• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2019 matt finish sovereign

Goldmick

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, westminstrel said:

That is true. But it’s just the fact that the Sovereign seems to me to be less iconic because of the numerous variations that are deliberately being thought up every year now. 

Today the mantra of the kids in marketing seems to be “varieties” – and this seems to be the case in many walks of life (in the philatelic world more and more stamps are being issued but less and less stamps are actually being used on a daily basis).  In the area of collectables the marketing assumption seems to be that collectors will want examples of everything so that their collections are “complete”.  It would seem that the short term generation of revenues appears to be being put before the long term development of the market. 

I do fear that the people developing this strategy of “varieties” have little understanding of the nature of the products (i.e. they are not collectors themselves) and even less understanding of the people that are buying them.

Will this coin be a future money maker, probably not. 

Is it a nice alternative of a typical sovereign, yes i think it is. 

I've had a good look at mine under a loupe and the strike is not particularly strong, perhaps part of the "matt" finish required but the coin itself looked spotless, so the quality is up there for sure which is nice.

It comes with a premium somewhere between bullion and proof, and for many that will put them off perhaps as its not a shiny proof coin. For me, I like the variety's and this to me seemed like a nice variety to have for my own collection, not something to worry about flipping for money any time soon.

They do the same kinda thing with the britannias in silver... Bullion, BU and Proof, so perhaps this is now what they will do with sovereigns every year (even the packaging is similar to that of a BU britannia). Not sure if this happens every year if its going to be a good thing or not, but the coin itself is a nice finish I think and for me the premium is ok for me for a single purchase now and again.

Understandably getting overwhelmed with all of the Sovereign varieties lately...and seemingly nothing special from a historical perspective to drive these varieties for 2019, other than the proof and BU versions.

However, got to hand it to The Royal Mint in coming up with a little uniqueness of a bygone era with the Matt coinage. The last year of a more common, still scarce, Matt Proof was 1902. Yes, I know, the 2019 are Matt BU, but still. All other years of Matt Proof Sovs are extremely rare, all the way to the last minted year for a Matt Proof in 1965. 

Also true, the 20,000 “limited presentation” mintage is a little off putting, but still, I think it is an attractive variety not seen in post-decimalization. 

And besides...maybe now I can finally take a decent photo of a Gold Sovereign without having to get frustrated over the lighting!😃

1 minute ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Understandably getting overwhelmed with all of the Sovereign varieties lately...and seemingly nothing special from a historical perspective to drive these varieties for 2019, other than the proof and BU versions.

However, got to hand it to The Royal Mint in coming up with a little uniqueness of a bygone era with the Matt coinage. The last year of a more common, still scarce, Matt Proof was 1902. Yes, I know, the 2019 are Matt BU, but still. All other years of Matt Proof Sovs are extremely rare, all the way to the last minted year for a Matt Proof in 1965. 

Also true, the 20,000 “limited presentation” mintage is a little off putting, but still, I think it is an attractive variety not seen in post-decimalization. 

And besides...maybe now I can finally take a decent photo of a Gold Sovereign without having to get frustrated over the lighting!😃

Very true mate

Steve@sovereign hit nail on head:

Look carefully at the reverse - very poorly executed in detail & George looks almost comedic (or maybe a dunce?). I really don't see the appeal - I like the 1902 matte proof golds, excepting the dam- wiping evidently done at the mint, so got those.

I have seen recently on ebay the 1902 half sovs going for a tick under 400 quid. I'd much prefer one of those!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm just now seeing this, late to the party

What do you guys think about the Victoria celebration one being released later this month?

I thought it seemed very special being matt and having the victoria mark, but now I see they've already done a matt one! lol so that's one unique thing taken away already

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

On 12/05/2019 at 11:09, Kman said:

I'm just now seeing this, late to the party

What do you guys think about the Victoria celebration one being released later this month?

I thought it seemed very special being matt and having the victoria mark, but now I see they've already done a matt one! lol so that's one unique thing taken away already

being a strike on the day it will sell out in seconds i would guess. I have a matt sov, its a very nice finish. 

image.png.e312b91ff9ed1d44319d3782927b04ad.png

2 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

The SOTD Victoria Sovereign will be my first EVER sovereign purchase....just worried about opening Pandora’s box now....what will this lead to?

😂 it can lead to eternal bliss.........or damnation !

Be warned.

In all fairness i only buy standard sovereigns myself. 

I've not got the patience or funds to play the sov' game. 

4 hours ago, Kookaburracollector said:

The SOTD Victoria Sovereign will be my first EVER sovereign purchase....just worried about opening Pandora’s box now....what will this lead to?

oh dear god.... say goodbye to all your money!

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 07:37, Kookaburracollector said:

more bills 😋 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

On 14/02/2019 at 13:10, Oldun said:

Yes, that was my initial feeling when I saw it....20,000 is a big mintage for such a coin....unlikely to sell all of them at that premium.

My father just bought one of these. Think he was really impressed but I’m not sure if I’m keen on the finish, what’s people thoughts? 

6 hours ago, Collectorharrison said:

My father just bought one of these. Think he was really impressed but I’m not sure if I’m keen on the finish, what’s people thoughts? 

If you are a collector, as your name implies, you won't have a choice... 

In the meantime, I wonder what finish will be introduced next. Reverse Proof comes to my mind 🤔

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

"Registration is now closed. An email will be sent to all that registered with details of how to buy this exclusive sovereign"

I didn't sign up, I just assumed it would just be released at 9am 

anyone want to help me with the details? 😀 thanks 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

48 minutes ago, Kman said:

"Registration is now closed. An email will be sent to all that registered with details of how to buy this exclusive sovereign"

I didn't sign up, I just assumed it would just be released at 9am 

anyone want to help me with the details? 😀 thanks 

I suspect the email will just tell those who registered to go to the RM site on the release date and order online along with everyone else... I think registering is just a great way to get email addresses!

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

Archived