• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

I see they are promoting a Gruffalo 50p now what seems like only weeks after the Sherlock Holmes one was released, it does feel like the RM is booting the arse out of getting over a tenner out of us for a 50p coin.

The Gruffalo will be released on 19th Feb, Most likely be £60 for a Silver Proof Coloured 50p, Mintage Figures are Key, The RM seems to have reduced Mintage on its releases this year. Most likely there will be a BU Version in RM Packaging for £12.99. We will see next Tuesday, at least the RM have give notice regarding the Release of the Gruffalo Coins as Requested by collectors after the New Kew Gardens Debacle.

3 hours ago, GrahamDiamond said:

The Gruffalo will be released on 19th Feb, Most likely be £60 for a Silver Proof Coloured 50p, Mintage Figures are Key, The RM seems to have reduced Mintage on its releases this year. Most likely there will be a BU Version in RM Packaging for £12.99. We will see next Tuesday, at least the RM have give notice regarding the Release of the Gruffalo Coins as Requested by collectors after the New Kew Gardens Debacle.

timing was terrible last time to,putting them sets up for sale at 11am when most people are at work.

1 hour ago, blackadder said:

timing was terrible last time to,putting them sets up for sale at 11am when most people are at work.

Maybe the timing was deliberate after the RM was besieged with phone calls about the Snowman coin, thanks to their own confusion regarding what was still available and in what colour box.  And what about the issue of just 75 gold 50p box sets?  How many of those sets were available to the public after they made sure rip off coin companies got what they wanted first?

14 hours ago, GoodAsGold said:

Maybe the timing was deliberate after the RM was besieged with phone calls about the Snowman coin, thanks to their own confusion regarding what was still available and in what colour box.  And what about the issue of just 75 gold 50p box sets?  How many of those sets were available to the public after they made sure rip off coin companies got what they wanted first?

Indeed,i'm just saying hope they add them to the site early on the 19th so i don't miss out again.But i'm sure it will be a cluster**** :) 

7 hours ago, blackadder said:

Indeed,i'm just saying hope they add them to the site early on the 19th so i don't miss out again.But i'm sure it will be a cluster**** :) 

Coloured coins aren't for me but I wish yourself @blackadder and the rest of the forum good luck with the forthcoming release 👍

Any tips on buying from The Royal Mint?

I want to get some Gruffalo coinage and have read it can be a bit of a bunfight to actually get anything if a coin issue is popular. I have registered with The Mint so have an account set up ready to go.

Should I stay up till midnight the night before and stuff a load in my basket then, or do I have to wait for the doors to open at 9am?

Plus..I can’t find any information on what is going to be on sale and mintages!! I am hoping for a silver proof set with the Gruffalo, mouse snake etc..that would be nice!

In the past coins were listed at midnight but the recent 50p sets and the Britannia went on in the morning.  

As we know the date it could be worth checking at midnight then going back to sleep.

My hunch on this one is that there were be plenty to go around.

50 minutes ago, Oldun said:

What on god’s earth is a Gruffalo ? I definitely missed that kids’ show.....must be getting old.....😂

It is a phenomonally succesful children's book by Julia Donaldson, which has morphed into an even more succesful merchandise brand. As the father of an 8-year old daughter (just too old for the Gruffalo now), I can vouch for the effectiveness of the marketing.

I’m hoping I can get one of these, but will be flying long haul at midnight and due to land at 9:00am UK time, so might be touch and go.  I suspect mintage nos will be in between the Paddington and the snowman.  They have been asking for expressions on interest for months so they have a pretty good view of demand.  

5 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

@Kookaburracollector I see there is a countdown timer now which would be midnight.   

But then you never know...it could just be a countdown timer to the release date and then they appear on the site nine hours later.

We are talking about the Royal Mint here.

https://www.royalmint.com/register-interest/gruffalo/

Think it's 2 am by my calculation🤔

But there again my brain is old!

51 minutes ago, Kookaburracollector said:

Think you might be hungover matey!

Have a sit down, take a couple of ibuprofen, maybe have a nap 💤 ...then try again later on..

Best wishes

No not hungover just my eyes I think.

when I looked it was +13 hours, I was reading that as 15 doh!

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

So everyone fromTSF will be online at midnight?😀

Just for old codgers like me, what day are we talking about?😉

Monday evening is the late night. As to when we can buy is another question@HelpingHands alluded to this earlier.

It could be a late night for no reward, as the shop might not open until 0900.

Hopefully it won’t go mad, and I get what I want, it it does and I get nothing, then I will be buying a kilo of silver from MickD.Either way I’m happy😃 !

I just do not understand why people do not place an order with a reliable dealer.  You might even get the coin at below the Royal Mint's issue price and the quality will be assured.  It would also mean that you would not have to stop up all night or take a day off work!