally, dealers sell aftermarket coins at the market rate; it's a time honoured way of making a profit. They also sell new products at retail price. If they want to give up some of their dealer margin and offer these coins at a small discount, then fair enough.

However, to use their privileged position as some kind of preferred dealer to gouge prices and make extortionate profits is wrong IMO and the RM shouldn't allow it.

In many industries, the manufacturer exerts extensive control over their retailers to prevent this sort of profiteering and also to prevent heavy discounting.

The Royal Mint should do the same.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Your opinion is respected (by myself) and as long as yuo do not go on a hate rampage against people for wanting to make money or for bad grammar

Here you go again; constantly digging up the past.

Is this all you do, other than sell coins on here? Occasionally dipping into threads and harping on about Shortstack and having a go at myself and others who don't share your opinions?

Well, seeing as you brought it up; the incident you’re referring to was in fact started by you, in an attempt to put me down. You left a sarcastic comment to one of my posts then proceeded to attempt to belittle my reply with something like “a pathetic attempt at an intelligent reply”.

In the process of doing so, you exhibited some errors by misunderstanding the meaning of some words and your use of grammar. I merely pointed this out; if you live in a glass house, don’t throw stones.

As you clearly don’t respond well to criticism in any form, you then reported me for bullying and posting “ha ha” emoticons in your sales threads, which I did, once!

8 hours ago, Marc said:

This is what got that idiot Shortstacks banned since he was full of hate against many and went on a rampage (supported by a few of his merry minions) against people he did not agree with

There you go again; constantly referring to Shortstack and his minions. He really has got under your skin hasn’t he?

He’s gone now so forget him.

You will also find that he didn’t have any minions. He merely had a number of people who respected his knowledge of numismatics and freely shared it on this forum. Something you clearly will never understand.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived