• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 matt finish sovereign

Goldmick

50 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

I've just rang them and of course they dont have replacements available.  Basically said I can ring head office on Monday and they will refund it.

I am going to just send for grading and at least learn something from it, as its my first coin I've purchased for grading I will know for next time if I send it off.  If I dont send it I wont know for next time so I think I am going to just have to throw myself in the deep end and learn to swim :D

Customer services are clueless I have found (I'm not a VIP with a 'knowledgeable' account manager like some on here). Personally I wouldn't stand for any of their stock 'we can't do anything' responses - sometimes I've phoned them and they don't even know the mintages, I always have to get them to check with a manager. But, whatever you decide to do, we all live and learn :)

Whatever you decide to do, as long as you enjoy your coin that is all that matters imho :)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2019 Matt BUSOD arrived yesterday. Nice coin, some shiny high areas under 10X magnification. Judge for yourselves on the images below, taken under 7x magnification.  That said it isn't a proof coin and there will always be small imperfections you spot under intense magnification.  I'm happy with the coin but I don't think the Matt finish shows the coin design in the best light, to me it looks flat.  

Thats not going to impact on the price though, I think due to the low mintage numbers it will prove popular and elusive, unless they bring another 'interesting' Matt out this year, IMO it will remain a popular, but hard to source must have. 

https://www.1817.co.uk

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1933.jpeg

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

Nice pictures.

Thanks, all my images are taken in the same way. I have an attachment for my iPhone and the images look pretty good. I do get some shadowing but on the whole better than most... The proofs reflect and shade the most.  Take a look here https://www.1817.co.uk/store/p30/1994_Gold_Proof_Double_Sovereign.html for an idea of the image quality of proofs. 

1 hour ago, terakris said:

Picked mine up today. Had a good look under 30x - luckly I dont have that big black spec.

Is that our new standard ? 30x 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

5 minutes ago, terakris said:

Thats the lowest  I have.... the way I see it, if I cant find anything under 30x im good for a 70 ;) 

That means I will send you a proper 5 and 8x yea 

i have a dozen 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Looking on Ebay today I was surprised to see a 2013 SOTD for some reason I thought they only started doing it the past 3 or so years

I can find a 2012 SOTD, are there any older than that?

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Looking on Ebay today I was surprised to see a 2013 SOTD for some reason I thought they only started doing it the past 3 or so years

I can find a 2012 SOTD, are there any older than that?

The older SOTDs were just regular BU Sovereigns that were specially struck on the day - they had no design differences between them and the regular bullion coins of those years. 

Edit: They only came in fancier packaging, so any amount you’re paying above regular bullion Sovereign price is for that packaging.

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

Edit: They only came in fancier packaging, so any amount you’re paying above regular bullion Sovereign price is for that packaging.

Only a few have different designs anyway. So I think it's more about the general sotd recognition than any design difference for some. I try and collect them all cos of the sotd fact, so the fancy packaging is essential for early ones.

29 minutes ago, terakris said:

Only a few have different designs anyway. So I think it's more about the general sotd recognition than any design difference for some. I try and collect them all cos of the sotd fact, so the fancy packaging is essential for early ones.

Does being BU not make them better strikes? could you hold one against a normal bullion and tell? 

The 2017 SOTD garter was closer to a proof than bullion

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Against bullion yes I think you could tell. I guess the issue is if they are not a special design in some way it's hard to tell it from another bu. I dropped off a set of coins to ngc for grading but as they don't have a specific detail to identify it as the sotd version they won't always mark it as such as you could just submit a bu version and say it was the strike on the day. So often you won't get the sotd designation cos they can't say for sure it is (unless they are sent over totally mint sealed)

Mines here! All good except a tiny dot of shine. A little gutted as I wanted to grade but unsure now.

still it’s a bloody good looking coin for a non proof

6DCD95B3-8B5E-4CB8-8912-16171A65F5D4.jpeg

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

5 minutes ago, creative said:

Mines here! All good except a tiny dot of shine. A little gutted as I wanted to grade but unsure now.

6DCD95B3-8B5E-4CB8-8912-16171A65F5D4.jpeg

NCS might be able to help improve that. It would appear a few of the coins are not in great condition. I saw one listed recently and the whole top section just looked like it had dirt on it.

5 minutes ago, creative said:

Same as me, just a spec missing otherwise 

I also have a line I don't think is part of the design..

line.thumb.jpg.2a3a28cc3f27ee938ebc353b482765c8.jpg

On 15/05/2019 at 07:37, Kookaburracollector said:

The SOTD Victoria Sovereign will be my first EVER sovereign purchase....just worried about opening Pandora’s box now....what will this lead to?

And today it arrived...(see today I received)..perhaps I just need to buy one or two more....

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/06/2019 at 17:03, terakris said:

What's this mark? On the coin or just some fluff?

Screenshot_20190602-170153_Chrome.jpg

@terakris not fluff its a small area of matt finish that isn't matt finished!. I have seen the same mark on several of these coins in exactly the same place.

8 minutes ago, 1817SovereignCollector said:

@terakris not fluff its a small area of matt finish that isn't matt finished!. I have seen the same mark on several of these coins in exactly the same place.

Yeah, now more have been on the forums and eBay ive seen a few with the same mark, also there are some with a mark in the top right field on the reverse, again like the matte frosting has come away or something. I dont think this mintage was their best for quality control... be interesting what the grading goes like at NGC when these start coming back.

Archived