• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Original & Modern Sovereign Alloys

Britannia47

Shown  below are the original sovereigns on the left with modern representations on the right.

The 1870 'Australia' minted in Sydney contains a typical mix of gold and copper with a reddish hue. However the  2005 Commemorative Proof minted in Perth appears completely different and appears to have a greenish hue. I contacted the Perth mint to find out what the alloy was. In short they didn't know. Undeterred  I visited 'Bairds' this morning in Hatton Garden to have it analysed. As suspected it came back 91.7% gold and 8.3% silver - thus the difference in colour. Does anyone else have this coin ? - it comes with a red book.

Everyone will be more familiar with the next pair. Again why the difference in colour? On the left is my 1817 sovereign and the 2017 on the right. I found out that the coin contained 91.2% gold, 4% copper, 4.5% silver and 0.2% iron. All these alloys are added to make them more durable in circulation, but don't ask me about the iron. I don't know. 

Today the Royal Mint uses only copper in its alloy. I wonder if any gold coin today needs to be 22ct. If the Britannia has been successful in converting to 9999 gold as well as the 'Beasties' then why not the sovereign?  In 2020 the last of the Queens beasts will have been issued, and that seems to be an ideal time to start minting 9999 Sovereigns. Perhaps the specs. for the 1/4 oz could be used. I believe this could be a world beater and sell like hot cakes. After all the 'Sovereign' is already a world brand. MMTC-Pamp I'm sure would renew their contract, on the basis of its selling potential not just in India where 24 carat gold is preferred but throughout Asia. Perhaps I will pass this idea past the new CEO at the Royal Mint - Anne Jessop. She could be sitting on a gold mine - excuse the pun!

That's all for now folks.

IMG_E1570.JPG

IMG_E1611.JPG

To my mind comes this very helpful diagram of gold silver copper alloys

Ag-Au-Cu-colours-english.svg

from the corresponding Wikipedia page.

As for the other topic, I think the Sovereign would lose part of it's appeal if 24k. It would take away a part of the authenticity of the coin, which has a very long tradition.

But I admit I am a bullion only guy, and I like to handle my trade coins.

Sovs used to have silver in them rather than the current copper.....either way, the real world intention was to make them more durable in everyday use and I would be horrified if they went to 24K....it would signal the end of a common sense solution type of thinking to British ways.

Half copper half silver would be the alloy to return a deep yellow tone. Though anything under 10% silver should not have a greenish tint.

When in doubt, I would prefer alloyed copper, for reddish gold is warmer than whitish gold.

Official Sovereign 22k & Britannia 24k. Best of both old & new world. How many nations holds such interesting heritage? Crown gold (22k) was  created for reasons during its time of existence, Good delivery gold is now the way of the world.

Archived