• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stephen Hawking 50p

h103efa

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Ive not had mine delivered yet but to me it looks like intentional shadowing.

Probably hard to do on a Black Hole 🤔

If it was that you would think it would be the same on all coins but the missing chunks of polished surface are different on each coin so I think it's a problem. Mine is on its way back already so when it gets changed I'll see what the new one is like.

Still have the silver to arrive... hope they are better.

56 minutes ago, longplay said:

Going on recent releases, skip the early dawn queue and just wait for the hype to pass. With the exception of the 2016 Peter Rabbit, secondary prices drop to release price (even below) after a couple of weeks.

At least 3 of the 5 Beatrix Potter released in 2016 will still set you back significantly more than issue price, as will a large number of the £2 silver proofs released in recent years. It’s also true that some can found significantly below issue price. Pot luck really, but the hype doesn’t always die down.

For balance then I reckon two years from now, these will be found less than mint release price somewhere it's a bit of luck true but it's how it generally goes. The exceptions are few and far, normally special sovereign designs but again opportunities arise to buy them cheap too. Many years from now, you will likely be picking the gold ones up for spot. Depending on what spot does.

I understand that a few years ago proof 50p coins were exceptionally niche. Trends change and hype evaporates as fast as the premium on most mint releases. 

Good examples of these in gold will be rare as hen's teeth and imo could do very well indeed, I hope all those with disappointing coins get great replacements from the mint :)

Apart from a quick flip, these kinds of coins should only be bought by folks who are confident they will not have to sell in a hurry imo and are happy to keep and enjoy the coins. At such a tiny mintage there will not be an established market for these for many years, if a truly representative one at all. If you're forced to sell quick then yes you may have to take what you are offered, but find the right buyer and stick to expecting a premium and it should turn out to be a decent investment imvho.

28 minutes ago, h103efa said:

Something a bit fishy about the 006 Coa gold Hawking on ebay currently at 3k and soon to finish. 0 feedback seller and highest bidders! 

Hi, has this sold ? because I can’t see it on eBay.

Something else fishy...I have just watched 3 Silver Proofs sell in the last 10 minutes, and they were all bought by the same person!...someone is mopping them up for just under £90 each...(an ebayer with 750 transactions)..anyone here?

1 hour ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Hi, has this sold ? because I can’t see it on eBay.

Something else fishy...I have just watched 3 Silver Proofs sell in the last 10 minutes, and they were all bought by the same person!...someone is mopping them up for just under £90 each...(an ebayer with 750 transactions)..anyone here?

Item number 113688340601

Interesting observations with the SP

42 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Getting more interesting by the minute..when I search that item number nothing comes up...could you post a screen shot..I want to see how this one ends! Cheers

Here you go 

Screenshot_20190321-184351_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190321-184400_eBay.jpg

Thanks@h103efa no idea why I couldn’t see it..perhaps it’s because I use the ‘avoid the dodgy buggers’ filter 😂 

Ummm...postage at £3.95!

2nd Class, uninsured...just how I like it when I’ve got £3k whistling in the wind..

Since my last post, the same buyer I referred to has bought another proof and a piedfort...each to their own!

Archived