• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do you stop milk spots?

JinKesef

I have read that some silver rounds have developed what looked like milky white spots on them which causes the value to decrease. I have not been able to find out what causes it to happen but I was hoping someone on here would know how to prevent it from happening. Does it also decrease the value of bars as well?

• Founder & Administrator

There are different types of milk spots, but mostly it is caused by the cleaning chemicals used in the production. The spots themselves may not show for sometime and then appear. I believe what is happening is the chemical oxidising after some time and therefore becomes visible.

The storage may help to reduce the visibility of spots, storing in a low humidity area for example (hard in the UK as it is very humid here). Coin capsules will also help, although not completely air tite. There are also air tite capsules and tubes, you could further try to keep the area you store coins in drier by using silicon gel sachets, you can also also get one in a tin that is rechargeable in an oven. https://www.amazon.com/Silica-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Orange-Chloride/dp/B015OTBKAA/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549328943&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=silica+gel+tint&psc=1 (link is just shown for information purposes. There are much cheaper suppliers of that product, even on amazon.com you can find)

Milk spots are found on different coins from different mints but mostly on a lot of Royal Canadian Mint coins, which is a big shame as they do produce some stunning bullion coin designs.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I don’t know, a Britannia in its capsule I gave to my son at Christmas was clear before he put it in his wallet. When he got home (an eight hour train journey) the obverse had developed a fair number of spots. Whether it was a reaction to his leather wallet, sweat in his pocket or diesel fumes in the train, I don’t know.

I’ve just used an India rubber to remove a spot on a Maple, I’ll just have to wait to see if it returns.

6 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

There are different types of milk spots, but mostly it is caused by the cleaning chemicals used in the production. The spots themselves may not show for sometime and then appear. I believe what is happening is the chemical oxidising after some time and therefore becomes visible.

The storage may help to reduce the visibility of spots, storing in a low humidity area for example (hard in the UK as it is very humid here). Coin capsules will also help, although not completely air tite. There are also air tite capsules and tubes, you could further try to keep the area you store coins in drier by using silicon gel sachets, you can also also get one in a tin that is rechargeable in an oven. https://www.amazon.com/Silica-Dehumidifier-Desiccant-Orange-Chloride/dp/B015OTBKAA/ref=sr_1_17_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549328943&sr=8-17-spons&keywords=silica+gel+tint&psc=1 (link is just shown for information purposes. There are much cheaper suppliers of that product, even on amazon.com you can find)

Milk spots are found on different coins from different mints but mostly on a lot of Royal Canadian Mint coins, which is a big shame as they do produce some stunning bullion coin designs.

That’s so true! I love the maple leaf design but the queen really turns me off 

thank you!

It doesn't reduce the value if your talking in terms of bullion, only how quickly it sells. Some people want perfect silver.

If the coin has numismatic value then yes value is lost when spotting occurs but it does not affect the value of the base metal.

In my experience you can try to prevent it from happening but it still happens and I cannot say if airtites or silica help as I have had coins spot regardless.

Silver tarnishing can occur through exposure to hydrogen sulfide in the air (occurring "naturally" but in ever higher concentrations since industrialisation). Don't know if milk spots are a symptom of this or are exacerbated by it. Damn annoying when it happens! 

13 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

The RCM may or may not have been most prone to milk spots in the past, but as of last year they're the only mint that claims to prevent milk spots. They developed a new technology called Mint Shield aimed at preventing them: https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/2018/02/royal-canadian-mint-develops-milk-spot-fix.all.html

On 05/02/2019 at 12:17, Finbinfin said:

Silver tarnishing can occur through exposure to hydrogen sulfide in the air (occurring "naturally" but in ever higher concentrations since industrialisation). Don't know if milk spots are a symptom of this or are exacerbated by it. Damn annoying when it happens! 

This would explain why, when buying tubes of coins, the top coin of the tube is often spotted upon opening - greater exposure to the air.  I'm sure i can't be the only person that's noticed this top-of-the-tube problem. I've had it with Britannia's, Maples and Queen's Beasts - top coin often looks horrible but everything underneath is fine. As a result the only tubes of small silver coins I'll buy these days are 9999 coins from Perth Mint - never had a problem with any of them.  Seeing the state of the first QB lion when i pulled it out of the tube completely put me off collecting them - a milk spotted Queen's head and the edge of the coin looks like someone spat a load of toothpaste all around it. (Edit: what's the point of collecting a series if you're afraid it'll spoil itself when you're not looking?)

I just received some Somalia elephants that are pretty spotted.  They were purchased from an online dealer.  Just wondering what the protocol on this is.  Do you contact them and complain or possibly return the item?

Archived