• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do you enjoy your gold/silver?

Sliopjbsail

Well this is something I would be interested in reading so I thought I’d ask it myself.

how do you enjoy your silver/gold or any other precious metal purchases? When you receive that package knowing what’s inside do you glance at each piece?thoroughly inspect each coin/bar,?hurry them away into a safe place? Are they purely a business arrangement or something you take great pride in? Do you leave them sealed in tubes and not even have a fondle?

In in the meantime between orders how do you enjoy your precious metals? Do you get them out every so often, just get your favorites out once in a while or every so often get everything out and look at it thinking “that’s some lovely shiny goodness” 😊 

sooooo,

how do you enjoy your precious? 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Partly, I enjoy it just knowing it's there.  Also, while I am primarily a stacker, I'm also a collector of coins that I find artistically appealing or historically interesting.  Sometimes I'll take them out and look at them more closely, just to appreciate the tiny work of art.

every time I buy a new piece of gold or silver I keep it close to me for almost a week and keep looking at it every time I get a chance hahaha and pretty much every weekend I get all my stack out and admire every single one of them hahaha my girlfriend hates it lol 

I also enjoy looking at my spreadsheet to see how much precious metal I have in weight and how much I've paid for them in total, how much premium has been paid in total, mint year, purchase date, spot price at the time of purchase, which ones have been sold with profit etc

First and foremost it is the knowledge that I have PMs in my physical possession and have hedged against unlikely event of SHTF. I sleep better knowing that I am diversified don't hold all my wealth in digits on the screen. Like everyone I am excited when receive delivery PMs and going through each item and cataloguing them on the spreadsheet. I have certain hand poured silver items keep on my desk for my lets have a play with the silver session (silver forum rounds/bars). I also taken a lot of photos everything I have (gold bullion) in the safety deposit box and sometimes look through these photos as I miss my 1 oz Gold Queens Beasts no longer residing in my residential address. Unfortunately I am emotionally attached to my hobby/lifestyle and cannot see myself selling any of the PMs collected/stacked but hoping this will subside with more time as some of my stack appreciated in premium.

33 minutes ago, StackerNoob said:

I'm quite partial to a random "lets have a play with the silver" session. I'll spend maybe 30 mins or so just looking at whatever I happen to have in the house at the time.

Yeah I sometimes just get some bars out or my biggest bar thinking “that’s one solid lump of goodness” 😋 

6 minutes ago, Nick1368 said:

every time I buy a new piece of gold or silver I keep it close to me for almost a week and keep looking at it every time I get a chance hahaha and pretty much every weekend I get all my stack out and admire every single one of them hahaha my girlfriend hates it lol 

I also enjoy looking at my spreadsheet to see how much precious metal I have in weight and how much I've paid for them in total, how much premium has been paid in total, mint year, purchase date, spot price at the time of purchase, which ones have been sold with profit etc

My girlfriend called me a “saddo” when I said I was gonna go and get my coins out lol. When I get something new that I really like it’s like when I was a kid with a new video game, that excitement to get back to it

3 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

I look at pictures of my stuff and my spreadsheet more than the actual goodies. More convenient.

When I have a delivery it's stashed away fairly quickly to avoid questions from the boss lady. 😉

We're both in the same boat Steve!

I like the feeling of knowing something is on the way to me. Then the excitement of opening and seeing for the first time.

After that I'll put away and not think about it.

Then after a month or so I like to have a look at all my collection. Its good when for forget that you have something, its like receiving it all over again. Must be what @sovereignsteve feels like when he looks at his 😄

4 minutes ago, Abyss said:

First and foremost it is the knowledge that I have PMs in my physical possession and have hedged against unlikely event of SHTF. I sleep better knowing that I am diversified don't hold all my wealth in digits on the screen. Like everyone I am excited when receive delivery PMs and going through each item and cataloguing them on the spreadsheet. I have certain hand poured silver items keep on my desk for my lets have a play with the silver session (silver forum rounds/bars). I also taken a lot of photos everything I have (gold bullion) in the safety deposit box and sometimes look through these photos as I miss my 1 oz Gold Queens Beasts no longer residing in my residential address. Unfortunately I am emotionally attached to my hobby/lifestyle and cannot see myself selling any of the PMs collected/stacked but hoping this will subside with more time as some of my stack appreciated in premium.

Yeah it’s a great feeling of security. I know what you mean about feeling “emotionally attached” because I’ve made a point of not selling ANYTHING since I started because I have part finished collections of series etc that I’m working on and want to complete when possible. I hate the thought of getting rid of stuff before I’ve achieved what I want. I feel I’m disloyal or something if I start getting selling at this point. 

Just now, Sliopjbsail said:

Yeah I have a handy list that I flick through when on the go. It’s like rereading that same love letter knowing there’s nothing new to be seen but you do it anyway 💕 😂 

If I were to get all my silver out to enjoy it would just myself in the house......most of the time when I get a delivery someone else is around and it feels like my precious items are exposed.

It really depends on the piece. Most items I buy are just for the stack. They are generic - will be tested if there are questions of authenticity, logged in the database then put away safely. Some pieces I really like and I'll spend a long while just enjoying having them around - really appreciating the work and details - the art of the piece really. My favourites I keep close to hand so I can just enjoy them whenever the mood strikes. I also have a handful of 80% silver Canadian Voyageur dollars in my desk as I enjoy playing with them. They are by far my favourite coin and it is lovely being able to just pick them up, play with them and again appreciate the design, etc.

9 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

It really depends on the piece. Most items I buy are just for the stack. They are generic - will be tested if there are questions of authenticity, logged in the database then put away safely. Some pieces I really like and I'll spend a long while just enjoying having them around - really appreciating the work and details - the art of the piece really. My favourites I keep close to hand so I can just enjoy them whenever the mood strikes. I also have a handful of 80% silver Canadian Voyageur dollars in my desk as I enjoy playing with them. They are by far my favourite coin and it is lovely being able to just pick them up, play with them and again appreciate the design, etc.

It’s nice to have some to pick up and not worry about damaging or toning. The nice stuff stays encapsulated safely away but I think some pocket coins are a nice idea while out and about 

58 minutes ago, Sliopjbsail said:

My girlfriend called me a “saddo” when I said I was gonna go and get my coins out lol. When I get something new that I really like it’s like when I was a kid with a new video game, that excitement to get back to it

I play my video games too🤣

I love getting something new - browsing, deciding, paying, waiting. Love getting the new item and I tend to keep it till I have a few purchases to store safely away from home. 

Does anybody ever get the tiny niggle in their mind that the item will get lost in the post? I've only had it with some Paddington coins - no PMs yet. But I do get a slight niggle after ordering, although not enough to really spoil it. 

2 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Its good when for forget that you have something, its like receiving it all over again. Must be what @sovereignsteve feels like when he looks at his 😄

I haven't seen mine for years😂

but no, seriously, with my aged brain, you don't know how close to the truth that is👴

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I haven't seen mine for years😂

but no, seriously, with my aged brain, you don't know how close to the truth that is👴

I cant imagine you being much older than late Forties. If you are than your young at heart 😂

7 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

I cant imagine you being much older than late Forties. If you are than your young at heart 😂

You flatterer 😊 but I am considerably older than that.

I've always advocated a younger wife and good wine😉

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

You flatterer 😊 but I am considerably older than that.

I've always advocated a younger wife and good wine😉

Yes i'll go with that, a younger wife, good wine and plenty of coins - what more can a man ask for - more coins of course !

Fortunately my Mrs knows nothing about coins at all ( except how to spend them ) so i can play at my leisure without interruption on a regular basis )

Archived