• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 matt finish sovereign

Goldmick

6 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

I don't know... you reckon worldwide there would be no more than 650 sovereign collectors/investors?

As for the prices, you may be right.. I guess flippers would need to sell within the first few months for maximum return. Or what would you say Numistacker?

Just cool down the hype (in your mind and with not buying) Look at all the rare eg 2017 sotd - all available with some kind of reasonable premium... this sotd will not doulbe in price like all the others as well.

patience! is the key

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I cannot see anywhere a mintage of 650 – only a limited edition presentation of 650. Curious what the COA will reveal on final numbers these ones. 

4 minutes ago, kugelblitz said:

Just cool down the hype (in your mind and with not buying) Look at all the rare eg 2017 sotd - all available with some kind of reasonable premium... this sotd will not doulbe in price like all the others as well.

patience! is the key

The 2018 Sapphire Coronation SOTD is still going in eBay for around £1,000 ... exactly double the RM listing price. And this one seems more exclusive, lower mintage.

31 minutes ago, kugelblitz said:

mintage 650 is enough to satisfy collector market - the coin flippers make them rare atm

2017 full proof sovereign mintage 13,050; issue  price around £430 (can't remember), sold out 

Currently selling for around £650 on eBay and only ever going to go up 

Would suggest to me that that there's at least around 13,000+ interested collectors and likely many more 

Maybe only 1/10 would be interested in this coin but that's still double the mintage

The only draw back for a coin like this is if they start making loads of novelties similar and they start to seem tacky instead of special 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

9 minutes ago, augur said:

I cannot see anywhere a mintage of 650 – only a limited edition presentation of 650. Curious what the COA will reveal on final numbers these ones. 

Under specifications on the page it says 

Maximum Coin Mintage 650 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

For many issues dealers like CC can get the stock they want. However, some issues are highly restricted to dealers and this was one of them. Discounts/Margins were squeezed and allocations from the mint were cut back by 90%. CC could have taken orders for half the entire mintage of this coin but could not get the stock and the coins they did get they had to pay more for. This being the case the only way to "ration" the available coins and to make a reasonable return is to offer the very very few coins available and unallocated on the web site at a market price. General custom in these situations is to price according to how many and the very last few get charged the highest price. 

My main point really is I don't see why the Mint should allocate any to dealers. That is, a coin issue with such a restricted mintage.

IMO the dealers don't have a God given right to make a profit out of every coin issue.

You're not telling me that CC had to pay over retail price for some coins from the RM are you? and and such had to gouge them just to make any profit?

If so, that makes the Mint's behaviour even worse.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, Kman said:

Under specifications on the page it says 

Maximum Coin Mintage 650 

In that case congratulations to the flippers who went for it!

12 minutes ago, augur said:

In this case, unless they have made a serious error in their numbers, this will be a rare case of only one presentation, with the same number as the maximum mintage.

Added 0 minutes later...
Just now, augur said:

In that case congratulations to the flippers who went for it!

I'm sure the majority will have been bought by flippers; even many of the VIPs.

28 minutes ago, kugelblitz said:

just my guess:

1st they sell high 1k -

in a year or two for roundabout the original release price 500-550...

mintage 650 is enough to satisfy collector market - the coin flippers make them rare atm

I would flip these quick myself for that kind of money, definitely. The most profit imo.

I don't see them ever going that low though as they are rare enough that once in collections they won't be leaving! There is no reason to sell low unless it's a fire sale and you can't find the right buyer in a hurry, it will be a seller's market.

However there are so many of these coming now and it's clearly the course the Mint are taking. Someone already mentioned it but how many gimmicks before they start to become rather meaningless? As a modern Sovereign collector I draw the line somewhere, and this is way over that and thus had no interest at all for my collection. Surely the most contrived and pointless modern issue ever? (?) However I do hope it continues to do very well as it should further increase the value of imvho far more notable, desirable, and actually interesting unique coins such as the Pistrucci SotD (plain edge. proof error cert) and Sapphire Coronation (privy, plain edge) - both prooflike. Matte with a VC privy? Not for me, but no doubt there are way more than the mintage limit worldwide who will be wanting these, so the price should do well, if not at FOMO present levels. Long-term, with the inevitable mattes to come, who knows?!!

@richatthecroft posted a very interesting reply on another thread recently about how the 1989 Sov was received at the time, well worth a read imo (I forget where, maybe it was this thread, if so apologies!). Perhaps the mattes will do similar great things, my hunch is the Piedforts though, far closer relationship to the main collection most would want imo, as are the two SotDs I've mentioned. All imvho!

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

My main point really is I don't see why the Mint should allocate any to dealers. That is, a coin issue with such a restricted mintage.

IMO the dealers don't have a God given right to make a profit out of every coin issue.

You're not telling me that CC had to pay over retail price for some coins from the RM are you? and and such had to gouge them just to make any profit?

If so, that makes the Mint's behaviour even worse.

What i am saying is that 90% of RM issues are not flippable. The dealers support every issue and invest working capital in ALL those issues that we do not buy and sometimes get left with stocks of coins that are not saleable. What do you think this deserves? When there is an issue that comes along they can make a small profit on that they do not get allocated? 

8 minutes ago, Kman said:

2017 full proof sovereign mintage 13,050; issue  price around £430 (can't remember), sold out 

Currently selling for around £650 on eBay and only ever going to go up 

Would suggest to me that that there's at least around 13,000+ people interested collectors and likely many more 

Maybe only 1/10 would be interested in this coin but that's still double the mintage

The only draw back for a coin like this is if they start making loads of novelties similar and they start to seem tacky instead of special 

I was not talking about the proof. SOTD, Pain edge, and wedding and platinum with different edges...

Anyway we'll see and make all our individual experiences.

Agree with sovsteve: dealers NOT collectors hold many many this coin...

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

As a modern Sovereign collector I draw the line somewhere, and this is way over that and thus had no interest at all for my collection. Surely the most contrived and pointless modern issue ever? (

Interesting opinion. I take entirely the opposite view.

Other than the 2017 proof, all the modern day issues have been utterly contrived and pointless IMO.

I see more collectable value in this coin than all the pointless Royal anniversaries and birthday issues the Mint has spewed out recently.

each to his own.

6 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

What i am saying is that 90% of RM issues are not flippable. The dealers support every issue and invest working capital in ALL those issues that we do not buy and sometimes get left with stocks of coins that are not saleable. What do you think this deserves? When there is an issue that comes along they can make a small profit on that they do not get allocated? 

When you put it that way, I would have to lend some support. However, "small profit" does not apply in this case with their obvious profiteering.

You do seem to know a lot about the CC these days Russell 😉

10 minutes ago, kugelblitz said:

I was not talking about the proof. SOTD, Pain edge, and wedding and platinum with different edges...

Anyway we'll see and make all our individual experiences.

A full sovereign issued by the RM is a full sovereign,  there's enough sov collectors who want everything, gimmicky or not

historically how many full unique sovereigns have a mintage as low as 650? 

They could do a special McDonald's SOTD with the queen wearing Ronald's clown nose and the arch behind the dragon, if it's a unique sovereign from RM with a mintage of 650 its going to do well gimmicky or no 

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

Interesting opinion. I take entirely the opposite view.

Other than the 2017 proof, all the modern day issues have been utterly contrived and pointless IMO.

I see more collectable value in this coin than all the pointless Royal anniversaries and birthday issues the Mint has spewed out recently.

each to his own.

I don't touch the birthday or wedding ones either, though no doubt perhaps wiser (?) folk than me do (?). Unique Pistrucci anniversary SotD, unique Sapphire Coronation (never to be repeated in our grandkids history at least probably) of the current monarch, and to a lesser extent unique Piedforts of a monarch who may not reign much longer, yes please!

Also, I thought:

1) You are not a modern Sov collector.

2) You already said on this thread you don't like the BU version at all.

Maybe I have mixed you up with someone else? :P If so I apologise in advance :)

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

1) You are not a modern Sov collector.

2) You already said on this thread you don't like the BU version at all.

Maybe I have mixed you up with someone else? :P If so I apologise in advance :)

1) I do collect some

2)No, you're right, I have said that. However, I see a lot of value in this issue and thought it would be a good opportunity to have a matte BU in my collection. If I didn't like it, I could always sell it😉

7 minutes ago, Kman said:

A full sovereign issued by the RM is a full sovereign,  there's enough sov collectors who want everything, gimmicky or not

historically how many full unique sovereigns have a mintage as low as 650? 

They could do a special McDonald's SOTD with the queen wearing Ronald's clown nose and the arch behind the dragon, if it's a unique sovereign from RM with a mintage of 650 its going to do well gimmicky or no 

I would buy 10 of the McDonald’s ones to be fair. They will seriously go up in value 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

12 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

When you put it that way, I would have to lend some support. However, "small profit" does not apply in this case with their obvious profiteering.

You do seem to know a lot about the CC these days Russell 😉

As you know CC are my sponsor for the youtube videos so I get to talk a lot and hear the tales of woe and the purrs of hapiness. It seems a challenging business from what I hear.

Archived