• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

i think this is a good benchmark

craig12

ive recently tried to compare what I think is a good buying price per oz for silver as a good deal , and I don't think this is a bad comparison , at akinsons if you go to their 1kg bars and look at the very most bars to purchase you get a price currently of £15.80 , so if you can pick up the odd coin or two ,at the price you would have to buy  50 + 1kg bars to get the same price , not rocket science I know , but I sort of think its a good gauge on a good deal 

3 hours ago, craig12 said:

ive recently tried to compare what I think is a good buying price per oz for silver as a good deal , and I don't think this is a bad comparison , at akinsons if you go to their 1kg bars and look at the very most bars to purchase you get a price currently of £15.80 , so if you can pick up the odd coin or two ,at the price you would have to buy  50 + 1kg bars to get the same price , not rocket science I know , but I sort of think its a good gauge on a good deal 

Is that £15.80 per ounce? 

My basic rule of thumb for whether a silver item is a reasonable price, is I compare it to the price of an average (non-special issue, etc) one ounce silver Eagle. If it has a lower premium than that, then I might seriously consider buying it. Otherwise I might just be better off buying a silver Eagle. (Which I rarely do because I can usually find comparable items for less.)

I do something similar but for a bigger picture I quite like the measure used by YouTuber Belangp. He compares gold and silver to oil (West Texas Intermediate) to find their reasonable price. He compares 1 oz Gold and 63oz Silver to see how many barrels of oil they can buy. Generally they trade between 10 and 25 barrels. Being able to buy 10 barrels is considered cheap; 25 expensive.

By his measure, 1 oz Gold can currently buy 24.9 barrels of oil (expensive). 63oz Silver can buy 18.9 barrels (reasonable).

It is not the be-all-end-all measure, but I find it a useful gauge.

Archived