• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Investing Over other Precious Metals

SilverPanFan

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start investing in gold over other precious metals and treat it the same way people invest in real estate where you put your money into something else to help it grow overtime while investing in the stock market and kind of like a "wealth" preserver. I'm not a huge fan on the bullion pieces like the American gold eagles and I'm more keen on pre 33 , and sovereigns, Canadian maple leafs, queens's beast, britania, etc. The reason why I want to invest in gold is for three reasons:

1. Silver for me is a "toy". I'm more of a numismatic collector of silver coins. I started a Barber half collection a few weeks ago with a 1911 half.

2. I feel platinum is to risky to invest in. Platinum is mainly used to make jewellery and for cars and the history of this metal being used in circulation is almost non existent and the price is pretty much stagnant right now.

3. I won't touch palladium. I don't know much about palladium so I won't be trying to collect or "stack" any coins or bars,

4. Gold is often better respected than the other metals, I like to think of silver as a poor man's gold because you can collect a ton of it right now, no one think about platinum, and no one outside of the precious metals community knows what palladium is. When you watch a movie, read a book, or see a tv show, when some one finds a treasure chest, it usually has gold in it and when people find sunken ships, they find gold. 

So, in summary, I am looking for a cost effective way to get some gold classic coins and bullion that isn't the American gold eagle.

As the title says investing, why then would you rite off other PM's. 

I would suggest doing some reading up on Monterey history ect ect and get to know the PM's your Inveting in.

Decide a strategy that suits what type of invester you are. 

Platinum... to risky!!!

Silver..... Toy

Palladium...I don't know to much.

Gold... better respected

Investing is about achieving a profit is it not.

Good luck đź‘Ť

I can sympathize with your ideas, let me give a couple of comments.

Stacking precious metals should be about liquidity and with that, as was already said, American Eagles are insanely popular where you live. Though a canadian and british heavy stack will not be the worst choice.

See to it that pre 33 does not get a hobby instead of an investment, you can pretty quickly breach the barrier to numismatics with these types of coins (I know, what I am talking about...).

On 1. Silver is indeed controversial. It is more of a speculative investment. You can use it to diversify, but it is not strictly needed when stacking for wealth preservation.

On 2. Platinum is somewhat guaranteed to go up again and if you are willing to hold it for 10 to 15 years, you may make a good cut. But it is not essential for your plans.

On 3. Palladium is a no go in my book as well. Also on a high at the moment (balances with Platinum, it is said).

On 4. In my eyes you cannot go wrong with Gold, as it's value is somewhat imprinted into our genes.

If you were from Europe, I would suggest digging into the immense range of historical trade coins of which many can be gotten at bullion prices. Nice fractional sizes, easy to get and sell, unsusceptible to handling (alloyed and circulated). You may find all this with pre 33 coins as well, I admit I do not know a lot about these. If it is similar, these will be a good choice.

Perhaps look into Mexican gold coins as well, which come in a large variety from tiny (Dos Pesos) to large (Centenario 50 Pesos, the precursor of the Libertad).

whether you go into Maples, Britannias, Libertads or QBs - you won't go wrong as these are government coins. You can find the lowest price there https://trustedpmdealers.com/compare-prices/format=bullion-coin;metal=gold;weight=1-oz
Almost all major dealers have free shipping and offer great deals - for example right now it's good  to take gold Maples from SD Bullion - $19 over spot
Good luck with your stack!

1 hour ago, KevinFlynn said:

On 2. Platinum is somewhat guaranteed to go up again and if you are willing to hold it for 10 to 15 years, you may make a good cut. But it is not essential for your plans.

My concern around platinum is that one of its primary uses is in catalytic converters, considering we are now in the early stages of a shift to electric vehicles in 10 - 15 years that demand could be significantly less unless they find an alternate use:

Image result for platinum use

5 hours ago, Groundup said:

As the title says investing, why then would you rite off other PM's. 

I would suggest doing some reading up on Monterey history ect ect and get to know the PM's your Inveting in.

Decide a strategy that suits what type of invester you are. 

Platinum... to risky!!!

Silver..... Toy

Palladium...I don't know to much.

Gold... better respected

Investing is about achieving a profit is it not.

Good luck đź‘Ť

I think of silver as something fun to collect rather than stack as it is know over here. While yes I could invest in silver, there are too many series I want to get into for purely on  numismatics side. 

stacking is about volume trades at bullion pieces.

collecting is about items that tell a story.

exit strategies for stacking usually involve a rise in the

spot price.

odd and interesting items can usually tell a good story.

it's likely more important to develop a keen eye with

some experience for future collectibles than the metal

content.

if you want do a 'sort your change for rare coins' effect,

then choose coins that are known to possibly contain

rewarding results. eg in the uk sorting 50p's is always fun.

it's more about the specific coin than the metal content. 

I feel that there are more opportunities for this in certain

coins, many of them happen to be gold.

HH

Archived