• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Our council has a dept. for this, I think a "pot hole" for them is 4cm deep by 30cm wide as a rough guide (likely to be different from council to council).  I mangled a rear wheel on my  push bike on a pot hole (covered by rain water) and they paid that cost of repair, so yes worth the effort as there isn't too much involved.

Cheers

DK

I went on the Councils website to check someone had reported it previously, so mine was really straight forward. If it hasn't been reported I assume it will be harder to prove, but it is worth doing, if its that bad I am sure other people suffered damage too.

I believe you can make a claim provided you have evidence.
Best suggestion is to take a photograph of the pothole and if possible see if it has previously been advised to the council.
Damaging a tyre or wheel is bad enough but the deeper potholes, especially at night, can be fatal to 2-wheel users of the road.
No excuse for councils not repairing bad holes because they have all been handed over money from the government to deal with this problem, but some councils are not spending it in order to hold back & pay for some other stuff in the future.

Yes you can just be sure to take plenty of photos of said pothole and the damage to your car.and afew pics of the whole road with a road sign or something to prove it's the same road etc etc.

take a tape measure with you too,and photo the measurements of the hole etc.

My local council doesn't let anyone claim on pothole damage unless they are already aware of the offending pothole. If a pothole has just appeared, you can't claim. Their website have a pothole reporting page and they have up to four days to fix it from the first report, after that a claim would be valid.

I found this out after I wrecked a wheel bearing & front link after hitting a crater near where I live last year. 

Couple of years ago I went over a water drain cover which snapped off my Cat Convertor. I first went through the Council who then said it was down to the water company (Seven Trent)

I sent pictures of the drain, damage to my car, invoice to have fixed etc. It took a few months for the answer, NO!!!

They said because the drain wasnt raised as an issue before the damage, there was no way they could have known about it. They then said if I wanted to escalate, I could.

In the end, I couldnt be bothered just for the sake of £300.

Its cheaper for councils to pay compensation than it is to repair the holes!! 

Absolutely appalling state of the roads where I live, seen better quality roads in third world countries.

Where does the revenue from Vehicle Tax actually go, other than building "smart motorways".....

14 hours ago, Uksilverstackers said:

Its cheaper for councils to pay compensation than it is to repair the holes!! 

Absolutely appalling state of the roads where I live, seen better quality roads in third world countries.

Where does the revenue from Vehicle Tax actually go, other than building "smart motorways".....

I agree, this is my main moan when I'm out driving. My car has lowered, stiffer suspension as standard so it look like I'm being thrown about sometimes.

This comes to mind... 😂

Doesnt help when they dig up the road within a month of laying it.

On 13 February 2019 at 19:00, Augustus1 said:

That article is over 4 years old, and the situation has got progressively worse since....

you are quite right, I never noticed that , it did come up only last week when I read it, it must have as my memory is not that good to remember a article from 4 years ago. I barely remember what I had for breakfast yesterday nowadays :D, but like you say roads/ etc  aint got any better and councils/  insurers aint got any better at paying out, that I do know working as a insurance engineer / assessor.(not for councils :))

dean.m

Dont know about anyone else, but if .GOV.UK said it would consider increasing the following by a small percentage and was fully accountable that the revenue generated was actually going to be 100% allocated to the cause, to get some tangible improvement going, maybe, just maybe, there would be some interest....

Vehicle Excise Duty  - for Repairing Pot holes - (2 wheels/Disabled Exempt).

Lorry Tax much bigger % and mainly motorway/carriageway repairs.

It will all get much worse if the situation is allowed to continue as is.

Edit: £5 Billion a year!!!  is a lot of road tax collected, anyone know if this is audited?

All you need to know about Vehicle Excise Duty....

Edited by Uksilverstackers

On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:09, sovereignsteve said:

anyone know anything about whether you can claim from the council for damage caused by potholes, or whether it's worth the effort?

thanks

Not worth the effort.  I wouldn't piss the council off if I were you.

What you need are some people like those that fixed the country after the war.  They did such a good job and in record breaking time, it's a shame their efforts were never rewarded with a TV programme.  All I see on TV is the guys that flew the planes.    

Edited by RoughDog

Good comment I found that sums up why pot holes are not repaired from VED  funding, as Vehicle Excise Duty is not called Road Tax anymore, therefore it is a tax to use a vehicle.

"The VED funds do not go directly to the upkeep of the road network, they go into the exchequer with all the other tax. No hypothecation, no classification. 
Customs and EXCISE.
Vehicle EXCISE duty"

Edited by Uksilverstackers