• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Hugo

Is platinum worth it

Advantage is that Platinum doesn't tarnish.

There is a smaller market for platinum bullion though. And unfortunately in the UK it has VAT on it, which is why most people in the UK end up investing in gold. 

If you resell direct to the market (i.e. via the forum here) then the VAT won't really affect you that much as you should be able to sell for a good price and get some of that back as the buyer would have to pay VAT anyway if they were to buy elsewhere. (this is providing there is demand for it)

If you were selling back to a dealer though, they would pay much less, because of the VAT.

Not sure of the tax in other countries on platinum bullion. Hopefully other members from different countries can add some info here about that if they know.

There have been similar questions on this forum so no point in duplicating everything again.
Platinum used to be more precious than gold and some will state that it is currently undervalued.
I started buying the one ounce Platinum Queens Beasts from GS.be to avoid the full 20% VAT and when I last looked they were all sold out.
To me that suggests good demand from buyers.

I've been fascinated by the idea of buying some platinum for almost a year now, and have spent quite a bit of time tracking and studying its price during that time, read most of the posts on the SF about this metal, spoken to a few members who have more experience than I do, and after all this I finally decided to buy...…..

a 1/10th ounce Platinum Britannia in the latest Group Order - hardly makes me a "Big Spender", does it! :rolleyes:

Where platinum does seem like a logical sense to me is for collectors. Personally I like the look of silver more than gold, but worried (or maybe just paranoid) that silver may eventually tarnish or milk spots may appear. Platinum solves that nicely, as although not as reflective as silver, it will never tarnish.

Also to note, it is more dense than gold. 

it is unbelievable that Platinum is going to break the 780 760 750 700 etc

we can always wait and see

it keep staying below 800, so it is a long term bear market rebounds many times

600 would be next

there is no driver, it is just a matter of time to hit the rock bottom

Platinum is a buy in my opinion. VAT is an issue for most precious metals excluding gold but it's even a bigger problem when you start looking at anything beyond silver. By comparison there just isn't as much options.

On here you can buy all sorts of silver from forum members but the sale of platinum is really scarce it seems and I really don't want to pay VAT so then I've basically got my options limited to VAT free european dealers that will only sell it in coin form. I'm not crazy about coins to be honest I prefer bullion shape but it seems I can't be choosey when it comes to platinum.

I see some americans selling platinum at a good price but it's a risk as customs will likely slap on the VAT when it enters the country. What a pain VAT is! I'd like a good 1/2 o or 1 oz platinum Pamp or Valcambi bar without paying over the odds.

At the moment from Europe 1 oz platinum coins are as cheap as 1oz of gold in nominal terms on the premium which is nice, because the platinum price is so low (or gold is so high). I think bars cost more because the tax is different to coins, hence why a 1 kilo silver 'coin bar' is cheaper from the EU than a kilo melator. The same will apply to platinum, its low premium coins or you pay for the bar. An ounce is an ounce when you are investing in the metal though, it shouldn't matter really. 

The US have much better markets for metals. We can but look on with envy.