• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 matt finish sovereign

Goldmick

13 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Mine arrived today but I dont know how I feel about it.  I was looking to get my first coin graded with @Numistacker but looking through a loupe there are lots of white specs where frosting should be (I think)  Especially the high points of the dragon that are way to shinny for a matt finish.  Is this normal I dont think this would get a 70 although I've never had a coin graded before so I may be picky.

Do I return the coin, sell it on or try my grading look.  Is this normal, have any others out there looked at their coin under magnification and notices similar marks?

may I ask the   magnification of your loupe ?

but I think you are just too nervous even if you are using 5-10x loupe 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, terakris said:

I won't collect mine till next week but my Matt finish sovereign was flawless. Any chance you can post pics so we can see?

Sure its hard to do but this one shows the best.  Its way more obvious under the loupe.  You can see the specs on the horses legs in this image but they are dotted all over the horse and dragon mainly in the raised areas

sov.thumb.jpeg.842bed9832fbfc1f20b5afd7a8404b7d.jpeg

sov.jpeg

I see what you mean. Can you see them with the naked eye or just under the loupe? If with the naked eye I'd consider sending it back but you will have to wait for either a cancelled order or someone else's return. With this coin, might just be luck of the draw  :(

8 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

may I ask the   magnification of your loupe ?

but I think you are just too nervous even if you are using 5-10x loupe 

its 10x IIRK I've posted an image above but I dont think I am able to get a good one to show the extent because I am a photo noob!

2 minutes ago, terakris said:

I see what you mean. Can you see them with the naked eye or just under the loupe? If with the naked eye I'd consider sending it back but you will have to wait for either a cancelled order or someone else's return. With this coin, might just be luck of the draw  :(

You need a loupe to see it but looking at the queen side there are some letters that hardly have any "matt" at all.

39 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Sure its hard to do but this one shows the best.  Its way more obvious under the loupe.  You can see the specs on the horses legs in this image but they are dotted all over the horse and dragon mainly in the raised areas

sov.thumb.jpeg.842bed9832fbfc1f20b5afd7a8404b7d.jpeg

sov.jpeg

Could this be “normal” for matte coins?

As it stands mine is not going to get a 70 so I think I will be moving it on :( shame because I want to start building up a graded collection but I am not going to grade unless there is a chance of a 70 grade.

I got mine, and I have to say I'm very pleased with it -- so much so that I am reconsidering selling it, I want to keep it. The detail is absolutely breathtaking... a miniature work of art. And especially when seen next to a bullion coin, the detail is far superior, very fine.

I can see the little dots that you are referring to... but in my view it's too small to worry about. I don't think it will prevent you from getting a 70. It's probably part and parcel of this matt finish.

12 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

As it stands mine is not going to get a 70 so I think I will be moving it on :( shame because I want to start building up a graded collection but I am not going to grade unless there is a chance of a 70 grade.

Standard RM really, no quality control

I wonder what caused the issue of the dots of matte finish being missing

Do they sand blast shiny blanks, but when they're pressed the high points get rubbed down to the shiny surface?

As for being 70, NGC say "A coin with no post-production imperfections" the issues with the coin wouldn't be post production

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

7 hours ago, Kman said:

Mine looks fairly perfect on first inspection, thankfully

coin.thumb.jpg.e6b1d7a898c4d85c5826d8ef4c70b736.jpg

Does it look the same on the back?  Some of the letters on mine dont have any matt at all I will post a pic if I can get a good one

6 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Does it look the same on the back?  Some of the letters on mine dont have any matt at all I will post a pic if I can get a good one

No Matt ? Error coin ?

Thanks @Kman thats very helpful because mine looks like that and the areas where I see shine instead of matt seems to have the same parts reflected on yours too so I expect its because its under a loupe.

Its annoying because no matter how hard I try I cannot get a good picture to show the specs or the full matt.

16 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

No Matt ? Error coin ?

Its not an error because its matted just some edges are not and there are white specs.  I think I am going to just send to @Numistacker and see what happens.  The worst that can happen is I learn something because me personally would not give this coin a 69 or a 70 but I've never graded a coin before so I an a noob.

(For some context I am a video game collector and ex CCG collector so maybe I am being to picky)

5 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Its not an error because its matted just some edges are not and there are white specs.  I think I am going to just send to @Numistacker and see what happens.  The worst that can happen is I learn something because me personally would not give this coin a 69 or a 70 but I've never graded a coin before so I an a noob.

(For some context I am a video game collector and ex CCG collector so maybe I am being to picky)

I can understand your frustration. You feel paranoid about the smallest imperfection.. and you start to hate the coin (thats what i feel when i see things on a proof coin. I was told that it is hard to strike “the perfect coin” but still i do like to at least see no imperfections on a proof coin. But as others said, maybe it is normal to see them under magnification. 

That is certainly a possibility and your bang on about how I feel about it.  I am going to send to numi for grading anyway and I will keep this post updated when I get it back.  At least it will help others know if its paranoia or justified concerns.

2 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

That's where NGC are very naughty imo, and I reckon it's a scam/incompetence. They say a 70 is achievable with no post-production imperfections, but many of the coins from the RM that have 'problems' (and indeed other mints) are submitted directly without even ever taking out the capsule and still don't get 70s (and yet some with obvious imperfections do :wacko:).

If I was in any doubt myself I would be hot on the phone to the Mint asap to register my complaint and tell them I was sending it back immediately for a replacement, to make sure I was first in line for one. Someone posted that you would have to wait for other returns and whatnot but I don't think so myself - they know they get returns on these, there must be some put aside, the website says 'currently available' rather than 'sold out'. I reckon customers who are first to kick up a fuss and return have the best chance of a proper replacement. I would then guess that 'imperfect' returns then go to those on the waiting list, or those who were too late to complain once the 'back-up stock' is exhausted. All imvho, but worth a chance at least I reckon if you only want top grades. For a coin that seems already to be worth at least double the issue price I would not take any RM dodgy strikes myself, at least I would have a go at trying to get a better one off them!

@Guybrush, upon closer inspection, it appears that I have the same "issue" as you... don't really know what to call it, or how serious it is, if at all. I attach pics of my coin. Unfortunately my phone camera is not the best, but should give you an idea. Comments welcome.

I've just rang them and of course they dont have replacements available.  Basically said I can ring head office on Monday and they will refund it.

I am going to just send for grading and at least learn something from it, as its my first coin I've purchased for grading I will know for next time if I send it off.  If I dont send it I wont know for next time so I think I am going to just have to throw myself in the deep end and learn to swim :D

28 minutes ago, Guybrush said:

Forst of all 10x loupe is a little bit over power , try to use what Grading company are using which is 5x 

it makes a lot of difference but so far I can’t see there is anything wrong 

69 isn’t bad result 

When I ordered two silver proof Queen's Beasts, both came scratched and tainted from the Mint... I complained and returned them, and received two new coins a few weeks later, that are absolutely immaculate... perfect coins. :) I'm very happy now that I did complain!

3 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

@Guybrush, upon closer inspection, it appears that I have the same "issue" as you... don't really know what to call it, or how serious it is, if at all. I attach pics of my coin. Unfortunately my phone camera is not the best, but should give you an idea. Comments welcome.

coin3.jpg

coin4.jpg

Yes, thanks for posting them I could not get a good shot of them no matter how hard I tried on my phone.  You can see the lettering does not completely have the "matt" finish and I can see a couple of specs on the horse, sword and the dragon.  I dont know if this is common across all the coins though.

Archived