• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

So, got my car insurance renewal quote through the other day. For some reason they actually want to increase it by 10% despite it meaning I'll have +1yr no claims.

A quick phone call later and I've "negotiated" a 20% discount. 

Moral: don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

My best insurance quote was on thundercat motorbike when I was 21 (22 years ago)

Bought it new so had 1yr free insurance, the renewal came through and they wanted just over £3.5k (in the old days when £3.5k was quite a chunk of cash lol). 

Safe to say I got it a fair bit cheaper after shopping around.

1 hour ago, mr-dead said:

My best insurance quote was on thundercat motorbike when I was 21 (22 years ago)

Bought it new so had 1yr free insurance, the renewal came through and they wanted just over £3.5k (in the old days when £3.5k was quite a chunk of cash lol). 

Safe to say I got it a fair bit cheaper after shopping around.

That’s quite a chunk of cash these days for us poor people😩😩😩

2 hours ago, vand said:

So, got my car insurance renewal quote through the other day. For some reason they actually want to increase it by 10% despite it meaning I'll have +1yr no claims.

A quick phone call later and I've "negotiated" a 20% discount. 

Moral: don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

You can pretty much always get a better car insurance deal by shopping around. Then ring your insurer and say "so and so will offer me it for £x, will you beat it?" Then leave if they won't. 

Although a couple of years ago, my renewal was cheaper than anything I could find by shopping around. That was odd.

Other tips:

- Get creative with your job title. Don't lie, but there are often different ways of describing the same job (I once knocked a couple of hundred off my insurance by calling myself a househusband instead of unemployed :D ). Use this tool: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/car-insurance-job-picker/

- Get a quote from aviva and direct line etc. They're not on the comparison websites and have been cheaper for me occasionally

- Cashback! Use topcashback.com or similar. Often companies will only pay cashback for new customers, but with car insurance, you should be a new customer of a company fairly often. I saved ~£50 on my car insurance this year by going through cashback

no good being loyal to one company these days, ALWAYS shop around every year come renewal time

The hour or so it may take you GoComparing the meerkats etc, will nearly always guarantee you at least an extra few oz of silver for your stack ! think of it that way ;) 

.........AND BUY IT ! you will always have the memories that the x2 or x3 2019 silver Britannia's were gotten from keeping the cash out the greedy faceless insurance moneychangers

My Jeep is soo over priced for insurance....

Go figure... My Jaguar, Mustang, 300zx,  Last 2 heavily modified and declared.. ie the Mustang and Nissan...…..

ALL cost less FAR LESS than me owning a freaken Jeep!

My insurance went up too... but I quickly phoned another company.... Direct line... Guess what... they were the same company who I was with but under a different name... and I got it for far less.

Insurance companies are a JOKE.

2 minutes ago, jonrms said:

Insurance companies are a JOKE.

Insurance companies rely on the complacency and laziness of joe public who just shrug and go "w'ah, whatever" and pay whatever the renewal says

25 years ago, is fair to just pay up. But with all the web tools to save cash these days at our disposal, anyone who chooses not to use them deserves everything they get

Insurance is not there to protect you but to protect their own interests and their shareholder interests. Insurance is about risk, the best customer they want is someone keeps paying but never makes a claim

51 minutes ago, Paul said:

Insurance companies rely on the complacency and laziness of joe public who just shrug and go "w'ah, whatever" and pay whatever the renewal says

25 years ago, is fair to just pay up. But with all the web tools to save cash these days at our disposal, anyone who chooses not to use them deserves everything they get

Insurance is not there to protect you but to protect their own interests and their shareholder interests. Insurance is about risk, the best customer they want is someone keeps paying but never makes a claim

That's why I bought shares in Aviva. At least it'll be me ripping me off next time :D