• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I’m about to start pouring my own bars

JinKesef

5 minutes ago, JinKesef said:

I bought goggles, gloves, and eye protection 

Better to be safe than sorry, you see so many guys now days pouring bare handed with Home made devices & not taking to consideration the safety. May I ask what sort of set up you currently have ? I.e furnace,Oxy torch,propane torch etc....

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

4 minutes ago, 999Ag said:

Come see me for some crystal if you need.

Good luck and be safe! 

@JinKesef seems to be from the states, I believe these lucky folk on most occasions can get PM at spot from their local dealers if not just a few buck unlike us across the pond :( 

A MAN OF FEW WORDS.....

Pouring aluminium years back the mould wasn’t completely dry. It wasn’t pretty!

Before I retired I worked in R&D at an automated foundry, I did the programming. Iron on water was our biggest fear. We ran the slag off in to a water flume with no problems.

Just be careful, wear full PPE.

3 hours ago, StackSellRepeat said:

Better to be safe than sorry, you see so many guys now days pouring bare handed with Home made devices & not taking to consideration the safety. May I ask what sort of set up you currently have ? I.e furnace,Oxy torch,propane torch etc....

I have two small jewelers crucibles, one that can hold 100g and one that can hold 500g, two 2oz graphite molds, 2 map torches, safety equipment I listed, borax, bricks, fire extinguisher, and firebrick.. That’s all I can remember at the moment. I haven’t gotten any punch stamps because I want to get a good feel for it first. Thinking about getting a sand bucket.

3 hours ago, StackSellRepeat said:

@JinKesef seems to be from the states, I believe these lucky folk on most occasions can get PM at spot from their local dealers if not just a few buck unlike us across the pond :( 

I do get generic rounds for spot and tax free if I spend a certain amount of money. 

Added 0 minutes later...
3 hours ago, kimchi said:

And practice your secret handshake.

:ph34r:

I had that down a long time ago lol

Leather is the usual thing but ouch the cost.

Basically anything that stops molten metal long enough for you to get it off. If i was just having a go I would probably use a damp towel just for now

2 hours ago, RoughDog said:

Practice pouring with something that isn't too dangerous like hot water.

I saw what happened to the T-1000.  Looks painful.

I’ve been in a professional kitchen all my life, I’m use to pouring hot stuff

1 hour ago, TonyS said:

Pouring aluminium years back the mould wasn’t completely dry. It wasn’t pretty!

Before I retired I worked in R&D at an automated foundry, I did the programming. Iron on water was our biggest fear. We ran the slag off in to a water flume with no problems.

Just be careful, wear full PPE.

Oh I plan on it. I’ve been watching a lot of videos and reading a lot of articles and blogs about it and they never tell people to have a fire extinguishers around. 

4 minutes ago, bored said:

Leather is the usual thing but ouch the cost.

Basically anything that stops molten metal long enough for you to get it off. If i was just having a go I would probably use a damp towel just for now

I’ll ask my metal worker friend if he has some extra ones, thank you!

Archived