• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is There No Room Left For Non Graded Coins

danmc82

I've noticed over the past year or so that there is an increase in graded coins being sold in the trade section. Seems like 7/10 Sovereigns are being sold this way.

I'm not against anyone doing this, I collect graded Silver Panda's myself. But why is this?

• To make money?
  • The Seller wishes they hadnt got it graded so want to sell?
  • More sort after from buyers?
  • Collectors/Stackers think the coins look ugly in their original Box?
  • To protect the coin from damage (Although I disagree with this if they originally came in a capsule)

Like I said, i'm not against this but IMO a Proof Coin, being that a Sovereign or any other coin, looks so much more appealing in original packaging, than one in a slab.

I feel collectors will soon be after original, untouched coins as they are becoming rarer everyday.

What are your thoughts?

I like my coins in slabs as I can view them easily without having to open boxes & capsules when it may only be a quick oh thats nice. I do also appreciate they increase in value which in turn helps when selling duplicates to then reinvest inti coins I need & end up paying less for them myself.

18 hours ago, danmc82 said:

I've noticed over the past year or so that there is an increase in graded coins being sold in the trade section. Seems like 7/10 Sovereigns are being sold this way.

I'm not against anyone doing this, I collect graded Silver Panda's myself. But why is this?

• To make money?
  • The Seller wishes they hadnt got it graded so want to sell?
  • More sort after from buyers?
  • Collectors/Stackers think the coins look ugly in their original Box?
  • To protect the coin from damage (Although I disagree with this if they originally came in a capsule)

Like I said, i'm not against this but IMO a Proof Coin, being that a Sovereign or any other coin, looks so much more appealing in original packaging, than one in a slab.

I feel collectors will soon be after original, untouched coins as they are becoming rarer everyday.

What are your thoughts?

There is plenty of room for both and not every coin needs to be slabbed at all. In fact for regular bullion type coins there has to be a real reason to slab and even if you slab its often better to buy ready slabbed from the large dealers.

I think that there are lots of reasons for and against. Rightly or wrongly slabbing and grades to differentiate between a homogeneous product and slabbing can be a source of coinflation too. Many people here buy, grade and sell and make money. Some buy to hold, some sell lower grades and keep high grades. Many will sell with the original packaging and COA and capsule so a buyer can unslab and return to the capsule.

If you look to the USA unslabbed coins are now becoming more desirable and buyers go after the raw coins which they can buy more cheaply as they hunt for bargains in order to add value to them by grading. I believe you are right that the coins in boxes or sets do look attractive and desirable and i have some sets that are unslabbed but we are in an age where mint Quality Control is suspect and that in some cases for proof sovereigns 1/3rd or more of coins are defective so what slabbing does is really provide a quality statement in a way that the mint cant do on its own.

I think there's definitely a sense of "locking in" a good grade. Personally I feel awkward holding semi numismatic pieces for fear of somehow damaging them, but something sealed in a capsule feels less risky (I mean there's a reason I tend to go for bullion rather than numismatics).

Some coins certainly do look better in their original box /case but as already mentioned storage, viewing and reduced damage risk are the benefits of of graded coins. The main problem associated with buying graded coins are the excessive premiums some sellers are loading on to 70 grade coins which of course is another reason for some people to grade.

Personally i look at my coins with the naked eye and not with  5 x magnification and i can't tell the difference between most 69's and 70's, sometimes you can't see the difference with magnification so for me a 69 grade coin is perfect enough. Of course it is pleasing to get a 70 when grading coins from raw for your collection but then you are not paying the OTT premiums.

Most coins generally were create in a pristine state (non graded), when these coins reached their first owners, are treated differently by the fingers. Murphy’s law applies. Graded coins are intentions by the owners meant to preserve the coins in their pristine state under a controlled environment, especially proof coins for the premiums paid. Wouldn’t one protect one’s investment/asset? If one feels a coin capsule is sufficient to do the job, why not? If a slab can do better, why not?

58 minutes ago, Au79 said:

Most coins generally were create in a pristine state (non graded), when these coins reached their first owners, are treated differently by the fingers. Murphy’s law applies. Graded coins are intentions by the owners meant to preserve the coins in their pristine state under a controlled environment, especially proof coins for the premiums paid. Wouldn’t one protect one’s investment/asset? If one feels a coin capsule is sufficient to do the job, why not? If a slab can do better, why not?

Its down to the owner to keep the coin protected and damage free. You shouldnt have to pay an external company to do that for you.

You pay a premium for a proof to guarantee you get a pristine coin in protective packaging. If the owner decides to handle the coin, its upto them, but they then cannot moan when re-sale is compromised.

In the age of the internet grading give a standard to value a coin that can’t easily be judged by photos and not always realistic to see before buying. I’ve photoed the same coin at different angles and that same coin can look terrible or awesome!

I like generally older sovereigns and the chances of getting a cleaned one are quite high, especially I have found from ebay so rather pay a premium and get a slabbed known grade. 

• Founder & Administrator
10 hours ago, Numistacker said:

If you look to the USA unslabbed coins are not becoming more desirable and buyers go after the raw coins which they can buy more cheaply as they hunt for bargains in order to add value to them by grading.

Presume you meant 'now' instead of 'not? Let me know if you would like it edited.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I buy a lot of ungraded coins which I then slab in the hope of getting the perfect 70 scores (of course depending on what I'm grading) but for me say the modern special sovereigns is something I collect. I buy them individually or in the sets, send them off for grading via Numi and see what comes back. The 70's stay in my collection, and any duplicate 70 grades or lower get resold to offset the cost of the sets im buying. It may not always be the most cost effective as a poor result can leave you  out of pocket potentially but its the risk I take to get a cheaper coin and see if it comes back as perfect or not. Many people are more than happy with a non-70 grade coin, and often the 69/70 are almost identical so there is a market for those coins, especially when the 70's can sometimes demand a high premium.

The way I see it is, if i decide to sell some coins I have the original packaging carefully stored away. Should i sell, i can show what grades the coins got and sell with the original packaging. If the buyer wants to put them back in then they know what the grade of the coin is and can break open the slab and put back in the original capsule. Best of both worlds, can appeal to the slab collectors and those that want the original box sets but worry about potential condition of the coin. 

Everyone is welcome to shout at me, but I only purchase slabbed coins so that I know 90% of the time I'll be getting the grade or one either side (to improve on what I already have). I then break the slab and put into my collection :D

I have too many coins to store them in slabs, this is one of the primary reasons for doing the above.

I keep very valuable coins (5-10k+) in their slabs if bought in one. 

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

52 minutes ago, sg86 said:

Everyone is welcome to shout at me, but I only purchase slabbed coins so that I know 90% of the time I'll be getting the grade or one either side (to improve on what I already have). I then break the slab and put into my collection :D

I have too many coins to store them in slabs, this is one of the primary reasons for doing the above.

I keep very valuable coins (5-10k+) in their slabs if bought in one. 

Do you send the inserts back to NGC and PCGS so they can remove the coins from their census? If not this is a really good idea or at some stage these coins will be reslabbed and the census numbers will be wrong. 

1 minute ago, Numistacker said:

Do you send the inserts back to NGC and PCGS so they can remove the coins from their census? If not this is a really good idea or at some stage these coins will be reslabbed and the census numbers will be wrong. 

No I don't, hadn't considered it but will collect them going forward and do that for those who utilise the census database

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

On 17/02/2019 at 05:31, Numistacker said:

Hi @Numistacker do you send PCGS the inserts when your customers cross to NGC? Is there someone there managing this process?

Archived