• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Shop around

katmonkey

I was in town this morning and walked past a shop with 1 ounce gold Krugs, Brits. for sale. They had a price tag of £1300!

My question is how can they charge this amount of money? Even if your a Newbie a quick internet search will reveal much lower prices. Do they just prey on gullible people with too much money? I was Edinburgh last year just before Christmas. A pawn shop there had Brits for sale at £1100. Now obviously this is still over priced but not as bad as £1300!

Any thoughts please...

It's the ol' adage:  Buyer Beware!  Perhaps the casual customer sees gold at $1300 and doesn't do the math for £1300.  So yes:  this seller is gouging (as we say across the pond).  He wouldn't last 10 minutes at a coin show.  A quick look at eBay I found a few listings with exorbitant gold pricing, but then again eBayr listing/selling fees are nearing 10%.   When I was in business school, the professor gave us an assignment:  go out an find 5 businesses that are clearly demonstrating price gouging.  At the next class, the students stood up and talked about our findings and philosophical discussions ensued.  The next assignment:  go find out how long those 5 businesses have been in business.  In 90% of the cases, the businesses were long lived (5 years or more).  Being the good (but frustrating) professor, he asked at the next class the "so what?" question.  The big take away for me was the fact that "...it's working for them" and who am I to complain?  I can always vote with my feet.  Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders

Archived