• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I think I want to cry...

NikolaAnne

Edit: Pics Uploaded

Was going though my Nan's jewelry box, as I remember that she had a few coins in there, that could potentially come into my stack rather than staying in the box with her rings, bracelets etc.

I found a 1921 Liberty Silver dollar - but as well a quite heavy tarnish (not unexpected I suppose) it's got what looks like gloss paint on one edge of the rim, and far more distressing, it was turned into a broach with some nasty solder points and a pin on the back.

Is there any hope of a restoration do we think? Or is it now simply bullion value (They are 90% silver yes?) and a sad loss to numismatism  

IMG_20190210_170720.jpg

IMG_20190210_170700.jpg

i would wear it as a brooch in respect of your Nan.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Do you know why your Nan treasured it? If it had a special meaning for her it might make any other considerations unimportant?

I have an 1888 Sov that might be a variety and would probably benefit from conservation but I keep it just as it is because it was a loving gift from my late aunt and uncle.

29 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Do you know why your Nan treasured it? If it had a special meaning for her it might make any other considerations unimportant?

I have an 1888 Sov that might be a variety and would probably benefit from conservation but I keep it just as it is because it was a loving gift from my late aunt and uncle.

Not a clue, all of her stuff is 9ct gold, she also has a 1958 Sovereign on one of her necklaces and a loose Churchill crown in there. 

I don't remember ever seeing her wearing it... I don't think she ever went to the States either, although I know my Granddad did visit the US, as part of his laying undersea transatlantic communication cables when they were both "young adults", so he might have brought it back for her. 

35 minutes ago, sixgun said:

i would wear it as a brooch in respect of your Nan.

If I did that, I'd want to get the paint off as a minimum... it's a very ugly off beige colour.

But I'm not really a broach person.  That's and my Nan knows I love her, where ever her spirit is.

34 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Out of curiosity is it a Morgan or a peace dollar? (Does liberty look like a punk/is the eagle only carrying olives above the word "peace"?)

I'll put in a pic later. Can't remember now 🙂 
She's just a big head facing left, if that helps...
Bit like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/One-Dollar-E-Pluribus-Unum-1921-USA-Coin-Silver-38-gr-/192578215856

40 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

put them into acetone ( maybe over night ) with a paper lid , most dirt/ paint/ plastic  should lift 

Thank you. And I suppose that at this age/wear, using a cotton bud lightly after soaking probably not too much of an issue? She's not a proof or anything I don't think - and the ugly solders aren't doing it any favours at all if the coin were in any way special.

1 minute ago, NikolaAnne said:

Thank you. And I suppose that at this age/wear, using a cotton bud lightly after soaking probably not too much of an issue? She's not a proof or anything I don't think - and the ugly solders aren't doing it any favours at all if the coin were in any way special.

u never know 🙄 just treat every coin the same 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

On 08/02/2019 at 15:05, PansPurse said:

Long/short is that it'll never be a numismatic piece. But if it has sentimental value then it's certainly got a story to tell

Oh, I know that - it's more can I do anything to about the paint - I think that it's a brooch forever now

10 hours ago, PansPurse said:

Ooh the pics are lovely. Yes that's a Morgan dollar (I think was the last year of issue for them and my personal favourite of the US silver dollars)

🙂 - guessing thy started to put the President's head on them after this?

So, the question remains... how to get the paint off - any more votes for Acetone bath?

54 minutes ago, NikolaAnne said:

🙂 - guessing thy started to put the President's head on them after this?

Actually they've generally kept president heads off the dollar coins (one exception being the Eisenhower coin in the nineteen seventies). But after the Peace dollars there's no real silver dollars until you get to modern silver eagles (the dollar coin from the seventies onwards is cupro-nickel). Weirdly from the Wikipedia article it looks like they minted so many Morgan and peace Dollars that they were able to meet demand for silver coins for decades without minting new ones.

The lower denomination coins do have presidents, although Kennedy replaced Benjamin Franklin on the half dollar (Franklin being a founding father and politician but never actually president)... Yes I've been doing some research (upcoming video nerding out on this :) )

I basically believe that the numismatic value of the coins is gone anyway, it is a piece of jewelry now.

This is clearly a stain, I would try soaking it in consecutively more potent sollutions until one works:
(distilled) water
soapy water
a simple (but higher octane) alcohol - I'm using Isopropanol
a sharper sollution like acetone

Soak at first, do not rub or brush.

Sorry, I didn't get my fingers on silver yet but with these pieces there's not much lost if damage should happen.

As Fekh2001 suggested: Acetone, to dissolve the varnish. 

I would be careful with soaking as there are three metals/alloys involved: silver/copper in the Dollar, steel in the needle and the solder. The solder will likely  corrode in the any ion-containing solution.

you could soak up most of the solder with copperthread if you carefully heat up the coin to the melting point of the solder (probably 700 Degree Celsius). This would also allow submerge the coin for a longer time with less worries in different solutions. I like linked to another thread in the 20 Francs thread but you probably would have to run it through a translator. 

Archived