• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

sg86

Fake sovereign, anyway to test approx gold content at home?

Take a look at the pictures of two 1920-P sovereigns, one fake and one genuine, an ok copy.

From what I've read a lot of the better copies actually have a high gold content, almost 22ct. Is there anyway I can test this at home? The dims are fine and the weight ūüė≤

Looking at some of the amazing copies on @drakesterling 's website it makes me want to check more closely in future!

DSC08029.thumb.JPG.6fe753e55f4fd9b69fab3d0a8b58523a.JPG

DSC08034.thumb.JPG.9ec61ebdd6c65516df468c45e7e7e317.JPG

DSC08031.thumb.JPG.a666c38315e7078cb25672d41e8ae587.JPG

DSC08037.thumb.JPG.7b768c79281a41a705a4b9b4659894d4.JPG

Edited by sg86

Yea i have no doubt they exist, I've had a few that were 22ct confirmed by HGM some time ago

However the XRF machine he mentioned I got a quote for as i say at 12k so no good, is specific gravity accurate enough in that will it reveal what metal is it? 

20 minutes ago, mr-dead said:

found this but you would need to know what alloy metals are in the coin

5-TableIII-1.png

Useful thanks, I think it's silver so will do the test tonight and report back

4 hours ago, sg86 said:

Yea i have no doubt they exist, I've had a few that were 22ct confirmed by HGM some time ago

However the XRF machine he mentioned I got a quote for as i say at 12k so no good, is specific gravity accurate enough in that will it reveal what metal is it? 

Of the ones I've seen and had tested, and ones I've read and heard about; if it's a good quality fake, it's size and weight are right (and a lot of them are), you can be almost certain the alloy will be correst at around 22ct. Only way it could be way out is if there is some tungsten involved and that's not likely on such a small coin.

So I need new scales,  they should be arriving today! but current findings are:

Real Sov:

Weight - 8.1g

Weight in water - 0.4g

SG - 20.25

Fake Sov:

Weight - 8.2g

Weight in water - 0.5g

SG - 16.4

Based on the table below and my dodgy scales I'd say it could be 18ct, will only have a much better idea when I can get 0.01 weights and accurate!

sg-07-density-table.jpg

1 hour ago, sg86 said:

So I need new scales,  they should be arriving today! but current findings are:

Real Sov:

Weight - 8.1g

Weight in water - 0.4g

SG - 20.25

Fake Sov:

Weight - 8.2g

Weight in water - 0.5g

SG - 16.4

surely the size can't be right at that density?

it shouldn't weigh more than a real one either, i always use proof sovs as a yardstick, an old one should weigh noticeably less, depending on how circulated it looks.

you should be able to tell this even with poor quality scales.

A have one   D 22.2mm    W 7.93 g   sg 16.4   bought long time ago, a guess your diameter  must be different 

11 minutes ago, eddi said:

A have one   D 22.2mm    W 7.93 g   sg 16.4   bought long time ago, a guess your diameter  must be different 

Is the D 22.2mm a Sydney sovereign?  A number of these have been reported.  If so, what year is it?

7 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

surely the size can't be right at that density?

it shouldn't weigh more than a real one either, i always use proof sovs as a yardstick, an old one should weigh noticeably less, depending on how circulated it looks.

you should be able to tell this even with poor quality scales.

When I said poor scales I meant they must be way out of calibration but seems not too far off. 

Final results are:

Real - 8.01g, 0.47 in water and 17.042 SG

Fake - 8.04g, 0.48 in water and 16.75 SG

I did the test with a. 999 1oz britannia and it came back 19.11 SG

I weighed 20+ sovs on the scales and they ranged from. 7.93 to 8.05, the britannia was also 31.35

End result is that its likely 20ct, so not far off, anyone think this could be majorly wrong or I'm missing something?