• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

vand

Is Travel all its cracked up to be?

Whenever people talk about spending money on things that are actually worth it, the always seem to talk about travel. You know. Going different places, seeing different cultures etc etc.

Really?

IMO most of its an over-rated pain in the a$s. I know I'm just an grumpy old man these days, but whenever I'm away I actually wish I back home. I dislike ("hate" is a strong term) nearly everything about travel - the getting up early, the packing, the trips to the airport, the airport, the constant queuing and waiting, the way you're treated cattle, the flight, the lack of sleep, the jetlag, oh, and the money it costs.. then when you eventually get there, as I said, I'm usually wishing that I was back home. Don't get me wrong, some places in the world are nice.. but you know that from the postcards, it's not like some massive reveal.

I love travelling, especially a few years ago, cheap flights, hostels...besides always went out so wasn't bothered about hostels..

Since I have been with my GF, she likes to stay in 'NICEEEE' hotels...now that's a pain! lol (She's stayed in most of the world's expensive hotels - rich father)...I get it but sometimes I prefer to see the other side of 'Nice'...

Thus I do love travelling to the 'poorer' countries, Thailand, Vietnam, India etc as I find people so much friendlier and life is so much simpler - something we could take away and introduce into the UK! Not everything is about working 9-5 and paying lots of bills! Life (travelling) is about enjoying your life and appreciating what you have, the people around you, even the neighbours and people in town seem to be so much friendlier.

You don't even need to go to poorer countries to learn new life experience, Japan was an eye-opener and probably the best place I have travelled to but as you know it wasn't cheap but I probably spend £1.5k in 2 weeks including flights, bullet train, hotels/hostels/SHUTTLE HOTELS!!!, food & drinks, spending money etc so wasn't bad!

In regards to jetlags, I never quite understood it, never got it, but that's probably because I stay up all hours! lol

Nooo i love it! I went to 6 different countries last year (7 if you include the vatican). And all over this country on various trips which were great.

I spent a good few years with my head purely focused on work and not much else and its a relief and a release to be able to go and experience something new.

If thats how you feel about travel id say just try something/somehwere new! Its not all about sandy beaches OR traipsing around some boring foreign museum!

Each to their own though!

I also suffer from the need for some 5 star luxury when i go away. Not all the time but tend to either go all out on a proper 5 star or cheap and cheerful novotel or something if its in a city. Theres too many pretenders when it comes to hotels that want to charge top wack but don’t deliver. Cheap and cheerful you know what your getting - same with the top notch places.

Edited by AuricGoldfinger

Love travelling , as @AuricGoldfinger says don't be sucked in to museums and other supposed must see places when you get there if that's not what interests you.  Although I'm now of a age where I also like a nice hotel when abroad I try to stay away from tourists - drink in locals bars , eat in locals restuarants and travel like locals do . I avoid Irish bars and organised tours like the plague.

I hear what you saying.  Not been travelling much myself but the same things can be said for most things. 

People say the same enthusiastic things about Christmas parties, birthday parties, Glastonbury, sky diving, cruises.  It only means they enjoyed it, unless they were lying, in which case ….. 😏

My motto is, do what you enjoy not what other people enjoy.  The two are not equal.

Don’t get me started on travelling... ok, you have got me started!

The last time I travelled I ended up with two tickets each way on the same flight.  Because of my bad back (don’t get me started on my back...) I needed a seat with extra space, so I tried to book it on line but I could not remember my password with the airline and so I was not able to check out.  At this point I rang them up and I booked a basic seat but I was told if I wanted to upgrade I had to log on and change it and pay extra – now given that my initial problem was caused by not being able to log on, I was in a dilemma.  Anyway I paid, in the hope that eventually I would be able to log on to the site.  It was only when I put the phone down I realised I had not been given a reference number, and so even if I was able to log on, I would not be able to make alterations because of no reference number.  Anyway, after another half an hour of trying to reset my password, I eventually managed to log on and book a premium seat, but as I had no details of the seat I had booked over the phone, I could not upgrade and so I pay the whole amount – I never did find/receive details of the seat I booked over the phone.

Inevitably the journey to the airport seems to start at 3am... if the taxi arrives (don’t get me started on taxi drivers...).  And what are the chances of the M1 or M25 being closed as I try to make my way to Heathrow or Gatwick?

After a mind numbing couple of hours waiting in the airport, it is time for the flight (if it is on time).  On a flight from Los Angeles to Auckland, I sat by the window in order to get my first glimpse of the Pacific Ocean – forgetting that the flight was at night and so nothing could be seen.  But the worst part was the other two people in the row were asleep and so I was unable to get up and stretch my legs.  This was the last time I had a window seat and explains why I am so keen to get a seat with extra leg room.

In Hong Kong the lock on my suitcase got caught up in the luggage carousel, so as it came round and I tried lifting it, I merely ended up following the suitcase round and barging people out of the way.  Eventually the carousel had to be stopped and the suitcase was unceremoniously ripped off - getting badly damaged in the process.

And then the room in which you are going to stay – it may be small, have no soundproofing, and the television may or may not work.  It is amazing how much blood comes out of a mosquito when you squash it.

My criteria for going somewhere is, do they serve steaks?  This does seem to work as I have never had a bad stomach when travelling.  I did once go to China, with the proviso that I did not have to eat anything I did not want to.  I lived off coffee and Haagen-Dazs ice creams.  I even found a McDonalds in Shanghai, but then brought the whole place to a halt as I wanted a plain hamburger – which I did eventually manage to get.

Then just as you get back home, you often get a really bad cold – and people think travelling is enjoyable!

Some of my feelings about travelling are neatly summed up in the “Cheap Flights” music video I placed in the “taste in music” thread.

I used to love it, me and the missus have been all over the world and enjoyed every minute.

However, don't know if it's something to do with getting older, but these days it's losing it's gloss for all the reasons given by the OP. It's mainly the travel , love it when you get there but I find travelling in the company of most people you come across these days to be particularly unpleasant, and airports are so much busier now.

Too many tourists (even me!), especially in the seluded idyllic locations, is what puts me off the most!

They even had to close off a famous beach in Thailand due to the amount of tourists impacting the environment, mainly the sea beds (corals)..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/03/thailand-bay-made-famous-by-the-beach-closed-indefinitely

20 minutes ago, AlphaBeast said:

Too many tourists (even me!), especially in the seluded idyllic locations, is what puts me off the most!

They even had to close off a famous beach in Thailand due to the amount of tourists impacting the environment, mainly the sea beds (corals)..

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/03/thailand-bay-made-famous-by-the-beach-closed-indefinitely

Went to Cathedral Cove on the Coromandel, used in one of the Narnia films and that wasn't crowded, pretty much empty actually. Although I suppose nothing can compete with de Caprio😀

Beautiful place.

I want to go back to Venice but the stories of the overcrowding now are putting me off.

I love travelling though not quite as much as I used to. I love to be somewhere I've not been before and see something different. The times I've been able to travel the most I feel I've also grown the most. I do certainly agree that the actual moving to the destination area or country can be a pain and it has put me off some trips in recent years. Another thing which has very much put me off is the increase in the Instagram tourists. I am someone that seeks out quiet, serene and beautiful places where I can just be there enjoying a moment. So many places are being ruined now though in the pursuit of the perfect selfie and its hard to watch.

I have lived in the UK now for 10 years and I am still enjoying travelling around here. When I first moved over I made a list of places I wanted to visit and as the years have gone by other place names have been added to that list. I love nothing more than taking a couple weeks off work in summer, throwing the panniers on the motorbike, taking out the old school map, planning a route with various stops and just exploring. It is so freeing and even here within this relatively small island there is such diversity and so many amazing things to see and do. I love it.

Wow, Cathedral Cove on the Coromandel looks amazing! The Beach was a cool film, was lucky to go to Phi Phi Islands for a few days, beautiful but then it was full of tourists and this was like 15 years ago! Cannot imagine how it was in the last few years especially with the travel bug and cheap flights that are on offer these days!

Pretty sad to see the state of affairs in Venice, the overcrowding and the flooding! Love to go but I don't want to drown lol

44 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Went to Cathedral Cove on the Coromandel, used in one of the Narnia films and that wasn't crowded, pretty much empty actually. Although I suppose nothing can compete with de Caprio😀

Beautiful place.

I want to go back to Venice but the stories of the overcrowding now are putting me off.

Edited by AlphaBeast

The UK is definitely under-rated for travelling. Recommend any nice areas? 

26 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I love travelling though not quite as much as I used to. I love to be somewhere I've not been before and see something different. The times I've been able to travel the most I feel I've also grown the most. I do certainly agree that the actual moving to the destination area or country can be a pain and it has put me off some trips in recent years. Another thing which has very much put me off is the increase in the Instagram tourists. I am someone that seeks out quiet, serene and beautiful places where I can just be there enjoying a moment. So many places are being ruined now though in the pursuit of the perfect selfie and its hard to watch.

I have lived in the UK now for 10 years and I am still enjoying travelling around here. When I first moved over I made a list of places I wanted to visit and as the years have gone by other place names have been added to that list. I love nothing more than taking a couple weeks off work in summer, throwing the panniers on the motorbike, taking out the old school map, planning a route with various stops and just exploring. It is so freeing and even here within this relatively small island there is such diversity and so many amazing things to see and do. I love it.

8 minutes ago, AlphaBeast said:

The UK is definitely under-rated for travelling. Recommend any nice areas? 

Pembrokeshire! I think it is often overlooked by folks as most I know who have gone on holiday to Wales have gone to North Wales (Snowdonia usually) and thats it. Pembrokeshire features some breathtakingly beautiful rugged coastline and tends to be quite quiet most of the year outside of the summer months. I do my best to get out there once a year for a week or two usually either in October or March. The weather can be iffy but that is par for the course in most of the UK. My favourite place in Pembrokeshire is St David's Head. If you are in to walks there is a pretty unbeatable one for breathtaking scenery that starts and ends at Whitesands Bay and basically takes you around the prominent mountain or hill there - Carn Llidi. Here are a few pictures from the last time I did that walk. 

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

Wow! Lovely images! I previously heard great things about Pembrokeshire but totally forgot about it until you mentioned it. Looks like such a nice, calm, serene place to stay for a few days! Thanks for giving a brief tour of the places in P'Shire to visit. Think you have given me the location of my next 'travel' destination! 😉

11 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Pembrokeshire! I think it is often overlooked by folks as most I know who have gone on holiday to Wales have gone to North Wales (Snowdonia usually) and thats it. Pembrokeshire features some breathtakingly beautiful rugged coastline and tends to be quite quiet most of the year outside of the summer months. I do my best to get out there once a year for a week or two usually either in October or March. The weather can be iffy but that is par for the course in most of the UK. My favourite place in Pembrokeshire is St David's Head. If you are in to walks there is a pretty unbeatable one for breathtaking scenery that starts and ends at Whitesands Bay and basically takes you around the prominent mountain or hill there - Carn Llidi. Here are a few pictures from the last time I did that walk. 

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

18 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

Sssshhhhh ! Don't go telling everyone ! I go down there a couple  of times a year , and in the last few years I've noticed it getting a bit busier and harder to book nice properties.

It's where I want to retire to .I love it down there although I will say the towns are terrible holes as there is bugger all work around. The beaches are out of this world and out of season have next to noone on them so ideal for giving the dogs a good run

It is fabulous if you can take time off to do it and in style.  I collects over two million Avios over the last 10 years and used it to pay for hotels (not flights) for my family on a 3 month round the world trip. 

Travel with my family was a pleasure and quite u like the bike jetting and working I have done for the last 15 years.  

My advice is to go to places you would enjoy, don’t go too fast and hire cars to get around where you can. Plus, never go anywhere at peak season - it’s not the cost that’s annoying it’s too many people!

Came back from an amazing holiday In Dubai/India in middle of January to Manchester and I thought I had entered an ice age. My wife immediately told me that I needed to find another job in warmer part of the world :).

Yes in Dubai it was our 1st time there we did all tourist stuff, but India more than just traveling as we have family there. Just some photos from Dubai below...

6.thumb.JPG.f9ae7a7c4aafdc27fa7309c1ebe33434.JPG5.thumb.JPG.637701e09b0a0ea1ed3e7b8c46f560f1.JPG4.thumb.JPG.7e184039947d1487253b29712bd1c7cc.JPG3.thumb.JPG.e80c63434a1aa7eeb53b313482abf38e.JPG2.thumb.JPG.86c8eb486dc16a1e08fffec51044b9f1.JPG1.thumb.JPG.2a0b7a24f2d82caa2c638f7e90f08c97.JPG

6 hours ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Any gold deals to be had in dubai?

I had plans to visit Dubai Gold Souk before we left but unfortunately the opportunity did not pan out so never got to see any gold 😔. Next time...... Some stackers on YouTube visited Dubai and purchased Gold and reviewed the process.

Huge difference between holidays and travelling in imho. Holidays are just that, time constrained.Travel for me it to go independently, eat and drink where the locals do, take local transport, avoid 'tourist traps' like the plague and do your own thing.

Always amuses  me to look at travel brochures that show the hotel and swimming pool,  mostly concrete jungles that all look the same - as if that is the most important part of the holiday. Guess for many it is. But the great British exodus to warm destinations for 2 weeks each year fill me with dread. Never been on one and no intention of starting.

Travelling is getting to grips with the locals and their culture, when in Rome....   

And getting by without speaking a word of their language or being able to read their written word.

Smiles go a long way.